Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2011
I have the iPad mini from 2020, I've been waiting for Apple to release a model with ProMotion. I know it'll never happen but I'm hoping. I won't buy another one until they add this feature.

Reactions: N69AP

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
I've been back and forth on whether I should get the Mini. God knows how many times I've almost caved. The sticking point always comes down to the lack of Pro Motion.

It's not so much about whether I can tell the difference (I absolutely can), or whether I could live without it (I guess I could) but more about whether I'm willing to forego it. I'm currently on a 2018 11" iPad Pro which has Pro Motion so this is not exactly new or cutting edge technology. There is no reason this feature couldn't have been included in the Mini 6 or the latest Air for that matter. There are still plenty of other features to differentiate these models from the Pro iPads.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I have the mini and 12.9 6th generation and can’t really tell the difference.
Count me in as one who has both and can't really tell the difference. If I use both back to back and invoke App Switcher, I can see the difference.

But in my day to day usage I don't notice going back and forth and never once thought "I wish the Mini had Pro Motion".

Reactions: sparksd

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Count me in as one who has both and can't really tell the difference. If I use both back to back and invoke App Switcher, I can see the difference.

But in my day to day usage I don't notice going back and forth and never once thought "I wish the Mini had Pro Motion".
Me neither. I’m perfectly content with my mini 6 and it has been awesome to have. I have promotion on the Pro so I’m fine with it not being on the mini 6.

Reactions: sparksd

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I've wanted to get the Mini, but trying it out in the store, the screen is just so dim, and combined with the lack of ProMotion I just can't justify it.

I'm used to the iPad Pro and 14" MacBook Pro screens, as well as the 14PM. I'll be interested if they put a better screen in the next one, otherwise, no thanks.

Reactions: klky

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I've wanted to get the Mini, but trying it out in the store, the screen is just so dim, and combined with the lack of ProMotion I just can't justify it.

I'm used to the iPad Pro and 14" MacBook Pro screens, as well as the 14PM. I'll be interested if they put a better screen in the next one, otherwise, no thanks.
How is it too dim in the store?! No winder half the world is gonna be blind in a few years. Everyone wants to burn their damn retinas out at max brightness.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I have an M1 12.9 with ProMotion and a Mini 6 without and don't see enough difference to matter.
I feel exactly the same as I can’t tell the difference. However, I just got the 14 pro max with the pro motion and I can really tell the difference and I love it.

Is it meant to be more noticeable on smaller screens?

sailingHobbit

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2022
Germany
I feel exactly the same as I can’t tell the difference. However, I just got the 14 pro max with the pro motion and I can really tell the difference and I love it.

Is it meant to be more noticeable on smaller screens?
I had the exact same observation. I had the 14 Pro for a week and it felt way more smooth than the 13/12 mini. But I don't see a difference (except for directly comparing them side by side) between an iPad Pro 11" M1 and iPad Air 4 or a 13" MacBook Air and 14" MacBook Pro.
Either it's more prominent on smaller screens or it hast something to do with the new display engine of the A16.

• Sad
Reactions: teh_hunterer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.