Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
My 1st gen iPad Pro 11 only has 4 GB and it is not happy with iPadOS 17 after being up a couple of days. It needs to be frequently restarted.

Problems I’ve seen include:

* notifications for apps stop working.
* Notes freaking out and talking about Activity with no way to continue short of killing the app.
* Safari just no longer working until killed and restarted.
* keyboard typing slow, especially in Notes.
* apps in slide over suddenly not being there anymore.

Basically iOS 17 doesn’t work properly with 4 GB of RAM.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
On my M1 11” 128GB model I get constant issues now with iOS 17, I get issues with video playing and apps like You Tube locking up, I have to close the app and open it again, usually when I’ve entered text or an trying to. Mind you in my iPhone 13 Pro I regularly have the You Tube app crash too. Buggy release this one.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I’ve been having lots of issues with my (4GB) 10.5” Pro. I appreciate it’s an older ipad now but the amount of app crashes and failures to launch are ridiculous; if this is just how it is then 17 should never have been made available for the 10.5” in my opinion. This ipad used to run 16 just fine.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’ve been having lots of issues with my (4GB) 10.5” Pro. I appreciate it’s an older ipad now but the amount of app crashes and failures to launch are ridiculous; if this is just how it is then 17 should never have been made available for the 10.5” in my opinion. This ipad used to run 16 just fine.
It’s in their DNA. They can’t help it. They always push too far. Battery life is likely extremely poor, too. The sad part is that millions of otherwise outstanding devices are just left to die because they won’t allow downgrading for some inexplicable reason.

It’s just like the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. “The A9X is a massive powerhouse!”; “This iPad will be astonishing for years!”; “Yes, maybe Apple should’ve included 4GB of RAM just like its older brother, but it’s so fluent on iOS 9, just like the iPhone 6s!”. Go ask 9.7-inch iPad Pro users what their opinion is of the “A9X powerhouse” ever since iPadOS 13. Even more importantly, ask them what they think of iPadOS 16. Utter garbage. Battery life is claimed to be scraping 4 hours, and performance is just like your 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

It’s not that Apple pushed too far on iPadOS 16 and 17 for 9.7-inch and 10.5-inch iPad Pro users respectively, it’s that Apple shouldn’t have pushed iOS 10 for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro and iOS 11 for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

Like I said, millions of iOS devices which could be perfect even with their software limitations are left to rot. I could very clearly grab an iPad Air 2 on iOS 8 and just use it for Netflix and to read iBooks. It will be just as good for that as the M2 iPad Pro, obviously barring the screen design and the speakers if you choose not to use headphones, but it would be just as good. Now it isn’t, because it is slow and battery life is also probably like 2 hours. It’s garbage.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I’m getting tired of the many bugs in iOS 17 I have to say, with Reddit if I watch a video full screen sometimes it won’t go back out of it and I have to close the app, also You Tube can just show empty white boxes instead of comments etc. this was one very rubbish poor release by Apple. Is this what they do now? Release new vestiges one year then s bug fix for the new os the following? This is on my iPad Pro M1. Battery life is dreadful now too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.