Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Got my iPad Mini at 14:30 - processed a return at 15:00 - I'm sorry - the screen is just awful compared to my Nexus 7. That and the debris under the screen (as usual) - this is a knee jerk reaction to Google I'm afraid. And a poor one. The screen is just not good enough now.

And certainly not at £159 for the 16GB Nexus 7 versus £269 for this. I've cancelled the white one for my wife too.

I'm an Apple fan too. Sigh.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Got my iPad Mini at 14:30 - processed a return at 15:00 - I'm sorry - the screen is just awful compared to my Nexus 7. That and the debris under the screen (as usual) - this is a knee jerk reaction to Google I'm afraid. And a poor one. The screen is just not good enough now.

And certainly not at £159 for the 16GB Nexus 7 versus £269 for this. I've cancelled the white one for my wife too.

I am all about not being unequivocally in love with the idea of non-retina, but the screen really is worse compared to N7? N7 has the crispness with 1280x800 on a 7" display, but the saturation and black levels of N7 left something to be desired -- though for the money, or in my case a handmedown, can't complain too much.

And as you said, dust between LCD and glass is the usual. Seen it on iPad 3 and many iPhone 5's. Maybe other gens too, just never noticed. Or maybe more of them are like this nowadays.

No, I think the Cube takes that honor.

Never owned one, but I always feel (even today, despite internals/cooling/engineering design) that mini looks like a poor man's G4 cube design wise.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON

You forgot about the "Newton" and the "Hockey Puck?"

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think that the overwhelming majority of people who buy an iPad mini will love the product.

I do think there are other compelling alternatives, but, overall, those who decide to get one will not regret it, mainly because they know what they're buying into: it's an iPad 2, shrunk to a more portable size, with an amazing build quality, that runs the same apps the same way.

Disappointing products? I'd nominate the original Time Capsule.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
I think the iPad mini should be how the iPad 1 should have been :) The size, the screen, the weight, it's excellent.

The overall package is compelling, and I guess you have to compromise somewhere, whether it's the price, the pixel density, the color, the contrast, the build, the eco system etc.

Rank those in the priority you can live with and find the one that's best for you.

For me, it's the mini :)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

Pixelated or not, I can barely read a page of text on my Nexus 7. Mainly because android font rendering sucks, and the only font available or the kindle app is terrible. That plus the fact that on the lowest brightness setting the display flickers. Honestly I find it easier to read on my iPhone.

qawsed27

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
I don't believe your story. You sound hurt over this. Are you ok? I know it's hard buying something and then Apple comes out with something you want more. You'll just have to wait until your birthday, maybe your parents will make it okay and buy you a mini.

By the way, I bought 3 Nexus 7s today at 10:40 and processed 3 returns at 10:42. Ok, that isn't true. I've never seen a Nexus and frankly, don't even know exactly what it is or who makes it.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Sorry, I compared them side-by-side this morning in-store and the Mini's screen is NOT awful in comparison. The Mini has significantly more viewable real-estate and despite having more pixels, I did not find the 7's text to be noticeably sharper.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I think the iPad mini should be how the iPad 1 should have been :) The size, the screen, the weight, it's excellent.

The overall package is compelling, and I guess you have to compromise somewhere, whether it's the price, the pixel density, the color, the contrast, the build, the eco system etc.

Rank those in the priority you can live with and find the one that's best for you.

For me, it's the mini :)

Yup, and then now, we would have a mini with Retina!

broketv

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
I love mine. Everything I wanted the regular iPad to be. The screen is not a deal breaker at all.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I don't believe your story. You sound hurt over this. Are you ok? I know it's hard buying something and then Apple comes out with something you want more. You'll just have to wait until your birthday, maybe your parents will make it okay and buy you a mini.

By the way, I bought 3 Nexus 7s today at 10:40 and processed 3 returns at 10:42. Ok, that isn't true. I've never seen a Nexus and frankly, don't even know exactly what it is or who makes it.

Whatever. Not everyone lives in a fantasy world. At 46, sadly my parents no longer buy me birthday gifts.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
So you like the S3 and the Nexus 7, and your mini counting unboxing gets a 30 minute review.

Maybe and Android forum would be more to your liking.

A side benefit is there you would be an all star.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
So you like the S3 and the Nexus 7, and your mini counting unboxing gets a 30 minute review.

Maybe and Android forum would be more to your liking.

A side benefit is there you would be an all star.

I like any device that meets my needs. That includes Apple devices, Android devices. They all need to perform a useful and useable function. For me the iPad Mini doesn't. For millions of others it no doubt will. And that's fine.

JohnnyAndre

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
California
Yeah, there isn't any way in hell this guy ever had an iPad mini. Obvious troll is obvious. I'm posting this from the mini, coming from a 3rd gen iPad I can honestly say the lack of retina is not all that jarring. It's hardly even noticeable.

This dude probably bought the mini with spite toward the screen/returned it before even getting the chance to use it. What a loser.

Every iPad mini owner is enjoying the product immensely. Don't listen to the troll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.