Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshelton

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
My main use for the iPad is watching Netflix, YouTube, browsing Reddit, etc. I do prefer the 120Hz display for movies on the Pro. I watch a lot on planes and on the couch/in the bed. In your opinion, is the $699 iPad Pro a better option than the $449 iPad Air for my needs?

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
My main use for the iPad is watching Netflix, YouTube, browsing Reddit, etc. I do prefer the 120Hz display for movies on the Pro. I watch a lot on planes and on the couch/in the bed. In your opinion, is the $699 iPad Pro a better option than the $449 iPad Air for my needs?
The main difference between these 2 is the 120 hz screen and quad speakers on the Pro, and i suppose the M2 chip over the M1 (though for your use case, wont really matter). Everything else is the same. If you use headphones/airpods to watch videos a lot, then the quad speakers wont make any difference. So it really boils down to that 120 hz screen being worth the extra $250?

Reactions: Isamilis

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
64GB Air 5 vs 128GB Pro 11. I’d go for the 128GB Pro.

Personally, I’m finding 64GB quite cramped nowadays even without any music/videos/photo library downloaded. I’ve had to offload/delete apps on 64GB devices just so I can install OTA updates.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
120hz doesn't matter for video watching since, only for browsing/scrolling. Quad speaker could matter a lot. And storage could be a factor too

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Personally from experience I would go with the pro. You get double the storage space, better speakers and a better screen. Also if im not mistaken you also get HDR which would be the #1 feature that would interest you for media consumption. Then you get the added features like FaceID etc, pro motion etc.

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
Personally from experience I would go with the pro. You get double the storage space, better speakers and a better screen. Also if im not mistaken you also get HDR which would be the #1 feature that would interest you for media consumption. Then you get the added features like FaceID etc, pro motion etc.
Better microphone array as well, better connectivity (Bluetooth 5.3, WiFi 6E), LiDar, Thunderbolt 4 as opposed to regular USB C and yeah HDR10 support.

Given the usually small difference in price, the Pro is a no-brainer in many regions.

Reactions: Student of Life

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
If you're comparing a 4th/5th Gen iPad Air and any 11-inch iPad Pro side-by-side, the latter will always have the superior speakers. I don't know that the difference is otherwise worth it and you're probably going to be just as well served by an Apple Certified Refurbished 3rd Generation (M1) version of the 11-inch iPad Pro as you would by the current 4th Generation (M2) version. For watching movies, I don't know that it's worth the extra money. Certainly if the speakers are a concern, you could, for the same money, buy enough HomePod minis to make whatever room you're watching your movie in sound WAY better than it would from any 11-inch iPad Pro's speakers alone.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I think they’re close enough so that the difference isn’t worth it. Also, I didn’t find the screens too different, but perhaps I’m not perceptive enough to the 120 Hz, who knows.

The speakers are significantly better on the Pro, but that’s also personal: I don’t use iPad speakers. I love my 9.7-inch iPad Pro’s speakers, and they’re significantly better than the ones on my Air 5, but I don’t use them. If you do, maybe it’s worth considering.

I don’t think the Pro is worth the difference, honestly.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The Pro also has a flash that the Air doesn't. Hey, don't laugh. That little light is useful sometimes.

Plus, the Pro offers larger storage capacities and more RAM on 1TB or higher.

Reactions: Student of Life

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Touch ID is the biggest advantage the Air having. Except that, unless the storage options are too small, the Air would be perfect for the OP needs.
I haven't tried the side touch id but I much prefer the old touch id to face id. I actually hate Face ID on iPad. It doesn't work most of the time, because I am either too far, or too high (standing while iPad is on a magic keyboard) or not at the right angle (in front my my pc with iPad to the side). Windows Hello has a much wider angle for instance. Or I am blocking it with my thumb while holding the device.
I ended up disabling biometric completely at home (and removing the code/password as well) on my face id iPads and only enable it if I go on a trip... (for short trips I take my Mini 5 with touch id)

Reactions: geta

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I haven't tried the side touch id but I much prefer the old touch id to face id. I actually hate Face ID on iPad. It doesn't work most of the time, because I am either too far, or too high (standing while iPad is on a magic keyboard) or not at the right angle (in front my my pc with iPad to the side). Windows Hello has a much wider angle for instance. Or I am blocking it with my thumb while holding the device.
I ended up disabling biometric completely at home (and removing the code/password as well) on my face id iPads and only enable it if I go on a trip... (for short trips I take my Mini 5 with touch id)
You prob already have taken precautionary steps to this, but still curious of what steps.
What if someone burgles your home and steals the iPad, easy peasy to change your iCloud password and take ownership of all your devices connected to that icloud account?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I haven't tried the side touch id but I much prefer the old touch id to face id. I actually hate Face ID on iPad. It doesn't work most of the time, because I am either too far, or too high (standing while iPad is on a magic keyboard) or not at the right angle (in front my my pc with iPad to the side).
Face ID on the iPad would be nicer if it had the extra functionalities that the iPhone has- unlock with Watch and with a mask on. But yes, I do find myself contorting sometimes to get the iPad's Face ID sensor to find my face to unlock, which just doesn't happen with iPhone.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Never had single issue with the Touch ID on my Mini 6, it always work.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You prob already have taken precautionary steps to this, but still curious of what steps.
What if someone burgles your home and steals the iPad, easy peasy to change your iCloud password and take ownership of all your devices connected to that icloud account?
How can they easily change my iCloud password without having it?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
How can they easily change my iCloud password without having it?
That depends on your device i guess. If its a trusted device they can use the device to reset it.
And it might be a case that you don't have any personal info such as mail or apps and only using it for browsing, but if you don't have no passcode device can't be locked and you can turn off "find my device" functionality.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
That depends on your device i guess. If its a trusted device they can use the device to reset it.
And it might be a case that you don't have any personal info such as mail or apps and only using it for browsing, but if you don't have no passcode device can't be locked and you can turn off "find my device" functionality.

I am not sure about what that means. I tend to think that a trusted device is a device where some kind of biometrics or passcode still works not a totally unlocked device....
Also I disable find my iPad in all my devices as these reduces standby time (although it still tells me find my eats my battery anyway)
Having said that burglary is not a big concern where I live and I am home most of the day every day.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I am not sure about what that means. I tend to think that a trusted device is a device where some kind of biometrics or passcode still works not a totally unlocked device....
Also I disable find my iPad in all my devices as these reduces standby time (although it still tells me find my eats my battery anyway)
Having said that burglary is not a big concern where I live and I am home most of the day every day.
Tried to disable the passcode on my iPhone to see if it was possible that a device can be trusted without a passcode but can't to it on my main device due to policy restrictions. Will have a look at it on another device, I would hope not and then a burglar at least can't use your iPad to reset your iCloud password.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalguy

Propine

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
had same dilemma as many - 128gb pro or 256gb air 5 for about same price. i decided to go with the air to be on a safe side storage wise. two years later i am still satisfied with my choice except one thing - the air screen brightness is not high enough for me, watching dark movies in a well lit environment is uncomfortable. the pro has 600 nit screen vs 500 nit on air, so that might help. on the other side i could imagine that pro has an even worse than air battery life due to 120ghz screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.