Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eqquito

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Based on the big jump on recent hardware upgrades to both the iPad Pro (last year) and the iPad Air to the M1 chip and the lack of many new features to the iPad OS releases... I expect a great WWDC this year with many iPad OS updates.

Because of how disappointing WWDC hast been in the last few years I dont want to get into making a list of what to expect but I have my fingers crossed for this year's WWDC. It might even be the first one in the last 2 years to bring back an audience (did you guys noticed Apple made the last conference feel empty without a virtual audience).

What do you guys think?

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Well, we should wait for the WWDC approach first. Right now it's almost insane to make the right conclusion.

Reactions: ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I'd also wait for WWDC to pass to see what actually is announced. iPad chips were powerful in the past already but that doesn't really mean that major changes in the operating system are imminent.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
As others have mentioned, you need to have a healthy dose of patience with iPadOS. The new features for it never seem mind blowing at first, because they're often added for the purpose of building out other things. For example, I truly believe one of the main reasons Apple gave the iPad mouse and keyboard support was NOT to eventually turn it into a laptop, but rather to make it work better in conjunction with things like SideCar or Universal Control.

All things considered, after all these years, macOS is the superset of everything else. A lot of the new features and designs on iPadOS seem ripped straight from macOS because it's really forked iOS at its heart, and iOS is just stripped down macOS.

Apple is constantly trying to bring Mac-ish features over to the iPad so that the iPad is a better citizen in the ecosystem. If you have every Apple device BUT an iPad, they want you to feel like you need an iPad to fill in the gaps. Things work better together when they're all running the same kinds of chips, using the same accessories, and are made by the same people.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I’m also always hoping, but it’s best to keep expectations low
I don’t think anything has been leaked in terms of software updates for WWDC unless I’m mistaken

so : Hope for the best, assume the worst

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I love my iPad. It is my favorite device ever. I cannot possibly use it as my only device (i.e. I need a Mac). I have no expectations ever concerning iPadOS. My iPad Pro is unbelievably powerful, better than my Macbook. But my Macbook does the things I TRULY MUST BE ABLE TO DO.

For years I have seen the physical power of iPads increase and I kept telling myself that, see, it must mean Apple will open up the operating system, bring its power in line with the hardware.

They never did and at this point, I really kind of worry they never will.

And after the release of the ipad air with an M1... I see no reason in the future, at this point, to ever buy the "pro" again. Frankly, they got an extra $400 or so out of me that I never used. I won't be made a fool of again until Apple proves it will bring the software in line with the hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.