Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
That would be called a laptop computer.

You may be able to do some/all of the above on a tablet, but that's not what they were designed for. Tablets are trade-off's in form and function, you'd have to look at each one specifically to see if it's worth the trade. For instance some may be good for file storage and others may not.

Have a look at what I was begging for about 5 years ago....
Hello Cupertino! Anybody home? Johnny Ive ?? Anybody?
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/...ZDuSxzpgwfUd,0wdDI5Njovw7hZyAtrYxEnT8MwbZ4xVW

----------

So here's what I got in terms of productivity Apps for Android. Not to hijack the comparison thrust of the thread but to invite ipad connocienti to chime in...
I'll be getting the Nexus7-32GB (how many jpg's or PNG's do you think I can load into 16GB of 32GB at 500K each? C'mon guys! MATH :D

Anyway. Most of these Productivity APPS for Android are free...

Chrome for Android ( Browser)
Robin
Evernote
Any.DO
CloudOn
Google Drive
Swiftkey 3
CamScanner
Box
Friday: The Personal Assistant
Apparently Android natively allows users to know how much data they are using of a plan without having to download an app.
Android keeps its users in the know by displaying exactly how much data a device is using right in the settings app.
Maps are available offline
Android allows users to unzip files directly on their device

Your turn...

pistooli

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Hungary
I have a Nexus 7 since July (I wanted to have a 7" tablet) and just recently bought an iPad Mini. I think the two devices were just not designed for the same users.

But that is just my humble opinion.

M

Mr.damien

Search, then post.

Already several threads on this one. Let's all rehash. Start with screen density.... Where's the :snore: smiley?

What's the point of having a better screen density when you have no app to use ?

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
Old guard here. Please excuse me but I need help with parsing the term 'Apps'.
App-lications right? As in software applications?
So let me see here. The issue seems to be about freedom of choice? 75,000 choices versus 200,000 choices right?
As one respondent pointed out, he needs 15 Apps. So if he has 30, that's twice as many as he needs.
I'm not being stupid with this... follow me like a hawk if you will.

Can someone over the age of 40 please answer this question?

Are the APPS that are often referred to actually GAMES ? or.... are we talking about stand alone productivity software as well as tools?

I only ask because I have never played a game on a computer.

I need a tool that allows me to do the following and I'm willing to reward the genius that can tell me which tablet can accomplish this set of activities:

1) PDA or Time and Project management
2) Still Pics and Movie warehousing and playback (yes. my portfolios and reels)
3) PowerPoint presentations or equivalent. Preferably wirelessly to a projector or conference monitor
4) Basic text editor (AKA SimpleText or RTF)
4) Access to the Web
5) File storage in lieu of a portable drive.
6) Potential for wireless monitoring of digital video camera signal.
Is it just me or is none of this really ever discussed in marketing of tablets??

Something called a ModBook. I believe it's out soon too!

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Tablets are essentially devices for consumption. It is possible to use them in a limited capacity for productivity in some areas, but I struggle to think of an instance where a laptop wouldn't be a better tool. If you're after more extreme portability, a netbook or MacBook Air might be your thing.

I've found tablets to be a disappointment if looked upon in any other light, regardless of whether you're talking about andrioid or iOS.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
What's the point of having a better screen density when you have no app to use ?
Please read the previous posts. IF you can find the apps you want (I can), then you will be fine in Android. It all depends on your use case.

Tablets are essentially devices for consumption. It is possible to use them in a limited capacity for productivity in some areas, but I struggle to think of an instance where a laptop wouldn't be a better tool. If you're after more extreme portability, a netbook or MacBook Air might be your thing.

I've found tablets to be a disappointment if looked upon in any other light, regardless of whether you're talking about andrioid or iOS.
I think you are right. An MBA is much more powerful than any tablet, and is undoubtedly better at almost any task.

However, an MBA has half the battery life. You cannot easily read on it, which means you will need to have two devices in your bag if you want to do both reading and writing. You cannot write by hand on it (I use a stylus quite often with my iPad). For typing text (99% of my work), an external keyboard paired with the iPad works exactly the same.

