Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Savvasath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Hello,

I'm interested in buying an iPad Pro 10.5. Storage capacity doesn't matter much to me. What matters is storage speed. I heard in the past apple has used some lower speed storage in lower capacity models in some iPads or iPhones (I don't remember particular models) and I was wondering If any of you guys have come across any read/write differences between the iPad pro 64Gb and the 256Gb models. Or if maybe you can post your read and write speeds to check the difference ourselves.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Think of NAND flash as being in internal RAID-0 configuration. The more drives you have, the faster the speed until you hit a bottleneck elsewhere in the system. In general, bigger storage = faster drive.

Apple isn't using slower NAND for lower capacities intentionally. It's just naturally how these things work.

Savvasath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Thanks for your reply! Do you think the difference would be enough to be observable? For example I saw a difference of more than twice the read speeds in some devices. That should be observable. I hope that's not the case here.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
any read/write differences between the iPad pro 64Gb and the 256Gb models
The memory being used is so fast, I doubt you'll really notice the difference in real world usage. Its more about how some folks get worked up about benchmarks, which rarely depict actual usage, and even then the differences are so slight I doubt anyone will notice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.