Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I want to buy an iPad for my 7-yr old for doing school work, learning games, and for doing creative work in Photoshop and other drawing, and painting programs. She has already started doing the basics in Photoshop, and I would like for the iPad to be as future proof as possible for as long as possible.

I am considering the following:

- iPad mini 256GB (newest generation, 6th gen?)
- 10.9" iPad 10th gen

1. Will both of these work equally well with an Apple Pencil while using apps like Photoshop?
2. Which of these iPads might remain future proof longer?
3. Is 256GB enough space? Thoughts?

Thanks!

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
If you think she's going to stick with it, I would personally recommend either finding a deal on an iPad Air M1 (quite a few at the moment), or waiting a few months for a new model, at which point the M1 Airs will show up in the Apple Refurb Store.

The 10th gen iPad will frustrate her a bit because of the Pencil situation (it uses the first gen Pencil, but with a little dongle + cable to sync), and the first gen Pencil itself was always a bit of a pain.

The Mini 6 works with the Pencil 2 (snaps to the side magnetically to pair + charge), but I think she may find the screen on it a bit too small after a while. If it's not a secret birthday present or similar, you might take her to an electronics store or Apple Store to play with the Mini 6 a bit and see what she thinks of the screen size. If she likes it, then you're golden.

Alternately, you can get a refurb 4th gen Air if you need one right this second - it's basically a 'fancier' 10th gen that uses the Pencil 2.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
If you think she's going to stick with it, I would personally recommend either finding a deal on an iPad Air M1 (quite a few at the moment), or waiting a few months for a new model, at which point the M1 Airs will show up in the Apple Refurb Store.

The 10th gen iPad will frustrate her a bit because of the Pencil situation (it uses the first gen Pencil, but with a little dongle + cable to sync), and the first gen Pencil itself was always a bit of a pain.

The Mini 6 works with the Pencil 2 (snaps to the side magnetically to pair + charge), but I think she may find the screen on it a bit too small after a while. If it's not a secret birthday present or similar, you might take her to an electronics store or Apple Store to play with the Mini 6 a bit and see what she thinks of the screen size. If she likes it, then you're golden.

Alternately, you can get a refurb 4th gen Air if you need one right this second - it's basically a 'fancier' 10th gen that uses the Pencil 2.
Is the iPad Air M1 a much better option for future proofing then the Mini?

Thanks!

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
To clarify, the new Apple Pencil USB-C ($69 education pricing) is also compatible with the iPad 10. It does not require a dongle, since it can be charged and synced with the provided iPad charging cable. It also can magnetically attach to the iPad....but does not charge magnetically. It appears to be a better solution for the iPad 10 than the Apple Pencil 1.... and significantly less expensive.

Reactions: kat.hayes

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Is the iPad Air M1 a much better option for future proofing then the Mini?

Thanks!

From a “this will run well for a long time” standpoint, yeah. It’s got double the RAM. In all honesty they’ll probably drop from iOS support within a year of each other (way down the road regardless), I just expect the Air to be working better by then.

To clarify, the new Apple Pencil USB-C ($69 education pricing) is also compatible with the iPad 10. It does not require a dongle, since it can be charged and synced with the provided iPad charging cable. It also can magnetically attach to the iPad....but does not charge magnetically. It appears to be a better solution for the iPad 10 than the Apple Pencil 1.... and significantly less expensive.

Good point, I forget that thing exists. If she doesn’t need pressure sensitivity that is an option as well - or if you want to use something like a Logitech Crayon. Even so, I’d recommend an Air 4 or 5 over the iPad 10 if you’re actually using any sort of stylus.

Reactions: kat.hayes

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
From a “this will run well for a long time” standpoint, yeah. It’s got double the RAM. In all honesty they’ll probably drop from iOS support within a year of each other (way down the road regardless), I just expect the Air to be working better by then.

Good point, I forget that thing exists. If she doesn’t need pressure sensitivity that is an option as well - or if you want to use something like a Logitech Crayon. Even so, I’d recommend an Air 4 or 5 over the iPad 10 if you’re actually using any sort of stylus.
Double the RAM alone has me wanting to get it....

I want her to have pressure sensitivity. Based on the info you provided I am going to start looking into when the next Air comes out. Thanks for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.