Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightFall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
US
I have an iPad Pro 10.5". I noticed that the speakers aren't super loud. They seem slightly quieter than my old 9.7 pro.
For the 1st 1/3 of the volume meter, its very quiet, almost as if no sound is coming out until 3 or 4 bars. It gets loud in the last 1/3.

Also the keyboard clicks aren't very loud. (I have sound effects turned all the way up)

Has anybody else noticed this?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have an iPad Pro 10.5". I noticed that the speakers aren't super loud. They seem slightly quieter than my old 9.7 pro.
For the 1st 1/3 of the volume meter, its very quiet, almost as if no sound is coming out until 3 or 4 bars. It gets loud in the last 1/3.

Also the keyboard clicks aren't very loud. (I have sound effects turned all the way up)

That doesn't sound right. The quad speakers on the new 10.5 Pro should be rather loud and balanced. I would either have Apple look at it or replace it , or you can do a side-by-side comparison in store.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

SaddleSC

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
In the upper 1/3 of the volume meter my 10.5" IPP gets quite loud; however, I did notice the phenomenon you are describing at lower volume settings. The volume does not increase in a linear fashion. The bottom 1/3 of the meter does not give much volume at all. In the middle 1/3, the sound increases much more per click and in the upper 1/3 of the meter, the steps between levels are much larger.

KnightFall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
US
Here are some other threads Ive come across with people having similar issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/6h6mqi/ipad_pro_105_speakers_vs_97/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/6h3vfm/ipad_pro_105_volume_level/
[doublepost=1497464718][/doublepost]
In the upper 1/3 of the volume meter my 10.5" IPP gets quite loud; however, I did notice the phenomenon you are describing at lower volume settings. The volume does not increase in a linear fashion. The bottom 1/3 of the meter does not give much volume at all. In the middle 1/3, the sound increases much more per click and in the upper 1/3 of the meter, the steps between levels are much larger.

Thanks for the reply! Yes that is exactly how mine is, it is not increasing in a linear fashion.
Are your keyboard clicks also relatively quiet? I can hear the backspace clearly, but the key clicks themselves don't make much noise.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Sounds like software issues.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Can confirm. At lower levels, sound seems to be too quiet. Middle range, a bit better. Seems you really need to jack up the sound to hear anything.

Can also confirm, keyboard sound is unusually low, and the keyboard click volume does not seem to be proportional with the application volume.

KnightFall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
US
Can confirm. At lower levels, sound seems to be too quiet. Middle range, a bit better. Seems you really need to jack up the sound to hear anything.

Can also confirm, keyboard sound is unusually low, and the keyboard click volume does not seem to be proportional with the application volume.
Thanks for the reply, glad to hear Im not the only one with this issue.

Sunil1985

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2017
I also have the iPad Pro 10.5 and noticed the volume near the charging port to be lower than the one at the top.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

KnightFall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
US
I also have the iPad Pro 10.5 and noticed the volume near the charging port to be lower than the one at the top.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?
Yeah, I think the 2 speakers at the bottom are more for bass than the ones on the top

Skunkape123

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
I'm also in the same boat with the volume. While it does sound great since coming from an iPad Air 2, I did think they would have been louder since I have heard how the 4 speaker setup sounds on the iPad Pro 9.7

Seeing that many are noticing this, makes me feel better that it's not only me and hopefully more of a software issue than hardware.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'm also in the same boat with the volume. While it does sound great since coming from an iPad Air 2, I did think they would have been louder since I have heard how the 4 speaker setup sounds on the iPad Pro 9.7

Seeing that many are noticing this, makes me feel better that it's not only me and hopefully more of a software issue than hardware.

Could also be apple cheaping out. It is a possibility.

I never saw a 6s plus screen as good as my 6+ Even tho in theory the same specs

Not hating just saying

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Yep...

Pretty sure the speakers are louder on my 9.7 Pro vs the 10.5 Pro.

It's close, and the newer model has better bass I think. I compared my 9.7 in the silicon case (back & cover) to the 10.5 naked, since there aren't any cases that fit yet.

I'll test it in next few days, but first impression is 9.7 is a bit louder.

Well the 9.7 has the silicon back on it while the 10.5 was naked, so the latter's chassis will be less damped. Which is why I was surprised to notice the 9.7 was louder.

After I finish 2 days of breaking the 10.5 in with pink noise I'll test them with a dB meter.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I like the idea of a non-linear volume control. Often in a quiet room/area the first few notches can be too quiet or too loud with no in-between.

I hope it goes as loud as the 9.7 though. Makes a nice kitchen radio on occasion :)

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I was sitting outside last night on my back patio with the 10.5" and the volume was set at 1/3 and I could easily hear my music from 10 feet away. I was listening to Bob Marley. Glad I dont have any issues with my speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.