Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quynhtrang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2018
My 2020 M1 3rd gen 11" iPad Pro's screen had to be replaced after impact damage. The screen wasn't working at all-only some lines. I took it a third party repair place that replaced it but on collection the screen was very dim. It was like 10-20% of the original brightness. I wasn't happy with it so they put my old screen back on.

Just wondering if this can happen with 3rd party screen replacement. Getting it fixed by Apple is not an option. Could the circuit board have been damaged?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Any number of things can happen with 3rd party screen replacement. There's zero quality control.

Could be circuit board - could just be a bad display ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Yeah, not much quality control with the 3rd parties unless it is a certified 3rd party that has been proven to deliver high quality repairs.
A lot of the times when it comes to Apple products it is best to go straight to a certified repair shop, the type that Apple/Network Providers/Retailers in your country may send devices to for repair on warranty.

quynhtrang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Thanks for this. I'm in Australia and Apple will charge $US600 ($US260 for third party) to replace the screen but I think would be rejected due to the moisture indicators that I suspect have been triggered. I'm so sad about this. At least I still have my unkillable Air 2 which has been dropped a few times.

I guess it's e-waste.

At least my MacBook Air M1 with smashed screen costs only $150 to have the screen replaced with an OEM one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.