Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midnight555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
I recently bought an iPad mini. I was thing about buying the Zagg HD screen protector. My question is do you recommend this screen protector and do you recommend that I have it professionally installed by Best Buy or some place like this?

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Hi,

I doubt best buy has "professional & certified" installers of screen protectors. :p

However, they may have experience in doing this for other customers.

Glueing screen protections is a little tricky, so if you don't have a little do-it-yourself capabilities it would be better to find someone that can/has done it.

Best buy, or a friend can be good options.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you just want to protect the screen, don't get Zagg, get screen protectors that are just for the front of the iPad. They are easier to install, and IMO they feel better on your fingers.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Get the Moshi ivisor , it's a bit expensive but worth every penny . Installed in 30 seconds , no bubbles and can be removed , washed and reinstalled .

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Horror story!!

I recently bought an iPad mini. I was thing about buying the Zagg HD screen protector. My question is do you recommend this screen protector and do you recommend that I have it professionally installed by Best Buy or some place like this?

Horror story:
While at best buy about 6 months ago in the very busy spring branch area of Houston Texas, I watched a best buy employee 'professionally' install a Zagg screen protector. He DOUSED the iPad and then DOUSED the screen protector with application fluid and proceeded with its application while the iPad was lying on a thin towel that was pretty damp. When I asked if that could harm the iPad, his reply was that he had installed dozens of these and has not had a problem yet.
The customer seemed pretty much unaware of what harm that might be being caused. (obviously I wasn't an English major)
Even though I currently have a screen protector on my iPad rMini and one of my larger iPads, I did install them myself. Normally however, I do not have screen protectors on any of my devices as they sometimes hamper my ability to hand write on the device with a microfiber stylus. I take heavy notes on the rMini once a month for a company newsletter. (My readers wish that I had been an English major). :p
I'm sure not all of the employees of that particular store use the application fluid as heavily as this one guy, but I don't think I would chance it myself.

IvanLasston

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
You actually need to douse your device with the liquid, as well as the protector. Most first time installers don't use enough fluid and end up with bubbles and what not. I would not start with an iPad if you are going to do it yourself. To get a feel for the install I would start with something smaller like an iPhone.

I actually do my installs in a wet environment to get rid of as much lint as possible. First I turn everything off. I go into my small shower room and turn the water on full heat. I get condensation on everything because it becomes so humid. I then douse the protector and the iPad liberally with the installer liquid (which is just a minuscule amount of soap in water) - then do the install. I dry everything off with a microfiber cloth. I then let everything dry out overnight before turning the iPad back on.

I've done this for 1 iPad1, 2 iPad2, 1 iPad3, 1 iPad4, 1 iPad Mini Retina, 1 iPhone3, 2 iPhone4, 1 iPhone5 and haven't had any problems with liquid damage. I even returned the iPhone 5 because of the bad power button issue - https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/ - and didn't have any problems with the return. And actually - the guy at the Apple store gave me back my Zagg cover - told me to take it over to the Zagg store - and get a new one installed. So I took the peeled off Zagg protector - over to the Zagg store and the guy - installed a new Protector right there.

Anyway - I like the HD screen protector - especially when I use something like an Adonit Jot - with a hard disk as the contact point. Depending on if you use a stylus and what kind - the protector may cause more friction than the plain screen. I haven't tried the thicker protector - and with Retina displays you want the HD version.

I don't recommend the full body protection. I've always had problems with the back coming off when using the same clear protector. I do like the leather skins for back protection though. They are much thicker and seem to last much longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.