The Nexus does all of these things, though I find reading PDFs on it to be a chore, and generally prefer the full-sized iPad. If you are just going to get a tablet for consumption -- to surf the web and watch movies, I'd definitely recommend the Nexus over the Mini. The full-size iPad would be a waste of money and probably unnecessarily large.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I know a lot of people have probably talke about this, but after reading a bunch of reviews, especially this one, it's hard for me to disagree. I've used a Nexus 7, and I think I'm going to sell in favor of a mini.

Who wants a tablet to run phone apps?

I like my Nexus 7, it's half the price of the ipad mini and the biggest factor for me is that it slips into my pocket. If I'm going to carry around something it will be my 11.6" windows pro tablet, but most of the time I don't want to carry something and got sick of lugging around any tablet, which I would also get sick of lugging around the ipad mini.

Functionally I can't argue much though, I like the ipad ecosystem better than android, which has some glaring issues IMO. I'll take iCab over Chrome any day of the week for example, and don't get me started on night time/high contrast mode, or lack of it on android. But at the end of the day when I'm carrying my 8 month old, or standing in the subway I'd rather have the ability to pocket my tablet and have both hands free, plus half the price for a better screen isn't a bad deal IMO.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Just getting the Mini already owning the Nexus 7, now I have two tablets that have a nice form factor and are both comfortable to use. Andriod and Apple ecosystems both are now covered and I had no problem with the money I spent on either.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland

Guys. I doubt any of you will remember the very first 'thin client', a CPU , keyboard and screen with only an internet connection, designed for Grandparents to communicate with desktop connocienti. So... I know that Tablets are essentially 'Thin Client' devices. They should still fit in a pocket and not give one eyestrain.:D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Surprised so many are hooked on tablet apps for web services. The purpose of these apps are to condense full website content on a device with a small screen. I always just use the web page of these apps on a tablet, Facebook twitter etc. Just like tapatalk, I use it constantly on my iPhone but on my tablet I just use the forums web page. The apps are watered down, it wasn't but a couple days ago that the iOS Facebook app was updated so you could share, delete post/comments and some other stuff you could only do on the web page. There are tons of things tapatalk cannot access. On a tablet I feel I have the screen real estate to use the browser for these services.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Sold my Nexus 7 and have had the iPad mini since launch day. I like the screen size and orientation better than the 7 which I found too odd and narrow to hold or browse the web in portrait mode. I also didn't care for the onscreen buttons on the Nexus 7, especially annoying to have glowing dots while trying to watch a movie. The price of the Nexus is certainly attractive though.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Sold my Nexus 7 and have had the iPad mini since launch day. I like the screen size and orientation better than the 7 which I found too odd and narrow to hold or browse the web in portrait mode. I also didn't care for the onscreen buttons on the Nexus 7, especially annoying to have glowing dots while trying to watch a movie. The price of the Nexus is certainly attractive though.

I feel like android tablets are designed for there normal orientation to be landscape. The iPad is a little better at both ways but normal would be portrait.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012

There are plenty of apps to use all the pixels in the Nex7 screen. (Chaos Rings, Modern Combat 3, Mass Effect, NOVA 3, NFS: Most Wanted, Sketchbook Pro, Photoshop Touch, any video player, etc) But more importantly, is the scaling that Android has had built in for years that allows the Nexus 7 to use both phone and tablet apps equally.

The iPhone 5 for example has a ton of 3rd party apps that are letterboxed because developers never coded for scaling issues. This is why Apple picked the exact size that they did for the Mini, so normal 10" iPad apps could be used on the smaller Mini. All they did was shrink the screen. The issue with this however, is the touch point targets in the app are also shrunk to match the proportions. This equates to many more missed taps, ie when typing or playing a game.

In the end though, those heavily invested within the apple ecosystem are likely to stick with the Mini, even with a low res screen.

