Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Hi folks!

I have/had the opportunity to purchase an 11 inch 4th gen 256 gb iPad Pro with Apple Pencil for 550 cash.

It is legit, unlocked and purchased a little less than a year ago, and sat for a few months.

When I went to meet up the seller was super nice. Serial number matched the box. Took it home and noticed a small crack in the corner. Shocked but I can only see it in fluorescent lights - not outside in the overcast where we met up.

Seller said they would take it back for a full refund OR offer 75 cash back to keep the iPad as is.

I legit have no idea what to do! Is that price worth a small crack?

I also have a gen 1 11inch iPad Pro that serves my needs, but the battery is really starting to struggle for my needs when away from a charging cable.
Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.30.12 AM.png

Thoughts on what to do?

I am stuck.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Took it home and noticed a small crack in the corner. Shocked but I can only see it in fluorescent lights - not outside in the overcast where we met up.

If I faced this decision, I would get the refund. Why? Because the crack was not disclosed by the seller and, perhaps more important, it is impossible to know what caused the crack. If the iPad was dropped, there could be internal damage. Or perhaps there was a botched repair job. Plus the integrity of the outer glass and potentially the screen itself has been reduced.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
If I faced this decision, I would get the refund. Why? Because the crack was not disclosed by the seller and, perhaps more important, it is impossible to know what caused the crack. If the iPad was dropped, there could be internal damage. Or perhaps there was a botched repair job. Plus the integrity of the outer glass and potentially the screen itself has been reduced.
I do believe that is the way I am leaning.

The seller seemed shocked once I got home and immediately offered a refund or a reduction price so I don’t think it was done with ill intent but as you mentioned, I’m not exactly sure how it happened. So I can’t be too much else. There’s no damage anywhere else, and it definitely does not look like there’s been any trauma to the frame, but, just not sure. The other issue is I would imagine any resale value is lost. Buying this iPad for $550 I could likely sell it in a year or not that much less but, with a crack that is no more.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
A crack means that this iPad is a broken device, plain and simple. I If I was in your situation and had the option to get a refund, I would exercise it right away and find one that is not broken.

Also, I think that the seller knew but tried to get away with it, otherwise he or she would have pushed back and claimed that you must've done it. At least he is decent enough to admit it and offer a refund.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
A crack means that this iPad is a broken device, plain and simple. I If I was in your situation and had the option to get a refund, I would exercise it right away and find one that is not broken.

Also, I think that the seller knew but tried to get away with it, otherwise he or she would have pushed back and claimed that you must've done it. At least he is decent enough to admit it and offer a refund.
Yes... I agree. Met back up, and got a full refund. much better that way.

Reactions: JCCL

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Honestly, I don't see a reason to worry about a small hairline crack like that. While, yeah, it is something they didn't tell you about, if they didn't notice it before, and was honest enough to offer you a reimbursement, I would just take the great deal and run with it.

Considering, well, I got the same model, but with half the storage, and without the pencil, for 250$ more. Put a screen protector on if it bothers you, but in my opinion, you just ran into a great deal, and taking the 75$ would make it even greater :3

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
It was a good price, but I struggled to be ok with it. The return the net day went off with out a hitch. I may not find one at that price again, but so is life.

My 2018 11 pro is still chugging along, ,all be it not as fast as an M2.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
It was a good price, but I struggled to be ok with it. The return the net day went off with out a hitch. I may not find one at that price again, but so is life.

My 2018 11 pro is still chugging along, ,all be it not as fast as an M2.
...Honestly, you could probably find a laptop with an i5 or i7 (no I don't mean an intel Macbook) for about the same price you paid for the iPad. Every day I do have a little regret not using the money to get a laptop instead, since they're so unshackled, but they do have a bit of a security risk that comes with the freedom...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.