Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lando555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Germany
I need an adapter to import photos from my camera to my 10,5 iPad Pro when I am away from my Mac. I just don't understand the difference between the USB 3 Camera Adapter and the SD Card Camera Reader. Of course, I know that the first will require my regular camera data cable while the latter can be used directly with the SD card. With the iPad Pro 10,5 and the latest versions of the adapters, transfer speeds should be the same (USB 3), right? And both support the same file formats? I see that user ratings of the adapters vary significantly depending on the website. Is there anything I didn't get?

I know that the USB adapter could also be used to connect the iPad to, e.g., a microphone. This is not relevant for me. However, if one of the two adapters could be useful for other (future) use cases, this is an argument.
Could the USB connector also be used to import photos from an iPhone to an iPad to create a backup?

Thank you for your support!

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I need an adapter to import photos from my camera to my 10,5 iPad Pro when I am away from my Mac. I just don't understand the difference between the USB 3 Camera Adapter and the SD Card Camera Reader.
The USB camera adapter is to connect a camera directly to the iPad to import photographs. The SD card reader is obviously just for the SD card.

Now why have a USB camera adapter? Because not all cameras use SD cards. :) The highest end Canon or Nikon flag-ship cameras used by professionals don't use SD cards at all.

Lando555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Germany
The USB camera adapter is to connect a camera directly to the iPad to import photographs. The SD card reader is obviously just for the SD card.

Now why have a USB camera adapter? Because not all cameras use SD cards. :) The highest end Canon or Nikon flag-ship cameras used by professionals don't use SD cards at all.
Thank you. Yes, I know. I mainly use Sony ILCE mirrorless cameras with SDXC cards.
Apart from this, are there any other differences concerning transfer rate or compatibility with certain file formats, especially for video files? Is there a clear recommendation which adapter to get when having a 10,5 iPad Pro and a camera that uses SD cards? Are there additional use cases for these adapters that I am not aware of?

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202034 (using the USB Camera adapter for other USB devices).

Transfer rate is USB 3 speeds for the iPad Pro and both should remain identical. File formats are basically whatever is supported in the "Photos" App, as that is the only interface that will work with importing files from the SD card reader.

Thank you. Yes, I know. I mainly use Sony ILCE mirrorless cameras with SDXC cards.
Apart from this, are there any other differences concerning transfer rate or compatibility with certain file formats, especially for video files? Is there a clear recommendation which adapter to get when having a 10,5 iPad Pro and a camera that uses SD cards? Are there additional use cases for these adapters that I am not aware of?

Reactions: Lando555

Lando555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Germany
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202034 (using the USB Camera adapter for other USB devices).

Transfer rate is USB 3 speeds for the iPad Pro and both should remain identical. File formats are basically whatever is supported in the "Photos" App, as that is the only interface that will work with importing files from the SD card reader.
Thank you! So basically, it's about personal preferences. With the USB 3 adapter, you will also have to carry your data cable with you while OTOH the adapter itself is more versatile.

Reactions: danniexi

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Thank you! So basically, it's about personal preferences. With the USB 3 adapter, you will also have to carry your data cable with you while OTOH the adapter itself is more versatile.
exactly. if you strictly use SD cards and will only use the transfer for photos, then you can stick with the SD Card to Lightning. but like you said, the USB is more versatile even though you may have to carry an extra USB cable.

I personally have the SD card reader as I'm only a hobbyist, and both my cameras (Canon 6D and Fujifilm X100F) use SD cards only.

Reactions: Lando555

Lando555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Germany
Thanks again. I decided to get the SD card camera reader because I noticed that my main camera only supports USB 2.0. So I was expecting the SD card camera reader to perform better for my use case. Additionally, I saved some bucks and, actually, I am not sure I would really need the versatility of the USB 3 camera adapter.

du322

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
Thanks again. I decided to get the SD card camera reader because I noticed that my main camera only supports USB 2.0. So I was expecting the SD card camera reader to perform better for my use case. Additionally, I saved some bucks and, actually, I am not sure I would really need the versatility of the USB 3 camera adapter.

Another consideration is that if you are planning to use the USB adapter many card readers won't fit with a power cable in the adapter's power slot yet they also won't work without it because of the power draw.

In addition I found that my Kingston compact flash card reader, which is USB 3.0, was extremely slow (30 secs per image) when used with the adapter (it's several images per second when attached to a computer USB 3.0 port) and would time out before all images on the card could be copied.

From my testing I'd say if you're using SD cards then go for the SD card reader version but if you're using other card formats then plan to use a cable connected to your camera along with the USB adapter. You may be able to get some card readers to work with it but it's not a given.

mcrmama

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
I use the USB camera adapter as I can hook it up to my digital piano and also charge my iPad while playing at the same time. It is a bonus that I can use it with my camera too, lol.

shm

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Poland
I only get about 50 mb/s out of my USB3 adapter with both iPad Pro 10,5 and 12,9 - could you guys share your results for image import? (and I mean real numbers - transfer times for given unit of data - saying USB3 speeds does not mean a lot really, apart form "faster than USB2")

Thanks!

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
The big big advantage of usb3 adapter is the charging lighting port. It’s useful not just for charging your i-device... A lot of usb devices (piano keyboards, DAC’s, ... you name it) work flawlessly as they can get power from connected lighting.
I’ve got both adapters, but my music gadgets only work with latest version.
When only “usb camera adapter” existed, it was a known fact that Apple named it so because only very low power usb things could work reliably; anyhow, it was possible to use some other external devices.
With this new adapter, Apple dares to name it “usb adapter”, as it works as “usb” in general (of course, iOS, or app, has to be able to recognize & use whatever you connect).

Tatsh

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
My DAC works great with this. It's awesome to get the sound like that from an iOS device.

Anyone tried game controllers? So far no go on any Xbox 360 stuff. Wonder if Xbox One or PS4 (or PS3) would work wired. It's more likely the latter will work because those are standard HID devices that require no drivers on macOS.

J.Gallardo

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2017
Spain
My DAC works great with this. It's awesome to get the sound like that from an iOS device.

Anyone tried game controllers? So far no go on any Xbox 360 stuff. Wonder if Xbox One or PS4 (or PS3) would work wired. It's more likely the latter will work because those are standard HID devices that require no drivers on macOS.
The question is not about what device could work... There MUST be an operating system or app that KNOWS what to do with the usb connected device. (I believe there isn’t any app to drive standard usb game controllers). I mean: a mouse could “work” (it will get “on”), but... there is no mouse pointer in the software side! A usb keyboard will work, as System knows how to use it.

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
can I use the usb 3 adapter to import photos from iPhone ?
I tried to airdrop them but it didn't work maybe due to huge size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.