Last edited:
M

Mr.damien

There are plenty of apps to use all the pixels in the Nex7 screen. (Chaos Rings, Modern Combat 3, Mass Effect, NOVA 3, NFS: Most Wanted, Sketchbook Pro, Photoshop Touch, any video player, etc) But more importantly, is the scaling that Android has had built in for years that allows the Nexus 7 to use both phone and tablet apps equally.

1. So this is mainly games. And when I speak about apps for tablet I don't mean that.

2. Scaling is just crap and not making your App a tablet one. You don't use the screen size to show more informations, and you don't see more than on a phone. CF next point from Google and Reviewers

But it's quite funny to see people arguing that there is a lot of tablet App for the Android tablet when :
- Google is asking it's dev that they should stop relying on the scaling and make apps specifically for tablets
- That all neutral review are pointing that Android tablet worst point is missing software.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
1. So this is mainly games. And when I speak about apps for tablet I don't mean that.

2. Scaling is just crap and not making your App a tablet one. You don't use the screen size to show more informations, and you don't see more than on a phone. CF next point from Google and Reviewers

But it's quite funny to see people arguing that there is a lot of tablet App for the Android tablet when :
- Google is asking it's dev that they should stop relying on the scaling and make apps specifically for tablets
- That all neutral review are pointing that Android tablet worst point is missing software.

Games are graphic dependent, yet you don't want to include these? Photo-chopping and sketching app utilize the pixels. But you don't want to include that. Video players can push out 720p content on the Nex7, but that doesn't count either? I'm not sure what apps are left that would count for utilizing a display like the Nexus 7 has if you simply want to discount photo, video and game apps.?
How about you give us one app that was built specifically for the Mini, and not simply a ported shrunk down copy from the iPad 2/3/4?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

What non web apps (Facebook , twitter, etc I just use the browser) do you use a lot on an iPad?

I'm looking though all my apps and I only have one tablet specific app. But everything else scales perfectly aside from speedtest app.

pizz

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
I was debating too between nexus and iPad mini.. Went with nexus. Not regretting it one bit, great little tablet, does all I need it to do at a great price and its well made and display is crisp as a retina. If you want to play games and use production apps then just get a regular ipad . its a matter of preference and how much $ you have to spend. But both mini and nexus are good tablets but for $199 16gb nexus is deal IMO.

Last edited:

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
Surprised so many are hooked on tablet apps for web services. The purpose of these apps are to condense full website content on a device with a small screen. I always just use the web page of these apps on a tablet, Facebook twitter etc. Just like tapatalk, I use it constantly on my iPhone but on my tablet I just use the forums web page. The apps are watered down, it wasn't but a couple days ago that the iOS Facebook app was updated so you could share, delete post/comments and some other stuff you could only do on the web page. There are tons of things tapatalk cannot access. On a tablet I feel I have the screen real estate to use the browser for these services.

Indeed. And you've highlighted a key issue that near and dear to my heart. The viability of legacy web UI in a tablet-centric world. If the website UI's were in strict conformance to tablet UI design standards, we really wouldn't need apps to pare them down in the first place.

Such is the consequence of Democracy on the Internet:D

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Better is subjective. I bought a Nexus 7 for my son, and I have grown to really like it. I'll be picking up a N7 w/data come January. All the apps I need and use work well on the 7 and look just fine. I have a laptop, desktop, and Galaxy Note on or around me at all times. The N7 will primarily be used to watch Netflix and document editing on roadtrips with the high school soccer and volleyball teams.

I do play the occasional game on it like Horn, Bards Tale, Fruit Ninja, etc and they look fine and play great. I guess names like Super Duper Awesome Retina and Amoled ++ Max+ just don't really push any buttons for me. My TV has a fantastic display...much better than my Dell laptop. But it doesn't bother me to watch movies on my laptop if my TV isn't available.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Personally, I prefer iOS, however, Google products are the only Android devices I can tolerate. If I didn't have a iPhone 5, I would have a Nexus 4.

