Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deaddisco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2007
Hi guys

I just bought a iPad mini retina wifi version in HK online apple store. It's my first ipad. I travel alot to Europe especially Paris and to the US, New york

I'm a little bit worried about being about to tether ( iphone to iPad) with prepaid sims that i get in Paris and New York.

Should i just change the wifi ipad to a 3G version? Or is it easy enough to get prepaid sim that allows tethering ?

The online store is already processing my order so i can't change it and in HK the 3G version is not available to buy yet, only the wifi version is available for sale. I've been told that i can refund it within 1 or 2 weeks after i receive my shipment but there would be a 15% service charge. :(

Should i change? I would like to have the option of 3G but if it's easy enough to get prepaid sims for tethering purposes, then 3G or not shouldn't make much of a difference.

Any prepaid sim that allows tethering ( good plans) recommendation in Paris or New York?

Thank you guys

JazzG

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
I can't speak for other countries but whenever I go America usually buy an AT&T 50GB SIM for like $50 and use that to tether to my phone and call home via Skype/Viber/Facetime. If you go to CVS Pharmacy they sell prepaid Manilla VISA cards, top them up, go to AT&T and get them to set it up for you. You can try with your credit card but find international ones usually don't work.

With the 4G speeds as well internet is super fast, don't even bother with hotel WIFI as it usually so slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.