Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lisztofwords

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Hello guys,

Last week, I updated my iPad Pro to 13.4 but ended up having the device restart every three minutes. I downgraded to 13.3. Yesterday, when I saw that Apple released a new version, I updated, and guess what, it started the endless reboot every three minutes. NOTHING worked, even a hard reset. I don't know what's in the new update that wrecks my device. Any form of help will be welcome.

Thanks,

Reactions: davemccr

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I have the same iPad Pro as you have and it updated without any problems. If even after a hard reset you have the same problem, it could be hardware related. You might want to try a complete restore after making a backup first.

lisztofwords

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
I have the same iPad Pro as you have and it updated without any problems. If even after a hard reset you have the same problem, it could be hardware related. You might want to try a complete restore after making a backup first.
It worked with ZERO problems on iOS 13.3. That this issue is hardware-related is beyond me. This issue was introduced with this specific update. I never encountered these problems before. I have tried a hard reset but to no avail. I'm really confused.

lisztofwords

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
I wish I could roll back to iOS 13.3, but the problem is that its IPSW is no longer signed. Any method to get an unsigned IPSW on the device?

davemccr

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
I have exactly the same problem, it started after I installed the supplemental 13.4.1 update, I've tried a restore, a DFU reinstall, still doesn't work, I've also spent a few hours with Apple Phone support... 10.5" iPad Pro... did you ever find a solution?

Reactions: lisztofwords

lisztofwords

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
I have exactly the same problem, it started after I installed the supplemental 13.4.1 update, I've tried a restore, a DFU reinstall, still doesn't work, I've also spent a few hours with Apple Phone support... 10.5" iPad Pro... did you ever find a solution?
NONE whatsoever. In Morocco, Apple authorized services are shut down for the time being. This issue sucks. When I looked at the analytics report, it turns out it's a kernel panic. If you find a fix, please let me know. I'm still looking for a fix.

Nokio

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
Same problem with my ipad pro 10.5.Restarts every 3 minutes.I tried hard reset and restore via itunes but didn’t fix the problem.Any solution will be welcome

lisztofwords

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Unfortunately, there is no solution to this day. Apple kept telling us that it's a hardware issue. Not even iPadOS 14 fixed it.

Nokio

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
Unfortunately, there is no solution to this day. Apple kept telling us that it's a hardware issue. Not even iPadOS 14 fixed it.
So sad to hear that.It’s a pity so many expensive devices to be useless and Apple don’t do anything to fix it.

lisztofwords

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
It it were actually a hardware issue, I'd let it slide, but it was caused by the stupid update. Sad!

Reactions: Nokio

Nokio

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2020
Any good news about the new update?Does it fix the problem?Has someone do the update?

Barry A.

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
Install the new iPadOS 14 developer beta, it fixed the issue.

Hi, I have the same issue with my iPad Pro 12.9 (gen1).. reboots every 2 min 45+ seconds (just under 3 minutes...i use timer to check).
Hard reset, Erase all Data, drain batt to 0% then charge to 100, update to,iOS 14.0 ...NOTHING WORKS.

Today I saw there’s a 14.0.1 update so I tried that, thing king since your upgrading to developer beta worked....but the problem remained.

you think I can try the developer beta too? Your post was dated 8/9 and I wonder if that beta is now the new 14.0.1 update.... (also I’ve never updated using a developer beta before, but I’m desperate now)

it’s really so frustrating ..like someone above said, we spend all this $$$ ..especially on the premium priced PRO and this happens ?. And I don’t want to go to an Apple store because of Covid (I’m not in the US btw). Also they might just say it’s a hardware problem andask for more ?from me .

hope someone can give advice ...thanks !!

Barry A.

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
Any good news about the new update?Does it fix the problem?Has someone do the update?
Same problem ! Please tells us if you find a solution

just a quick check guys to see if we have the exact same problem... (Apologies to @lisztofwords..hope I’m not “hijacking” your thread...)

- I boot my iPad Pro, immediately use the Stopwatch app.. it reboots every 2min 45+ seconds (never reaches 3 minutes )

- I try leaving it alone, with screen saver off... use a phone stopwatch, same thing..it reboots around that time.

- I tried using other simple apps...ebook reader, YouTube...same

- then I downloaded a graphics benchmark app... 3Dmark (Slingshot)... it runs 3D graphics for 4 mins and every time it ends, I just Run it again.. I kept doing this while my phone stopwatch is on...it reached 1 hour without restarting! Then I ran the game Asphalt 9 and played it for 10 mins more...no reboots, so a total of 1 hr 10 mins where it’s fine ....then I went back to simple tasks and it rebooted again within 3 mins (after 1 hr 10 mins of extensive graphics workout)

- so I’m thinking this might either be a hardware CPU/Mem issue or software optimisation issue or something. Seeing your posts and similar posts elsewhere where it’s the “3 min reboot” issue makes me wonderwhich is which .

if you guys are still around and still have this issue, would you like to this 3DMark test thing if it will yield the same results?

or if you already resolved this issue, kindly share how you fixed it... thanks ?

Tom D.

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
There may be some hope. I just updated to 14.1 and my iPad Pro 10.5 has been running for a few hours.
I could not do a normal update because it kept rebooting before it finished.

I cleared and reloaded it through my iMac which clears the iPad and reloads the os as if it is a new iPad.
I tried this with 14.0 and 14.01 which did not solve the problem Today I saw that 14.1 was released so I tried it and it has been working for several hours now.

This process does remove everything from the iPad, so you need a backup that you can restore from.

I had to use a cable to connect the iPad to my Mac. Then hold the power and home button for about 30 seconds until an image of a cable appears. A finder window will open on the Mac and allow you to restore and update the iPad.

This takes about 10 to 15 minutes and then the iPad must be set up as a new iPad and the backup restored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.