Last edited:

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
OK. My humble technophobic DP and I spent some time today, Black Saturday;) browsing the shops for tablets and smart(ipants) phones. So until I have my Nexus+Mobile data actually in hand for comprehensive usability trails, this is an update to my prior posts on the screen usability quotient of the two devices (iPad Mini & Nexus7) compared.
-----
1) I hate to admit it, but the iPad Mini text on screen at default size is barely legible (even with my purpose made prescription eye-wear) and there is definitely some disconsolateness between screen and small type faces on this device. This predicament is totally absent from the higher resolution density Nexus7.
It pains me to report that, considering the high hopes that Apple had for the iPad Mini as Nexus7/ KindleHD 'killer'. Currently, it is not.
Fortunately, for those not placing text readability at the default size too high on their priority lists,the Mini is a fabulously full featured little brother to the ipad 2 (also sans Retina).
2) Further. Something about the ipad Mini screen reflectivity is exacerbating the readability of small text in high reflection environments. I'd love to hear about and see some qualitative side-by-side evals in a shaded outdoor setting.Why Apple did not include a relatively cheap double AR coating is a mystery to us.
3) Finally. Though I find the thinner ipad Mini , oh so groovy for being thin, I sense that hand hold-ability is not as 'secure' as with the Nexus7.
Just for grins, My esteemed colleague and collaborator andrewwynn, has agreed to let me paste in the exchange between himself and I on this topic.
Enjoy at will :D

AWR:There are three distinct grades of iDevice apps.

1) made specifically for iPhone
2) made specifically for iPad
3) universal that bundles both in one

iPad apps won't run on iPhone
iPhone apps usually look like **** on iPad though on retina iPad they can run retina iPhone apps "double sized" however they are almost always a bad trade off. (Very inefficient use of space)

If you used iPad vs iPhone app you will know what I'm talking about. Example: on iPad the settings app shows the setting choice (eg blue tooth) on the left and on the right the settings for that choice. On the iPhone as soon as you pick a setting sub choice the list disappears and you only see the pref pane. This is common among all iPad vs iPhone apps. Another example is angry birds. On iPhone app even on iPhone 5, the scale is zoomed in to make the real size bigger even though you can zoom out to see everything.

iPad apps in general are far easier to navigate and are more productive. They also sell for a premium so people like me and 100,000,000 of us have lots of iPad apps (I probably have 100-150 iPad specific apps) and the very logical choice of using the iPad shape was really the only logical choice even if its not ideal to carry around. It was the clear choice if they wanted to stick with the iPad name. If they chose to go with iPod Maxi and grew the size up from iPhone 5 pixel count that would have been a viable option but the UI scales up for **** while iPad UI scales down just fine.

The weight is a big thing. Ip 4 over twice the weight of the mini. Regardless if fits in a pocket it is very portable where the iPad 4 is only portable compared to laptop.

Zeph:
> Further, as tablets make the transition from being mostly 'thin clients' to being serious hubs for ubiquitous computing, they will have to be able to act as HD monitors for video in addition to the rest of the stuff that smartphones currently do.
> There again, the 5"-7" diagonal is the sweet spot for external video monitors.

AWR:Even though 1024 not technically HD the majority of "hd" content isn't that high. I'm confident that the "new iPad mini" (idiots on calling the 3 the new iPad ) will have even higher than retina dpi. 167x2. 2048x1536

Zeph:
As the video you cites points out, the ipad Mini is NOT really as comfy to hold in one hand as it the Nexus7.

AWR:Except what everybody fails to note is that the new iOS is designed to ignore a non-moving thumb so you just hold it with one thumb right on the display

Zeph:
Finally. I'm betting the farm that when a retina display ipad Micra is released ( April) it will be the width of the Nexus but still with more screen to it.

AWR:They won't release a different shape screen 0% chance. Because of the iPad software base they will stick with 4:3 ratio even if they double the density.

They Could have used the 16:9 like new iPhone and that would have had the possibility of being far better: the problem being that iPad software won't work at that scale and iPhone software doesn't scale up. Moving to a larger tablet with 19:9 would require an ADDITIONAL version of programs. As much as that would have been worth doing. Ain't gonna happen.

