Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
I'll be taking a long trip this summer and I feel that my iPad Pro 11" is far to large and so I'm wondering if an iPad mini would be a better option.

I'd like to hear from iPad mini owners and what they do and don't like about their mini.

My usage will be primarily content consumption, reading, games from apple arcade, web and movies. I'm looking at a 10+ hour flight and two weeks on holiday. Since I need to pack for extended trip, I am looking to minimize and consolidate where I can.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I’d certainly go for the Mini in the situation you describe. I have the Mini 6, having had the 5 before that. The only time I wish I had a bigger screen is when watching video at home, as when I am away I know it is the best size to have.

I bought the Mini in store, having checked out the Air and concluding that it was just a bit too big for me. The Mini is perfect to hold for long periods if needed. The 8.3” version is nicer to watch video on than the 7.9”, so in that respect it is a nice middle ground.

The 10.9 Air has the same footprint as your 11 Pro and there is very little difference between those and the 10.2 when your concern is portability. The 9th Gen is actually taller. That leaves the Mini or an older 9.7” if you can get hold of one. These have 2GB RAM max, so not ideal in 2022, especially when using Apple Arcade I’d think (I don’t use this.)

What don’t I like about the Mini? OS 15 is a mess on it, with the wasted space on the home screen. The price - it felt a bit too expensive when I got it around launch, but is even more so now given that the Air 5 has double the RAM and the M1 chip for £90 more. Also the 64GB base isn’t great for use as a travel device, depending on how many movies you’ll need etc.

Potentially the jelly scroll - I rarely notice it but you could buy now, return before your holiday and take your Pro if it is a dealbreaker for you.

Reactions: IJBrekke

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’d certainly go for the Mini in the situation you describe. I have the Mini 6, having had the 5 before that. The only time I wish I had a bigger screen is when watching video at home, as when I am away I know it is the best size to have.

I bought the Mini in store, having checked out the Air and concluding that it was just a bit too big for me. The Mini is perfect to hold for long periods if needed. The 8.3” version is nicer to watch video on than the 7.9”, so in that respect it is a nice middle ground.

The 10.9 Air has the same footprint as your 11 Pro and there is very little difference between those and the 10.2 when your concern is portability. The 9th Gen is actually taller. That leaves the Mini or an older 9.7” if you can get hold of one. These have 2GB RAM max, so not ideal in 2022, especially when using Apple Arcade I’d think (I don’t use this.)

What don’t I like about the Mini? OS 15 is a mess on it, with the wasted space on the home screen. The price - it felt a bit too expensive when I got it around launch, but is even more so now given that the Air 5 has double the RAM and the M1 chip for £90 more. Also the 64GB base isn’t great for use as a travel device, depending on how many movies you’ll need etc.

Potentially the jelly scroll - I rarely notice it but you could buy now, return before your holiday and take your Pro if it is a dealbreaker for you.

I can't even use the 6.1" iPhones single handed much less the iPad mini. For me, either 8.3" or 11" fits in my purse, backpack front pocket, etc. so there's no practical difference between the two for me for bringing on vacation.

The 9.7-11" is actually a perfect middle ground for me between 12.9" and 8.3", otherwise, I'd end up bringing two iPads.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I can't even use the 6.1" iPhones single handed much less the iPad mini. For me, either 8.3" or 11" fits in my purse, backpack front pocket, etc. so there's no practical difference between the two for me for bringing on vacation.

The 9.7-11" is actually a perfect middle ground for me between 12.9" and 8.3", otherwise, I'd end up bringing two iPads.

Similar thoughts here, to me it makes no practical difference bringing a mini or the smaller Pro. I often just travel with my iPhone, and maybe a dedicated camera in my case but no iPad.

