Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mowgli21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
UK
Hi sorry if this is a noob question. But I noticed that the IOS update is available from June 21st but there I no mention of the ipad? Is the update going to work on the ipad or is it going to be a later date or not at all?

Thanks

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Hi sorry if this is a noob question. But I noticed that the IOS update is available from June 21st but there I no mention of the ipad? Is the update going to work on the ipad or is it going to be a later date or not at all?

Thanks

iPad update September / October time.

Sucks, I know.

mattkidd

macrumors regular
Yeah i understand what your saying, but there's quite a difference in the release date for the iPhone/iPod touch OS4 than the iPad's surely it shouldnt take much time difference? as well as seeing Apple has been working on OS4 for some time. :confused:

ItsThatKush

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
ya, was slightly bummed when Steve said iPad won't get iOS4 until Fall. Realizing that iPhone 4 is coming in a few weeks got me perked up again :)

It's like Christmas.. for adults

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Yeah i understand what your saying, but there's quite a difference in the release date for the iPhone/iPod touch OS4 than the iPad's surely it shouldnt take much time difference? as well as seeing Apple has been working on OS4 for some time. :confused:

I understand what you are saying, but im sure multitasking is harder to implement on the iPad. iPad apps are more sophisticated, more power consuming. I'm sure the update could come before then.

Another point - can you imagine Apple's servers if they released iOS 4 for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad on the same day? That, at the time, would be up to 100 million i devices! :eek:

Edit: Sorry I didn't realise I started the post with the same as you wrote! I wasn't trying to go back at you or anything.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Also, just saw a Twitter feed on Google.

Apparently, the iPad project was kept secret from iOS 4 engineers, and vice versa.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
Apparently, the iPad project was kept secret from iOS 4 engineers, and vice versa.

Apple's been like that for everything. Even within the people working for a same product, many people don't know what other parts of the team are working on. You even have to have special credentials/access card to get into some rooms with super secret stuff. Typical Apple...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Apple's been like that for everything. Even within the people working for a same product, many people don't know what other parts of the team are working on. You even have to have special credentials/access card to get into some rooms with super secret stuff. Typical Apple...

It amazes me how they don't have more leaks. Just making prototypes must be risky, and testing them must be super hard.

raymond lin

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
It's how it doesn't have more leaks, each team working on 1 part, and each part is meaningless without the rest.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
It's how it doesn't have more leaks, each team working on 1 part, and each part is meaningless without the rest.

That's not what I meant.

When you make the final test product, all the separate things that people are working on come together. If that gets leaked (like iPhone 4) then all the careful secrecy planning is wasted.

Same with testing outside of the Apple campus.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Sounds like lots of integration work to be done.

3.2 was a "fork" of iOS for iPad. This code needs to be brought-into the main line now.

With the two teams working independently and without knowledge of each other, this is going to take some time.

I assume that 4.1 (or 4.2, or...) will be an integrated release that will be for iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Sounds like lots of integration work to be done.

3.2 was a "fork" of iOS for iPad. This code needs to be brought-into the main line now.

With the two teams working independently and without knowledge of each other, this is going to take some time.

I assume that 4.1 (or 4.2, or...) will be an integrated release that will be for iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone.

What? iPhone and iPod touch always use different pieces of firmware for update / restore.

Because you can update in iTunes easily , most people don't know it's a different package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.