Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2010
Bath, UK
I have a Netgear Dual Band DGND 3300 (with different ssid's on each as recommended) and the iPad is ok (but not brilliant) on the G band but pretty useless on N.

Interestingly my MacBook Pro shows N to be the stronger signal whilst the iPad shows the opposite.

Strange

Anyone else noticed the same?

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Hmm, now that is interesting. When I was using my BT Home Hub for Wi-Fi (11g) my iPhone could connect when I was in the back garden. Now I've got an AirPort Extreme (11n) which is in the same place as the HH and my iPhone can't connect from the garden, although if it connects in the house and I go out into the garden it seems to keep the connection. Same behaviour with my iPad (although I didn't have it when I was using my HH).

InsiderApps

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
Mine seems to be slightly quicker at loading through my N network rather than my G, however I haven't physically tested it with times, however, as this is just from my experience.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I have a BT Home Hub 2.0, and have always had better range and stability with G than N across all my devices (iMac, MacBook, 2 x iPhones, iPad and Windows notebook).

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
This is likely true under certain circumstances (see the several other threads supporting better signal using G-only). I'm wondering if it's also that the iPad may work better in the 2.4GHz modes. Again, I think it will always depends on your specific setup, surroundings, etc., but I've had more success with G and 2.4GHz N with both an Airport Extreme and Belkin router.

I'm curious to hear what other users are experiencing when comparing the two. However, it's clear that Apple needs to address the N connectivity problems some of us have had. Hopefully this is one of the "other issues" they are referring to when they announced a future firmware update.

Edit: I should also note that my girl's MacBook has much better speeds in N so we keep the Airport running separate N and G bands to connect to. If I'm close to the base station N speeds are pretty good, but just one room over I have to be on G to stay connected. Regardless, her MacBook's signal is better than the ipad in any mode. I guess that's expected (more antennas, blah blah).

Stardotboy

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Manchester, UK
I also have a BT HomeHub 2.0 (piece of ****) and it took me a while to work out the cause of my regular dropped WiFi connections - it was set up on N band, and when switched to G all the problems disappear.

Ultimately it would be nice to be with a provider that gave a decent router, but for now I'll settle with G - at least it's stable.

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
I have a d link 11n router and it's working great. The router broadcasts every band on the same SSID and I have not noticed a problem. Steady connection fast.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
My iPad and my brand new MBP only ever connect to the G (2.4ghz) channel of my new dual band Time Capsule. Even if I force them on to the N channel they go back to G the next time they wake up. The range of the Time Capsule is abysmal on both channels.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
So how do I find out how my devices are connected (g or n) and how can I force them to g?

I've turned off 5GHz mode so my MBP is connecting n @ 2.4GHz (Option-click the Airport icon in the menu bar).

My AEBS has the following modes...

radio_mode.jpg

which doesn't make much sense to me, and the Help isn't much help either..

Set the radio mode to 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible), 802.11n only (2.4GHz), 802.11n (802.11a compatible), or 802.11n only (5GHz), depending on your base station and the client computers that will join your network.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
So how do I find out how my devices are connected (g or n) and how can I force them to g?

I've turned off 5GHz mode so my MBP is connecting n @ 2.4GHz (Option-click the Airport icon in the menu bar).

My AEBS has the following modes...

View attachment 228681

which doesn't make much sense to me, and the Help isn't much help either..

Set the radio mode to 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible), 802.11n only (2.4GHz), 802.11n (802.11a compatible), or 802.11n only (5GHz), depending on your base station and the client computers that will join your network.

Just select the 802.11a / 802.11b/g mode .. that should force you to G-mode only at 54Mbps.

Also, I haven't had any issues with my iPad and 802.11a/n modes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.