Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Currently have a mini 5 that is used mainly for media consumption, and is the holiday iPad for this as well. We have other iPads that use at home.

Thinking of upgrading to the mini 6, as has bigger screen in same physical size. More screen is better normally.

However I believe this is a different format now? so is this better or worse for watching movies, TV etc? Does the 7.9” > 8.3” make a difference?

Just looked at old Amazon fire 8, and it’s screen shape also is different to the mini 5.

Anyone have a mini 6, that came from an older 7.9” mini that watched movies, TV etc comment?

Also the mini 6 took a massive hike in prices in UK from initial release (£479 to £569) “because” of price fluctuations….that’s a large increase.

So I’m thinking is 64Gb enough, it has a USB-C now for easier USB pen drive access. But can you download Apple TV+, Netflix, Prime etc, shows to only the internal memory still?

Also read a about the screen wobble, heard some say doesn’t bother, some does. Is this only when scrolling? So for media watching, games it doesn’t matter?

Thanks.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The aspect ratio of the 8.3” mini is closer to 16:9 than the 7.9” minis so for most modern videos, yes, it’s better.

You can only download Netflix, AppleTV+, etc. to internal storage.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
The aspect ratio of the 8.3” mini is closer to 16:9 than the 7.9” minis so for most modern videos, yes, it’s better.
Trying to find the actual screen physical size in mm but can’t seem to find comparisons to work out the aspect ratio.

You can only download Netflix, AppleTV+, etc. to internal storage.
that’s a pity. Surely it’s technically possible to still lock it to the iPad it’s on for copyright, sure Android allow this. I know it’s Apple price to pay as want you to up storage.

Just thinking 64Gb isn’t enough, what with iPadOS and the apps on, won’t be much room, Apple TV+ is Gb’s in size for even TV series episodes.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Trying to find the actual screen physical size in mm but can’t seem to find comparisons to work out the aspect ratio.

It’s around 3:2.

64GB is small especially if you’re downloading videos at high quality. That said, since the display is fairly small, even 720p looks decent on it.

I’m not sure if AppleTV+ gives you download quality options but I know Amazon Prime, Disney+ and Netflix do. Just don’t expect to be able to download a lot of episodes even at standard quality.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I have the Mini 6 and gave my daughter my Mini 5. Yes, the aspect ration favors the Mini 6, but if I'm honest, you're not going to see dramatic differences. You're going to get the black boxes with either model.

At this point, I would either wait for a massive price drop on the Mini 6 or just keep your Mini 5 and wait for the new 7 if/when it comes out. I think the Mini 5 is all the iPad you would probably need at this point if it's just for watching movies.

I don't primarily use my Mini for just movies, but having the ability to use one Apple Pencil between my Mini 6 and iPad Pro has made my life a LOT more convenient.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have the Mini 6 and gave my daughter my Mini 5. Yes, the aspect ration favors the Mini 6, but if I'm honest, you're not going to see dramatic differences. You're going to get the black boxes with either model.

At this point, I would either wait for a massive price drop on the Mini 6 or just keep your Mini 5 and wait for the new 7 if/when it comes out. I think the Mini 5 is all the iPad you would probably need at this point if it's just for watching movies.

I don't primarily use my Mini for just movies, but having the ability to use one Apple Pencil between my Mini 6 and iPad Pro has made my life a LOT more convenient.

Think your correct on pretty much all your points tbh.

You couldn’t do me a favour and measure the width and height in mm of the actual screen of the 6? Just so I could compare with the 5 to see.

I’m presuming that the top and bottom chin are now just screen, but interested to know, as the 5 and 6 are virtually same size how it looks.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
The jelly-scroll issue ("wobble") won't affect the viewing of movies at all. The effect is only seen when scrolling. Not everyone notices it, either. And while I am among those who do see it, but it doesn't bother me because I'm not trying to read or view images while I'm scrolling. I stop scrolling when actually viewing content.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
we got mini 5 and 6

mini 6 - wobble screen no (Yesterday RIP), website not good full screen, no full screen external.

me - mini 6 replacement .. not sure 6 the latest , maybe wait can offer but not mini more

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have the mini 6 and prior to that I had every generation of the mini including the 5 which I upgraded from. At first I was skeptical about the new aspect ratio. I use my mini for a lot of different things including browsing, reading news, games but I also spend a large amount of time watching videos. I would say the new aspect ratio is better for watching videos. You get more content on the screen. I don’t notice the jelly scrolling, it’s never been an issue for me. I’ve had my mini since it launched. I opted for 64GB. It’s a secondary iPad as I also own a 256GB iPad Pro. I find the 64GB to be fine. I can fit what I want on it and don’t find myself wanting or needing more space.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
that’s a pity. Surely it’s technically possible to still lock it to the iPad it’s on for copyright, sure Android allow this. I know it’s Apple price to pay as want you to up storage.

Just thinking 64Gb isn’t enough, what with iPadOS and the apps on, won’t be much room, Apple TV+ is Gb’s in size for even TV series episodes.

If you want more movies available than can fit in internal storage, you probably need 256GB over 64GB and you could have upwards of unlimited movie storage with an external drive(s) that works with iPad. Those probably won't work with rental/streaming movies stored locally but you can always rip your own and then sync up to all of your collection on the external(s) you have with you.