Reactions: rui no onna

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
The form factor of the 9.7" Pro, the current 10.2" iPad, and the current Air or 11" Pro are not meaningfully different, IMO. I recently upgraded from an old 9.7" Pro to the 11" Pro and the 11 is just slightly larger. I've never used a Mini so ..., I know when traveling minimizing size and weight is important. Unless we're skiing, we generally limit ourselves to a carry on (actual carry on size, not a "maybe this will fit in the overhead bin and maybe no one will tell me it's too big) and personal item. That said, unless you're using a bag that holds the Mini but not the larger iPad, I don't really think you'll gain much with respect to economy of size or weight. My 11" takes almost no room in my personal bag. Cords, chargers, etc. are going to be essentially the same. I'd also say I'm not a young guy and really value the extra screen size. I'd also assume you're not taking a laptop, which I find takes up considerably more space and weight.

Reactions: rui no onna

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I think all iPads can do all those tasks listed pretty well, just obviously at different sizes, so I think the size you should bring is really just determined by the physical situations in which you will want to use the iPad. Ie. Do you want to hold it or set it on a table or your lap? If hold, do you require one handed holding? For how long? (But also note- accessories like a pop socket can help with holding.) Do you want to carry it in your coat pocket or in a bag?
The other variable is what can you offload to your other devices like your phone.

As far as tasks, there might be a couple things larger iPads might be uniquely able to do—load desktop websites, and split screen on smaller iPads might be barely unusable. Edit- I mean barely usable.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
At least for me, web browsing is one task where I prefer at least 9.7”.

My eyes aren’t what they used to be and the iPad mini is usually a compromise between full desktop layout and readable font size.
Can’t you just increase font size with the AA button at the left of the search bar?

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

Similar thoughts here, to me it makes no practical difference bringing a mini or the smaller Pro. I often just travel with my iPhone, and maybe a dedicated camera in my case but no iPad.
Definitely no iPad can be used one-handed, with one’s thumb (unless with some crazy accessory I’ve never seen), but I’m able to comfortably hold my iPad Mini one-handed pretty much indefinitely for reading/video, but only with a pop socket (edit- plus my thumb is free for scrolling/page-turning at least). Without a pop socket, I can hold it one-handed comfortably, but not indefinitely. But even with a pop socket, I find any heavier/bigger iPad gets tiring too quickly, and even other bulkier accessories than a pop socket adds more weight than I like.

Last edited:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Buy an iPhone 13PM. Size is obviously a little smaller but after owning both I always reached for my PM as the Mini UI is terrible and far too many accommodations had to be made to do the most basic things. Simply wasn’t worth it.

Reactions: Dealmans

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Can’t you just increase font size with the AA button at the left of the search bar?

As I mentioned, it's a compromise.

Increasing zoom to a comfortable size for me (around same font size as 9.7-11") normally gives me the mobile layout instead of desktop layout. It also requires a lot more scrolling since there's less content onscreen. Hence, I prefer at least 9.7" for web browsing.

Reactions: GubbyMan

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Definitely no iPad can be used one-handed, with one’s thumb (unless with some crazy accessory I’ve never seen), but I’m able to comfortably hold my iPad Mini one-handed pretty much indefinitely for reading/video, but only with a pop socket (edit- plus my thumb is free for scrolling/page-turning at least). Without a pop socket, I can hold it one-handed comfortably, but not indefinitely. But even with a pop socket, I find any heavier/bigger iPad gets tiring too quickly, and even other bulkier accessories than a pop socket adds more weight than I like.

I have small hands, carpal tunnel and tendonitis. I use a pop socket with my Kindle Paperwhite (sub-200g). Anything bigger/heavier is a no go.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
As I mentioned, it's a compromise.

Increasing zoom to a comfortable size for me (around same font size as 9.7-11") normally gives me the mobile layout instead of desktop layout. It also requires a lot more scrolling since there's less content onscreen. Hence, I prefer at least 9.7" for web browsing.

