Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thinking of Xmas (it's coming!) and for daughter an iPad for Uni work.

Now the non Pro iPad has pencil support I'm thinking of getting one as she takes notes etc. But I'm also thinking she may need a keyboard and so an add for that.

The Pro would be overkill I think for her, and would be a lot lot more expensive, with the pencil and ASK would be ideal but as I say overkill. She has a laptop so much
I'm just thinking as an addition that's lighter and she'll hopefully use.

So the keyboards I've seen that are available on Amazon etc are clip ons that seem to cuber backs.

She loves rose gold or gold so I'd rather just have the back on show, so is there a keyboard like ASK for non Pro iPad?

The other option is to get a refurb 9.7" Pro, just not sure on this as a few years old and rest get the newest iPad 2018 for future proof.

Thanks

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Logitech Keyboard Folio ($99), and Logitech Keyboard Combo ($129) are both pretty good, They have holders for the pencil.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Thinking of Xmas (it's coming!) and for daughter an iPad for Uni work.

Now the non Pro iPad has pencil support I'm thinking of getting one as she takes notes etc. But I'm also thinking she may need a keyboard and so an add for that.

The Pro would be overkill I think for her, and would be a lot lot more expensive, with the pencil and ASK would be ideal but as I say overkill. She has a laptop so much
I'm just thinking as an addition that's lighter and she'll hopefully use.

So the keyboards I've seen that are available on Amazon etc are clip ons that seem to cuber backs.

She loves rose gold or gold so I'd rather just have the back on show, so is there a keyboard like ASK for non Pro iPad?

The other option is to get a refurb 9.7" Pro, just not sure on this as a few years old and rest get the newest iPad 2018 for future proof.

Thanks
The 2018 iPad will be perfect for her. One of the nice things about it is that it uses the iPad Air 1 chassis, so any case and cover made for the Air 1 will work with the 2018 iPad.

The Logitech keyboard cover for the Air 1 works well with the 2018 and can be found very cheap. $25 on Amazon. It has a decent feel to it and it is easy to remove for using the iPad in "tablet mode".

Alternatively, you can get her a smartcover and separate bluetooth keyboard.

To allow the Rose Gold to show and protect it, I recommend a clear skin for the back (it'll also help with grip). I use clear Con-Tact paper.... super cheap, super durable, and it works.

For transporting the Pencil, I use the MoKo Pencil holder for the Apple Pencil. $6 on Amazon... also comes in Rose Gold to match.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Pretty much any Bluetooth keyboard can be used, there is no need for it to physically attach to the iPad unless you want it to. Since I don’t want the new Folio keyboard but do want to have the regular Folio with the new Pro I am looking at these at present.

The Logitech K810 works well (has one of these fo a while), and I’m also considering the Logitech Keys-to-go as an even more portable option.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I use two different wireless keyboards (the old Apple Bluetooth keyboard and the Logitech keys-to-go). I’ve found it convenient to not have to attach the keyboard to the device. Logitech has several options and they make good stuff, and of course the new Apple BT keyboard is an option as well.
[doublepost=1541165985][/doublepost]
The Logitech K810 works well (has one of these fo a while), and I’m also considering the Logitech Keys-to-go as an even more portable option.
The Logitech Keys-to-go is the one I have. I’d thought they’d stopped making it, but I see that’s not the case.

It’s a wonderful keyboard, super lightweight and packable. It takes some getting used to - there’s almost no travel in the keys, and it sits completely flat (though so does the ASK). But once you’re adjusted to it it’s great. Battery lasts forever as well, and it’s easy to charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
The Logitech Keys-to-go is the one I have. I’d thought they’d stopped making it, but I see that’s not the case.

It’s a wonderful keyboard, super lightweight and packable. It takes some getting used to - there’s almost no travel in the keys, and it sits completely flat (though so does the ASK). But once you’re adjusted to it it’s great. Battery lasts forever as well, and it’s easy to charge.
Thanjs, that’s interesting to hear. I am quite fancying the Keys-to-go and the previous ASK had low travel keys so probably a similar typing experience.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Thanjs, that’s interesting to hear. I am quite fancying the Keys-to-go and the previous ASK had low travel keys so probably a similar typing experience.
I expect it’s fairly similar. It’s a great little keyboard.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The major typing experience difference between the ASK and the keys-to-go is that the K2G requires more force to register a keystroke. I had gotten so used to the ever so slight flittering action required to type on the ASK that switching over to the K2G felt like I was pounding the keys. Please keep in mind that this is a bit of hyperbole and it might just be something unique to my K2G unit.

Having said that, I love the K2G. It goes so well with my 2018 iPad+Pencil w/holder-sling.

Reactions: danmart

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Keys to go look good. Be nice if they folded maybe to make even smaller.

Nothing out there like the ASK though, but need the pro obviously. Apple refurb has three rose gold 9.7 32Gb for £440.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
The major typing experience difference between the ASK and the keys-to-go is that the K2G requires more force to register a keystroke. I had gotten so used to the ever so slight flittering action required to type on the ASK that switching over to the K2G felt like I was pounding the keys. Please keep in mind that this is a bit of hyperbole and it might just be something unique to my K2G unit.

Having said that, I love the K2G. It goes so well with my 2018 iPad+Pencil w/holder-sling.
It’s not just your unit, mine requires a fairly strong press as well. I assume it’s due to the keys being under the waterproof cover.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I would agree that each keyboard has its own unique characteristics, so unfortunately there is a bit of trial and error to find the right one for your needs. I have both the Logitech slim Folio and the Logitech K380 Keyboard. So, I constantly swap between a keyboard case and a separate keyboard. I even started a thread on MR to ask others what they do.

• The basic advantage of a keyboard case is that you always have the keyboard with you.
  • The basic advantage of the separate keyboard is you have more flexibility in the way you use and hold the iPad. Also, you can use a larger separate keyboard, since the keyboard dimensions are not defined by the size of the iPad.

Cost is a minor consideration. Typically, cost of keyboard case is slightly more expensive than cost of case + separate keyboard......but, it really depends on what you buy. Weight is a minor consideration. Typically, the weight of a keyboard case is about the same as the weight of a case + separate keyboard.....of course, if you are traveling light and not taking the separate keyboard with you, then the iPad alone is going to be lighter and certainly easier to hold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.