Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan92w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Hi all,

I'm keen to update to iOS 9, and don't envisage the hardware having any problems running it. However, I've tried multiple times to make the upgrade, without success. I can download the software fine, but the stage at which the iPad gets stuck is after running the 'loading' bar, where it goes into a loop with the Apple logo on a black screen. This doesn't change whether I download the software on my iPad alone or whether I plug it into my laptop and do it through iTunes.

Any ideas?!

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Do a backup (with password!) in iTunes, put iPad in DFU-mode and update to iOS 9 that way.
Afterwards you can restore your backup.

I saw that happening on the iPad Air 1 of my father, I also couldn't update to iOS 9 using the "normal" ways. The DFU-mode update worked just fine. :)

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
It's Steve Jobs reaching up from the grave and doing you a favor.

iOS 9 has not been great on my mini 2.

Well, with reduce transparency enabled it's pretty great. Without? Kinda frame droppy tbh. I hate the nasty looking UI though but I've grown to deal with it I think. At least for awhile. It's been like a week with the setting enabled I think and this is the longest I've been able to stand it lol. Smooth as smooth can be now. Except still occasional issues in the app switcher but it's MUCH less of an issue now.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
iOS 9 has not been great on my mini 2.

Well, with reduce transparency enabled it's pretty great. Without? Kinda frame droppy tbh. I hate the nasty looking UI though but I've grown to deal with it I think. At least for awhile. It's been like a week with the setting enabled I think and this is the longest I've been able to stand it lol. Smooth as smooth can be now. Except still occasional issues in the app switcher but it's MUCH less of an issue now.

This ^ mirrors my experience and thoughts exactly.

iOS 9 makes the iPad mini 2 feel laggy, but the trick that XTheLancerX described definitely helps. I turn on both the "reduce transparency" as well as "reduce motion" to help speed up the device animations back to normal and haven't had an issue with iOS 9 since.

The only thing I hate about the reduce transparency trick is that with it on the keyboard wont give you any indication of which keys you've pressed when typing on it :(

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
This ^ mirrors my experience and thoughts exactly.

iOS 9 makes the iPad mini 2 feel laggy, but the trick that TheLancerX described definitely helps. I turn on both the "reduce transparency" as well as "reduce motion" to help speed up the device animations back to normal and haven't had an issue with iOS 9 since.
I wish I could keep the setting enabled like you but I always fall for the eye candy and turn it back off lol I've been doing good with it so far, still enabled though like I said. Another thing that gets me is the lack of key tap indicators on the white keyboard. Sort of annoying.

The horrible frame drops probably hurt the experience more than the nasty solid grays, blacks, and whites though. Just have to find a wallpaper that goes with it decently.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's all well and good that you guys don't like iOS 9, but the OP has no option at this point. The iPad needs to be restored to be functional again and the only option for that is 9.2.
I use an iPad mini 3 with the same CPU as the 2 on 9.2 and find it to work just fine.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
It's all well and good that you guys don't like iOS 9, but the OP has no option at this point. The iPad needs to be restored to be functional again and the only option for that is 9.2.
I use an iPad mini 3 with the same CPU as the 2 on 9.2 and find it to work just fine.
Oh sorry I didn't catch that the iPad wasn't functioning at all or sent into a bootloop. Why does he say "Every time" though? That means he's tried going OTA multiple times which means the iPad is still functioning. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.