Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I've got the 11" iPad Pro (M1), which I use for taking notes and other studies. Still, I was always going to buy a dedicated laptop for more heavy-duty use, but after thinking about it for a while, I'm highly tempted to buy the Magic Keyboard and use the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement. Does anyone else use the iPad Pro like that, and if so, have you found any problems doing this?

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I mean, tale as old as time here. (Or at least it feels like it.) Completely depends on your individual use case. I use an 11’ M1 iPad Pro with the MKB, and it covers maybe 90% of what I do.

Here’s really the only answer: Buy it and try it. If it doesn’t work out, return it. This is the only way to know for sure.

Reactions: ascender

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
I've got the 11" iPad Pro (M1), which I use for taking notes and other studies. Still, I was always going to buy a dedicated laptop for more heavy-duty use, but after thinking about it for a while, I'm highly tempted to buy the Magic Keyboard and use the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement. Does anyone else use the iPad Pro like that, and if so, have you found any problems doing this?
Thats my most recent setup in the Apple ecosystem and it works fine - the only thing I added to the setup is some storage to make it 128GB, an Apple Magic mouse, an Apple Pencil, and a [MagEZ Case 2] Ultra Thin Aramid Fiber Magnetic Case that is a Magic Keyboard Compatible Case… would I say it replaces a dedicated laptop running MacOS… No, not at all. And it was not intended to. But it offers a level of convenience that is nice to have. No problems with exception of just getting use to the keyboard and the mouse… - I look forward to seeing the iOS 16 features like Stage Manager to see how that works out… If you don’t go in with expectations it is going to perform like, and replace a dedicated laptop running MacOS and all its apps, and you‘ll likely be happy with it too.

Reactions: ikejr

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I mean, tale as old as time here. (Or at least it feels like it.) Completely depends on your individual use case. I use an 11’ M1 iPad Pro with the MKB, and it covers maybe 90% of what I do.

Here’s really the only answer: Buy it and try it. If it doesn’t work out, return it. This is the only way to know for sure.

Thats my most recent setup in the Apple ecosystem and it works fine - the only thing I added to the setup is some storage to make it 128GB, an Apple Magic mouse, an Apple Pencil, and a [MagEZ Case 2] Ultra Thin Aramid Fiber Magnetic Case that is a Magic Keyboard Compatible Case… would I say it replaces a dedicated laptop running MacOS… No, not at all. And it was not intended to. But it offers a level of convenience that is nice to have. No problems with exception of just getting use to the keyboard and the mouse… - I look forward to seeing the iOS 16 features like Stage Manager to see how that works out… If you don’t go in with expectations it is going to perform like, and replace a dedicated laptop running MacOS and all its apps, and you‘ll likely be happy with it too.
Thank you both. I guess you are right. I should just get it and see how it works out. I mean most of what I want to do is web browsing but there are going to be times when I might want to do more which might require a laptop.

Reactions: EastHillWill

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have had iPads for the past 10 years and have always maintained that they are not laptop replacement. However that has changed in recent three years thanks to:
Split screen
Dock icons
External monitor support
Stage manager
Mouse and keyboard support
Keyboard and trackpad cases

For greater comfort you can always buy an external monitor for cheap. Last week I was set on buying an M2 MacBook Air but have not ordered an iPad 11 pro + Logi Combo touch.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
Thank you both. I guess you are right. I should just get it and see how it works out. I mean most of what I want to do is web browsing but there are going to be times when I might want to do more which might require a laptop.
I mostly browse the web as well, but even that can be an issue at times. The problem I run into is that despite Safari being advertised as 'desktop class' there are still times when a webpage simply won't render properly. I most often see it with web forms, either entering text or interacting with buttons. Another not-uncommon issue is that a popup or something loads (despite my blockers) and there's no way to close it to move forward. It seems to be a WebKit issue, so using different browsers often doesn't help.