You could also store a lot of video content in the cloud and then stream it to the iPad like streaming from streaming services also in the cloud. Again, this involves "owning" movies/shows instead of just renting them but it's basically the same idea as external storage.

Presumably, you have times when you can't stream directly from the streaming service, so you manage what is local from the cloud when you are in places where you can dump some watched stuff to free up space and replace it with unwatched stuff from the cloud. in other words, you stop somewhere where you have internet, so you reload fresh videos. In spots with no internet, you consume whatever you have on device.

Still another option is to bring along a laptop with likely much greater storage in which you can load it up with all of the movies & shows you think you might want to watch... then sync a selection to iPad as needed. Again the big hard drive loaded with even more can work with that laptop option too, as can video storage in the cloud. Sync to iPad when it suits you and you can mostly leave the laptop in luggage except for when you want to re-load iPad again with fresh video.

Reactions: MiniApple

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you want more movies available than can fit in internal storage, you probably need 256GB over 64GB and you could have upwards of unlimited movie storage with an external drive(s) that works with iPad. Those probably won't work with rental/streaming movies stored locally but you can always rip your own and then sync up to all of your collection on the external(s) you have with you.

You could also store a lot of video content in the cloud and then stream it to the iPad like streaming from streaming services also in the cloud. Again, this involves "owning" movies/shows instead of just renting them but it's basically the same idea as external storage.

Presumably, you have times when you can't stream directly from the streaming service, so you manage what is local from the cloud when you are in places where you can dump some watched stuff to free up space and replace it with unwatched stuff from the cloud. in other words, you stop somewhere where you have internet, so you reload fresh videos. In spots with no internet, you consume whatever you have on device.

Still another option is to bring along a laptop with likely much greater storage in which you can load it up with all of the movies & shows you think you might want to watch... then sync a selection to iPad as needed. Again the big hard drive loaded with even more can work with that laptop option too, as can video storage in the cloud. Sync to iPad when it suits you and you can mostly leave the laptop in luggage except for when you want to re-load iPad again with fresh video.

The laptop isn't necessary unless you use it to download purchased iTunes videos with DRM. For DRM free videos, external HDD works just as well.

For the same volume/weight as the laptop, you can carry several 5TB 2.5" HDDs which gives you oodles more storage than a laptop can.

Mind, one benefit of the laptop is it can share videos to multiple devices at the same time. A couple of times I went on vacation, I carried a laptop and a portable router. We used the laptop as a Plex Media Server to serve 4x iPhones and 4x iPads, as well as a Plex client/media player directly connected to the TV.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, I mostly brought it up because laptops are most popular Mac and OP may own a laptop. If so, they may have enough storage in laptop to reload their iPad several times as they travel vs. spending more money on a dedicated hard drive.

Of course, they may also already own portable hard drives they could bring into play for this use too.

So whatever works.

I suspect OP really wants to be able to download and store locally from streaming services and those being locked to devices means their available storage space is capped at 64GB or 256GB and at least the former is seeming too tight for their needs (and the latter is potentially undesirable based on added cost).

So hard drive or laptop can reload the cheapest iPad option, or they can pay up for 256GB to add much more space to do it as they apparently want.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, I mostly brought it up because laptops are most popular Mac and OP may own a laptop. If so, they may have enough storage in laptop to reload their iPad several times as they travel vs. spending more money on a dedicated hard drive.

Of course, they may also already own portable hard drives they could bring into play for this use too.

So whatever works.

I suspect OP really wants to be able to download and store locally from streaming services and those being locked to devices means their available storage space is capped at 64GB or 256GB and at least the former is seeming too tight for their needs (and the latter is potentially undesirable based on added cost).

So hard drive or laptop can reload the cheapest iPad option, or they can pay up for 256GB to add much more space to do it as they apparently want.

Yeah, Netflix, Disney+, etc., no other choice except for internal storage. I really wish the iPad mini (and Air) came with a 512GB option.

I have a 1TB SSD on the laptop but modern PC games take up a ton of space so I don't store any videos on that. I find it a lot cheaper to just get a 5TB portable HDD for ~$100 if using it just to store videos. Mechanical drives are plenty fast enough for simple media playback.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Anyone ditch your iPad Pro for mini?any regrets?

I did. No regrets. Love the size. I notice but don’t care about the 60hz screen for my uses. Wouldn’t go back to the Pro. I use my iPad so much more now just due to the size alone.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
I did. No regrets. Love the size. I notice but don’t care about the 60hz screen for my uses. Wouldn’t go back to the Pro. I use my iPad so much more now just due to the size alone.
is there anything u feel that mini can't do what ipad pro can ?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I love my mini 6, better for content and such a perfect on the go tablet. iPad Pro at home and mini on the go

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
ain't that a bit redundant to have to 2 ipads?

Unlike many here who'd like one device to do it all, I don't consider redundancy a bad thing. To me, redundancy means having a backup to use in case one fails or (more often) just out of battery.

Mind, there's not much overlap between the iPad mini and bigger iPads for my usage.

The mini is my current EDC. I use it exclusively in portrait mode and is actually more like an iPhone Super Max for me.

The 12.9” I use mostly while at my desk. It’s usually in landscape mode except for when I’m using it to review PDFs.

The 10-11” is used for couch/bed surfing and 2-page/column ebook/manga reader, and is my “big” iPad for travel.

Reactions: Student of Life
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.