Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Apple is really taking liberties. $99 for a pencil?

I joked about it earlier about the pencil being $99 when they showed the pencil video. But when it actually came down to the price, I was shocked that it was actually $99.

I can just imagine this:

Student: Mom, I need money for a pencil
Mom: Sure honey, how much you need? Here's $2
Student: Mom, it's $99
Mom:
c45d8b13-fe14-46ab-8dac-1b0389c8f18e.jpg

Reactions: BlueAquarian

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Go check out the current pricing of third party stylii, all of which offer nothing close to the functionality. Doesn't seem too outlandish. I've use the Pencil by 53 ($50), and a couple from Adonit (even more expensive) and let's just say, I don't use any of them anymore. Pencil was decent for a fat tipped stylus but not good for any detailed work while the versions from Adonit are just garbage.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Go check out the current pricing of third party stylii, all of which offer nothing close to the functionality. Doesn't seem too outlandish. I've use the Pencil by 53 ($50), and a couple from Adonit (even more expensive) and let's just say, I don't use any of them anymore. Pencil was decent for a fat tipped stylus but not good for any detailed work while the versions from Adonit are just garbage.
Sorry, maybe in the isolated world of Apple a $99 stylus makes sense. For the rest of the world, $50 is more the norm for an active, pressure sensitive stylus.

Reactions: DavidLynch

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I myself prefer the 700.00 montblanc stylus....haha but no seriously, its kind of sad the pencil doesn't work with anything besides the pro.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Sorry, maybe in the isolated world of Apple a $99 stylus makes sense. For the rest of the world, $50 is more the norm for an active, pressure sensitive stylus.

I wonder if the APIs behind it will be opened or if they'll keep it an Apple Pencil exclusive?

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I'm a bit concerned actually - I noticed in the demo how the Microsoft guy held the pencil pretty high up and I'm a bit worried about whether it has proper palm detection - ie can you actually rest your hand on the display whilst drawing? If not the value really isn't nearly as high.

Reactions: bandrews and Pib

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I truly don't care. If the performance is as good as suggested by the videos, it will be worth it. I've already spent more than $100 on ****** capacative styluses so far trying to achieve a fraction of what was demoed. And many of those styluses are already $50+. Of course it remains to be seen how well it actually performs.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I truly don't care. If the performance is as good as suggested by the videos, it will be worth it. I've already spent more than $100 on ****** capacative styluses so far trying to achieve a fraction of what was demoed. And many of those styluses are already $50+. Of course it remains to be seen how well it actually performs.
You'll have to pay a premium (iPad Pro) in order to pay $99 for the privilege of using the Apple Pencil. :D

Reactions: mgarc1125

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I would get it if it was compatible with all other iOS devices. So I could use it on my iPad or Mini for note taking. $100 for one pencil that was usable on all iOS devices would be worth it for me.

Reactions: MarkCollette

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
And it doesn't even include the keyboard like the Surface does.

At university, see a bunch of students using Surfaces and MacBooks. People do you iPads but its way less than the other two.

Really wish Apple could have had a bundle or made it cheaper. I'm guessing this is for the niche market which is pretty sad because they Apple could really put its foot more in edu.

Thought when they were doing all that iBooks and Textbooks thing they were showing some interest but $1300...people are just going to buy a laptop which can do so much more.

Shame because this looks like an awesome note/drawing app. Could see a lot of students getting this if it was like $1000.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
If your buying an iPad pro Apple assumes your a baller , so you can afford the $99 pencil

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
What? It can only be used on the pro?

So the crazy price of the pro plus another $100 for this?

Okay hard pass

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Is there even palm rejection?

Check out this video from the announcement. The person's hand is hovering uncomfortably above the screen. at the 3:00 mark.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Are you serious? I can't use this on my iPad Air 2?
only the Pro got the display technology to support it. i am sure apple is well aware that the pro is mostly going to be used by professionals so the price of a pencil doesnt teally matter to those. dick move but smart

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

I questioned that too watching the announcement. Palm rejection seems to be per app and not system API wide. It looks like some apps support palm rejection while for others they intentionally keep their palm in the air which is really awkward and uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

Check out this video from the announcement. The person's hand is hovering uncomfortably above the screen. at the 3:00 mark.

Palm rejections defiantly in there....

image.png

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Apple is really taking liberties. $99 for a pencil?

I joked about it earlier about the pencil being $99 when they showed the pencil video. But when it actually came down to the price, I was shocked that it was actually $99.

I can just imagine this:

Student: Mom, I need money for a pencil
Mom: Sure honey, how much you need? Here's $2
Student: Mom, it's $99
Mom:
c45d8b13-fe14-46ab-8dac-1b0389c8f18e.jpg

The fact you're comparing a pencil to a stylus is troubling. People buy cases for their phones for nearly that much. A tool to help create and design for that price doesn't seem crazy to me.

And if a student or a student's parent can buy an iPad Pro for school, they can probably afford a stylus.

But I'm pretty sure unless you are studying in the creative field, you'd be ok with a used iPad of any sorts.

Reactions: Nausicaa and SHNXX

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
I'm not too bothered, as long as it doesn't fall apart in my hand in a year I'll be pretty happy. Options from Adonit are great but just as pricey. I like that for a 15 second charge it lasts 30 mins.. and it's first party, what everyone has been wishing for. I'll bite

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.