I have small hands, carpal tunnel and tendonitis. I use a pop socket with my Kindle Paperwhite (sub-200g). Anything bigger/heavier is a no go.
Oh I didn’t know about the switch to mobile layout. But personally, mobile layout and a little more scrolling are easy trade offs for me if it means I get to use a device that I find a comfortable size and weight (especially bc I can easily scroll with my thumb while holding the Mini one-handed with the pop socket). But it’s not comfortable for you so that’s understandably not a good trade off. Carpal and tendinitis, that’s rough. Hope it gets better!

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
I'll be taking a long trip this summer and I feel that my iPad Pro 11" is far to large and so I'm wondering if an iPad mini would be a better option.

I'd like to hear from iPad mini owners and what they do and don't like about their mini.

My usage will be primarily content consumption, reading, games from apple arcade, web and movies. I'm looking at a 10+ hour flight and two weeks on holiday. Since I need to pack for extended trip, I am looking to minimize and consolidate where I can.
I would take both, tbh. The mini would be great on the flight and while moving around the vacation spots, the 11” would be better when I’d get back to my room or where movement would be much lesser.

JM91Six

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2019
iPad mini 6 is the way to go. I just sold my 11” IPP. I loved the keyboard and size and stuff.. but it overlapped to much with my MBP16. Mini is much more comfortable for consuming content to me.

Try a mini out though and see what you think. It’s still snappy. But no 120hz is a bummer. I love how i can bring that iPad around anywhere, use comfortably one handed… and the size is such a convenience to me.

I also found the letterboxing to be less intrusive on the mini for watching videos. Split screen is still doable with Reddit on one side, twitter on the other and a pip video. I love my mini.

Reactions: GubbyMan

leagueoflegos

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2022
I've really enjoyed my Mini 6 w/cellular, especially for travel or when I go into town (live off grid). It easily fits in my small day sling or glove compartment. The Unlimited 5G (T-Mobile) is great to have, and definitely is used when I'm away from home.

Sometimes I watch media in bed, but use it more often for music outside if I'm working. Primarily use it for reading news/manga (books reserved for kobo), study Japanese via several grammar/writing/dictionary apps, ProCreate for quick sketches or a reference and tester for Graphic/Web projects. I play some puzzle/card games, and adding a PS/XBOX controller is really great (when supported) for others.

I have the iPhone 12 PM, but the Apple Pencil input makes all the difference for me, even if screen sizes are closest of the two line-ups. It has basically replaced my 2018 12.9" iPad Pro, which is now primarily an external screen for my MBP.

The biggest con for me is typing. I've tried to get along with Scribble, but it's tough to get comfortable without awkward hand positions to reach fields near edges of screen (maybe because I'm a lefty?). I get by with the split keyboard, but would probably say dictation is easiest for searches or short input.

I thought I'd hate Touch ID, but I've adjusted. I don't notice the Jelly Scroll or non-Pro Motion refresh rates. I do notice the higher PPI—best in Apple's line-up I believe.

I'm going on an international trip soon and definitely taking my Mini, along with my Kobo and iPhone. Leaving behind my MPB, 12.9" iPad and Switch.

As others suggested, buy and try it with the 14-day return policy in mind. Hopefully you come to enjoy it, and if not, you can return w/o a problem.

Sorry for the long reply—hopefully it's helpful!

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I've played with the Mini 6 in a store and really like it. It's the perfect size for traveling IMO. I still don't see the jelly scrolling, but maybe I just don't know how to look for it. That's a good thing. Why would I want to find something to dislike?

The biggest con about it IMO is the 4GB RAM. Not that it's terrible or anything, but it feels so far removed from the RAM on the Pros and current Air. Chances are, this year's 10th gen iPad will have caught up to the Mini in terms of RAM. Sure, 4GB will be fine for basic use for a good while, but it'll surely limit it in terms of multitasking and the full use of certain apps.

Also, the volume buttons on the top is an ingenious solution to the exclusive Pencil housing area, but it's weird to figure out which one is volume up or volume down when it's in portrait orientation. I'm sure it's easy to get used to, though.