My point is just that personally, due to this issue and a few others, I couldn't have an iPad as my only computer. Even if those hard stops only occur 5% of the time, they still require access to a traditional desktop or laptop.

The iPad + MKB is still a great combo, as it works the vast majority of the time, and when it does I really enjoy using it. For most folks who are interested I'd definitely recommend trying it and seeing how it goes!

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
iPad 11” + MK, my experience isn’t much effective, mainly due to the small screen (for serious work you need to split screen), and also the MK layout is bit cramped (my hand is normal size). If I were you, I would go with laptop / MacBook.
One more, don’t expect you can do heavy duty job in iPad. Current iPadOS is still very limiting, even though the processor has used M1.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’d say it depends on your heavy duty use. I used an 11” iPP with MK for a while - just went to a 12.9 a few months ago because I realized since I really don’t need anything more, I might as well have a little more screen space to enjoy. I do enjoy it at the desk, but miss the size of the 11” when traveling.

At any rate, I can do all I need on an iPad, and I prefer it.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the 11 inch Pro 2021 with the magic keyboard and Magic Mouse. I use it for everything. I have a 2 year old laptop which I rarely use.

Most of the time I use the iPad by itself. If I have to type a long letter, do a PowerPoint presentation or Excel spreadsheet, I’ll use the magic keyboard.

r_mack

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
Prince Edward Island, Canada
I have an iPad Pro and had a Magic Keyboard. I returned it. For me, I enjoyed the lightness and portability of the setup, but I do a lot of videoconferencing, and the camera on the side was frustrating. Also, when I would share my screen, the camera would always reset Center Stage and it would zoom out completely. So, switched to the MBA.

I still use my iPad Pro, but now for public speaking and document access. Also, typical stuff like browsing and media. I plan to produce a podcast with it later this year.

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
If you can do everything you need-to on an iPad with iOS, then go for it. iOS 16 is only going to improve things for people who use their iPads as their primary device. The 11” with Magic Keyboard is a very nice, ultraportable setup and flexible as you can just detach the keyboard when you don’t need it.

Reactions: chevyboy60013

TightLines

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2022
One more, don’t expect you can do heavy duty job in iPad. Current iPadOS is still very limiting, even though the processor has used M1.
You got that right… I have crashed the iPad apps a number of times… its not a M1 like the computer M1… and i have the upgrade in the storage too… but RAM is limited in the iPad devices… and its not enough to handle anything of great substance… such as document creation with design elements incorporated (such as graphics, tables, etc…) or any significant photo editing… and i don‘t think i would even contemplate trying to do any video editing on it, even though it came with iMovie installed… so even the occasional task may not fly too well on the iPad… and thats when you will wish you had a Macbook

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Since I got my 3rd generation iPad Pro with the m1 chip and magic keyboard, it has become basically my main device, and very rarely use my MacBook Air. It does everything I need it to do 99% of the time, and does it well. It also has awesome battery life as well, as well as seems much lighter to carry in a small backpack than carrying an actual laptop case. I am debating on getting the Apple Pencil for it as well but undecided on that.

BATman.Berlin

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
California
If you only do web browsing and email, the iPad might be ok.
For me it is not.
1. Fusion360 for 3D parts design and electrical circuits only works on classic laptops
2. Slicer software for my 3D printer only works on classic laptops
3. Arduino IDE to tell my creations what to do only works on classic laptops
4. Creating office documents beyond simple letters is a pain on the iPad. Excel and PowerPoint in particular

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I absolutely love typing on my Magic Keyboard. It’s buttery smooth. Of course it will never replace my MacBook Pro, but it’s perfect as a secondary device. If you plan to do a lot of typing I would seriously consider purchasing it. Just buy it and try it out for a little while. If you think that you need more, then return it and put that money towards a laptop. Once you type on it, you will be sold.

4494BEC2-6C41-497B-9A3C-37EE767F5222.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.