Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Up until today, I’ve never had issues with this function and Adblock plus. Now, quite suddenly I cannot go to any sites without a huge influx of ads popping up all over, including this site. Every setting is the same as this morning. It’s still activated but when tapping the AA thing beginning of the web address, it shows content blocker is in fact not on. I’ve restarted the iPad multiple times. All apps are up to date. Using iPad OS 13.2.3 using Safari. What gives?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
VPN is on.
Safari content blockers on
Settings for websites:
Content blockers... on for all

Clear history and web site data

Advanced.. web site data
Look for anything out of place

Experimental webkit features...

AdGuard Pro checked for updates
AdGuard filters are enabled
Safari is limited to 60000

You've got a rogue app.
A normal ad server got compromised.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Up until today, I’ve never had issues with this function and Adblock plus. Now, quite suddenly I cannot go to any sites without a huge influx of ads popping up all over, including this site. Every setting is the same as this morning. It’s still activated but when tapping the AA thing beginning of the web address, it shows content blocker is in fact not on. I’ve restarted the iPad multiple times. All apps are up to date. Using iPad OS 13.2.3 using Safari. What gives?
If this is the app you’re using you need to select a new one. ⬇️ This hasn’t been updated in 3 years. The version on the App Store shows 1.1.0. I currently use 1Blocker X on my iPad Pro and iPhone and Wipr on my mac. Both work very well. 1Blocker has a subscription model now but I believe you can make a one time purchase as I did. Updates come more often with the subscription model but I’m avoiding that for now and it still works extremely well. Wipr is the simplest app I know of and one of the most effective. Just a one time “donation“ is requested. Well worth it.
A3157448-3024-41DD-ABA8-E1B9349EF5C0.jpeg

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Missed Adblock Plus. Try Adguard Pro which is kept current and works also.

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Took me a couple days but found a setting under advanced was somehow switched off. Hit that and everything works fine again.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Took me a couple days but found a setting under advanced was somehow switched off. Hit that and everything works fine again.
Curious, which setting was it that made a difference in this case?

MacAlien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Boston
Curious, which setting was it that made a difference in this case?

Apologies for the very delayed response! I was wrong in that it wasn’t under the Advanced menu, but in the Settings for Websites section right above the Advanced menu option. Somehow Content Blocker was turned to the off position which is weird considering tbh I have never been that far down in that Safari section of settings.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Apologies for the very delayed response! I was wrong in that it wasn’t under the Advanced menu, but in the Settings for Websites section right above the Advanced menu option. Somehow Content Blocker was turned to the off position which is weird considering tbh I have never been that far down in that Safari section of settings.
I think that happened with the latest iOS update.

fireboy60013

Suspended
Nov 25, 2019
I have no problems with it, however I did have to enable it in settings, going to have to do that on my boyfriend’s iPad as well.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX

Thank you! I started having this issue today, and your solution worked. :)

Reactions: MacAlien
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.