Overall, the redesign is very well done. I wouldn't want it to be my only iPad, since I like the bigger screens sometimes, but it offers an appealing experience for those wanting a more compact iPadOS device.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
The lack of ProMotion is, for me, a massive downside. The max storage of 256GB is a bit annoying as well. Overall it's an incredible little device, but I think mine is about to go up for sale. Have found my 11" Pro to have mostly replaced it, when the original intention was for them to complement each other.

I looooooooove the fact that I can grip it with one hand, though.

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I’d just keep the 11” Pro. It’s not that much bigger than the mini and is still pretty small

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

Battery life is a little bit better on the 11" Pro. I have both iPads and here is my experience:
When at home, I use my Mini almost exclusively at bed or on the couch. Doing casual stuff really works very well. My iPad Pro is used when I want to do more browsing, or watch a movie, since it has a bigger and better display.
Two weeks ago I went on a trip. When I was packing I was really planning to get the Mini, but then I realized that while the Mini is great when traveling, when I arrive in my destination I would want something bigger and better. This made me change my mind and I actually took both devices with me, but if I had to choose I would probably just get the Pro, since it is not that big and offers a much better display and speakers. I like my Mini a lot, but sometimes I just prefer the bigger screen of the Pro.

DarthVader!

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Mustafar
Buy an iPhone 13PM
That's really not in the cards, my iPhone is too new, and to be honest, using the larger iPhone for day to day stuff is just too much for me. Thanks for the input though

I use a pop socket with my Kindle Paperwhite
Great idea, I saw others using that on smaller tablets as well
I would take both, tbh
I appreciate the suggestion, but if I were to bring the larger one, then there's little reason for me to buy the mini. I think for basic usage, that is hand held the mini may be better for me. I agree while in the hotels the Pro will be better, but given how I'm trying to reduce what I take, Its not going to be feasible. Thanks for the input however

iPad mini 6 is the way to go. I just sold my 11” IPP. I loved the keyboard and size and stuff.. but it overlapped to much with my MBP16. Mini is much more comfortable for consuming content to me.
Thanks, I'm thinking that anyways. The trip was the final straw that broke the camels back, but these products are not cheap. My usage tends to be holding the iPad, not having it on a desk. Arm/hand fatigue sets in early on. With Obi Wan chopping off my arms and legs, the mechanical ones just transmit pain through by burned stumps

The lack of ProMotion is, for me, a massive downside. The max storage of 256GB
FWIW, I never notice the difference between 60hz, and 120. No on my iPhone, nor my iPad.

I’d just keep the 11” Pro. It’s not that much bigger than the mini and is still pretty small
That is a risk, but I do like using my kindle paper white more for reading then the larger iPad. Movies will certainly be better on the Pro
Battery life is a little bit better on the 11" Pro.
That's one of the disappointments I have with the Pro. My iPad's battery is a lot worse then I expect it too. Normal usage over a course of a night sees the battery drop significantly. Maybe my expectations are out of line with reality, or maybe my iPad is one of those that doesn't have good battery life but I can't imagine battery life being terribly worse.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Why buy another device for limited use scenario when you already have one to utilize. It's your money.

BTW iPad mini is great I use it frequently use it for travel, easily held with one hand, buy the new shinny!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I would take both, tbh. The mini would be great on the flight and while moving around the vacation spots, the 11” would be better when I’d get back to my room or where movement would be much lesser.

Same here with my 12.9 and 5G Mini 6. For me, traveling with both wouldn't be onerous but I can understand wanting to minimize, in which case I'd go with the Mini.

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
I mean... is it worth $500 to save 6 ounces of weight and 1.5" or so in each dimension for a couple of weeks? That's the difference between the 11 Pro and the Mini 6.

Given everything I pack for a vacation the utterly trivial size and weight difference wouldnt be worth it for me. But you're you and as in so many of these cases, it's up to your wants and finances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.