Zeph:
If Apple is smart, they'll include an SD card slot for memory boost as well.

AWR:Will never happen. Never ever. Not sure how they get away with it but apple's cash cow is selling 16gb of ram for $100. They are not going to change that.

Zeph:
Most of the complaints I've heard with respect to the mini, have to do with screen reflectivity impacting readability.

AWR:It is some ignant ass [expletive-deleted]! I've hated the non ar coated glass on ALL  products. After 17 years or so they finally put AR glass on the iMac (75% reduction in glare). In the laptop department until now ONLY the MacBook AIR has AR glass and is very decent. I don't know if the new retina model has it.

Zeph:
That's very important! Though the refractive index of the glass surface impacts real sharpness, if the added glare results in a diminished user experience, then the net net is less readability in all but a totally dark room with black face-paint on the user;)

AWR:The significance of the glass is when properly assembled you get FAR better contrast (black actually black) and no haze from the wear of the plastic.

Zeph:
multi-coating would counter the glare but at a higher per unit cost.

AWR: The [Expletive Deleted] have no excuse for not AR coating the glass. Purely bean counting at the worst.

A decent screen film will negate the glare problem. I used the power solutions AR screen on my iPhone 4S and it was near perfection. I have zag "smudge" screen on my five (ps version wasn't out yet) and it is nearly perfect. (Introduces a tiny bit of specks that the ps didn't and its a bit rubbery)

Zeph:
Finally. Apple is simply moving too fast with connectivity protocols. The cycle from Thunderbolt to Lightening was too short and geez, who needs yet more freaking adapters???

AWR: Those are apples and oranges. Thunderbolt for monitors and hard drives. They would have put tb on iphone if it wouldn't have cost too much and added too much volume and mass. The old connector is total **** and deserves a slow painful death.

The only thing that pisses me off is the NAME. It's not fast or bright: nothing to bind to the moniker. I'm pissed they ever took off FireWire which was awesome. Usb 2 sucks ass.

Zeph:
I realize that Apple is a fit and finish king, but the stuff about more apps is simply silly

AWR: No about "more apps" it's about compatibility with existing apps

Zeph:
I'm looking for a pocket-able and yet larger than ipod touch tablet that can extend the functionality of my laptop for business applications on the go. Sometimes fit and finish simply aren't worth the extra money when you know that when Apple finally gets the features set right and the bugs out, it will blow the Mini away.

AWR: They will almost certainly come out with mini retina which will allow the old mini to be sold at I'm betting on $279 unless they bump the price on retina up to say $349 then the non retina $299.

Because of the 4:3 ratio of ALL iPad apps there is zero chance of a different ratio attached to iPad.

You and I would be thrilled to see an iPod MAX. A 16:9 scaled up iPod but I don't see it happening.

On conclusion the other major benefit of iOS vs all others is the control UI performance.

I've used a dozen different touch screens and they are ALL SUB Standard compared with the apple hardware. This is ESPECIALLY noticeable on the utterly worthless track pads on laptops. The apple trackpad is perfect (for tracking: the whole thing is a button not so great).

When I use ANY other phone or tablet I can instantly feel the lack of tracking quality. It's like im using gloves. Apple blows them away.

So, from my perspective every time I touch the display it "feels icky". It's the touch equivalent of having dirty glasses.

I'm not trying to defend apple for their myriad dumbarse decisions. I would have preferred a 16:9 tablet but I'll happily buy the mini because my 100s of programs will run on it.

I may end up with the full size model due to the insane screen quality and the speed because I use iPad for circuit simulation.

[or] I may put the $ toward my next computer upgrade and get the mini.

Tax refund check going for either iMac or 13" MacBook retina or Mac mini (insanely fast insanely small)

Last edited:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I just bought a Nexus 7 based on the Chrome browser alone. It is the closest to a desktop browser experience I have had on a mobile device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.