Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
So I was in Tweetbot and I can't swipe up, close the app or get into any other app. I can't use Siri to open any other app like settings. It won't reset with volume button+ top button - it just opens siri.
It's insane. I'm trying to run down my battery so it powers off.

I'm not sure if it's a Public beta or malware. Any ideas on how to reset?

2Xtreme21

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Also had it once on the beta. You can force a restart by pressing and releasing volume up, then press and release volume down, then hold the power button until it turns off.

Reactions: Donz0r

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Also had it once on the beta. You can force a restart by pressing and releasing volume up, then press and release volume down, then hold the power button until it turns off.
tried that too- just takes me to siri

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
That should work. You must be doing it wrong
Really? you think im doing it wrong. I've tried every variant . Waiting a little longer each button. waiting less. It's the same result- goes to Siri which can't do anything.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Really? you think im doing it wrong. I've tried every variant . Waiting a little longer each button. waiting less. It's the same result- goes to Siri which can't do anything.

I don’t know. Pressing vol up, down and then side button until the apple logo shows should work. This has never failed for me on any device since the first iPhone (doing a hard reset). But I guess anything is possible with a beta.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I don’t know. Pressing vol up, down and then side button until the apple logo shows should work. This has never failed for me on any device since the first iPhone (doing a hard reset). But I guess anything is possible with a beta.
It's a public beta - stuff goes wrong. just need a way around it.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I have had my iPhone X with 12.x stop allowing me to swipe and exit Instagram. Usually a long hold on power button would return ability to swipe up or swipe up + slide right.

I have no idea what caused IG or iPhone to lock up. Thread lock? Something. Never happened on iPad Pro 10.5 or Mini 5. I have run into where I could not do something / anything until closing most or all open apps. I still see where it sure seems where RAM is an issue.

I do not use or even enable Siri. So Siri never pops up.

Totally agree an iPad OS forum makes sense rather than use iOS 13 forum.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I just tried a force restart on my iPad Pro, works as expected. Siri is enabled. I think the only setting different is I disable “long press top button to activate Siri” while you might have that option enabled.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
They really need to create an iPad OS section. I read "they are discussing it" but seriously. Is this really that big of a deal? Did they think about it for Watch OS or TV OS or Mac OS?

I think it'd be very helpful.

I agree please, mods setup an iPad iOS 13 section.

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
It really should work as it’s practically hardware handling the hard reset. Even with a total frozen iPad it should work. Since you have an iPad Pro 11” it seems, I’m not sure how the force restart works with that, like ”holding it in 5 seconds” etc. If you have a computer near by, you could install iMazing on your computer and press restart in iMazing to restart your iPad.

Reactions: jhfenton

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
It really should work as it’s practically hardware handling the hard reset. Even with a total frozen iPad it should work. Since you have an iPad Pro 11” it seems, I’m not sure how the force restart works with that, like ”holding it in 5 seconds” etc. If you have a computer near by, you could install iMazing on your computer and press restart in iMazing to restart your iPad.
you mean Imazing HEIC converter?

just for a little context- I can't even use itunes to access my ipad. it tried to get the ipad to give permission but no prompt shows at all. no option to get imazing to reset my ipad either.
[doublepost=1561935935][/doublepost]
there is no hardware reset button anymore on teh 12.9 pros. that key sequence is software.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia

just for a little context- I can't even use itunes to access my ipad. it tried to get the ipad to give permission but no prompt shows at all. no option to get imazing to reset my ipad either.
there is no hardware reset button anymore on teh 12.9 pros. that key sequence is software.

Tried holding volume up + sleep button for a few seconds? I always reset my iPad like that. Try holding it for longer if nothing happens.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
If you can’t restart it using the hardware then plug your iPad into a Mac, download Apple Configurator from the Mac App Store and open it up. It’s a free download.

When your iPad appears in the window right click it, hover down to Advanced and click Restart.

The hardware force restart is supposed to override any OS complications. The fact that it isn’t working as you described should be reported to Apple with Feedback Assistant. That’s a pretty major issue.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So I was in Tweetbot and I can't swipe up, close the app or get into any other app. I can't use Siri to open any other app like settings. It won't reset with volume button+ top button - it just opens siri.
It's insane. I'm trying to run down my battery so it powers off.

I'm not sure if it's a Public beta or malware. Any ideas on how to reset?
None of the 4-finger gestures work?

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
Tried holding volume up + sleep button for a few seconds? I always reset my iPad like that. Try holding it for longer if nothing happens.
My iPhone XS Max had turned off and would not come back on even as I tried this method so I took it to the Apple Store. The Genius performed the same maneuver as I was telling her the problem and eventually it restarted. It just took an absurdly long time to actually reboot and I had tried up to 20 seconds with no response. She just held it until it did the restart. More than 30 seconds I think.

Reactions: aevan

siroht

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Dallas
This happened to me last night and and for over an hour I couldn’t get it to restart using the usual methods. Luckily I had the accessibility button activated(mouse support) and it allowed me to drill down to the menu to select the Restart option which did the trick. If I hadn’t figured that out my only other option was to allow the battery to drain.Connecting the iPad Pro to my MacBook Pro yielded no options that would make it respond other than restoring it, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

See screenshot.

Attachments

• 2C3E8B19-9E45-4225-9ADE-DFA7E2EA5C14.jpeg
    2C3E8B19-9E45-4225-9ADE-DFA7E2EA5C14.jpeg
    749.1 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: Nanotyrns

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

That is a hardware sequence, just like old iPad with home button, otherwise hard reset is impossible since iOS is frozen.

I would suggest you to try pressing Volume up, down, and top button in order quickly and holding top button until Apple logo appears. That is the hard reset sequence applied to iPhone X/XS series and iPad Pro 2018.

Reactions: omgitscro

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
This happened to me on my phone on iOS 12, and I was convinced the sequence, volume up, volume down, hold power button wasn’t working, but I just wasn’t holding the power button down long enough. I ended up with like 200 screenshots and an hour of frustration before finally figuring it out

Reactions: Nanotyrns

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I was getting the same results as the OP with Siri coming on instead of the power off slider. I found that the sequence would work if you hold your finger over the power button and do the sequence rapidly.

However, you can get the same results by simply holding down the Power button and the Volume Up buttons simultaneously. This way you don’t have to worry about the timing of pressing the three buttons.

Toonartist

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I've experienced the same thing a couple of times. Vol Up, Then Vol Down, then Power button for 10+ seconds.

Don't leave to long between each button press and make sure it is at least 10+ seconds for the power button.

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011

I’m sorry I am so late on responding, I mean this: https://imazing.com/
but if you can’t accept access, then that probably doesn’t work. You could give it a try anyways I guess.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Isn't the restart Home Button + Power button?
I don't know why people use the volume button, not needed... just home button + power button.

May be news model without the home button need the volume..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.