Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I just had a look at the F1 2010 iPad app on YouTube....
....sweet mother of God, its amazing :eek:

EDIT: I see he is holding his iPad on the BBC coverage today again, being careful not to reveal the Apple logo too, in line with the BBC's 'no advertising' policies.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I just had a look at the F1 2010 iPad app on YouTube....
....sweet mother of God, its amazing :eek:

EDIT: I see he is holding his iPad on the BBC coverage today again, being careful not to reveal the Apple logo too, in line with the BBC's 'no advertising' policies.

The app is pretty good. I've used it for the last 3 Grand Prix and find it a great addition to the coverage. I usually have it focused on Hamilton, nice to see the race developing rather than following what they are showing you.

I have seen the Apple Logo plenty of times.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
Yeah I missed the start, had to go out but yeah hes holding it now. I think he's been told to not show the logo, with the way hes holding it now haha.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
The app is pretty nice... my only issue is that I DVR the races and sync'ing the app back to the race after ff'ing through commercials takes a bit of patience (the poorly target ads are far more annoying though).

However it is nice to be able to see what happens during the commercials if something interesting happens.

I should have my iPad for Turkey, looking forward to the "big screen" :)

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Regarding product prominence, I'm quite confident the BBC is breaking its own rules with its CONSTANT mentioning of Twitter across this show and many, many others.

This iPad is also of dubious value to the output of the show - what is there on its screen that is so valuable that couldn't be delivered via earpiece or the teleprompter in front of him?

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Regarding product prominence, I'm quite confident the BBC is breaking its own rules with its CONSTANT mentioning of Twitter across this show and many, many others.

This iPad is also of dubious value to the output of the show - what is there on its screen that is so valuable that couldn't be delivered via earpiece or the teleprompter in front of him?

The BBC and almost every other news outlet in the country use twitter because of how great it is. Its free, quick and IMO really useful. Twitter, at this point in time, makes no money so I dont think the same rules from the BBC apply. Also the fact that it is technically a 'service' and not a 'product' might make the situation different.

And with big events like the Monaco grand prix there is not always enough space to have a teleprompter etc. and if he is using the live timing app then actually, it gives him alot of the info he needs.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England

Someone's in a very luddite kind of mood today ;)

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
He tweeted (twittered) that it was a suitable upgrade from the clipboard for monte carlo and that 'the clipboard is dead'

Not sure whether it was BBC's or his ... i was half expecting to see it drop into the jacuzzi at any moment

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Full of fail

Indycar released their free app, and it't little more than a social media collector! They phoned it in again (same as the iPhone app, which indycar pulled from the AppStore this year, probably because it was so terrible....)

No leader boards, no live race video, which is available on their flash website.... :(

Oh well, Indy 500 starts in one hour, maybe a proper app next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.