Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I’ve always used screen protectors on my phones and iPad, but I feel like the reflections are so much worse using a screen protector on this one. Do most of you use one?

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
I’ve always used screen protectors on my phones and iPad, but I feel like the reflections are so much worse using a screen protector on this one. Do most of you use one?
me too,
i;ve been doing some research,
-tempered glass , causes glare, and also due to the thickness of tempered glass, apple pecil won't be so nice to use, the tip of the pencil is less accurate to the screen.
-matte type screen protector, reduces the screen quality, the image will be a bit blurry

i think best way is just using it it without any screen protector and buy applecare +

Reactions: Davidalan

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
one more type is power support AFP crystal film.
it's thin film type but glossy, still glare prone, but because it's thin ness it wont affect the performance of the apple pencil, but since it made from film , not glass, it's get scratch easily
I totally prefer the Power Support Crystal film for my iPad. It doesn’t have the paper like feel but I actually like it better. I haven’t noticed any scratches on it yet and the oleophobic coating is great. My 2nd and 3rd choices are the Elecom film protectors. They are both anti-glare and come in smooth and rough options for the paper feel preference. The Elecom shows what appear to be tiny surface scratches from using the Pencil but aren’t scratches as they wipe right off.

Power Support film protectors are pricey but so worth it in my opinion.

Reactions: leafpeeper

velo

Suspended
Dec 5, 2008
In the past but with Applecare+ now I don’t. For peace of mind I still prefer using one but got tired of the reflections, dealing with dust spots, air bubbles when applying, dodgy adhesive and potential damage if it cracks.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
I totally prefer the Power Support Crystal film for my iPad. It doesn’t have the paper like feel but I actually like it better. I haven’t noticed any scratches on it yet and the oleophobic coating is great. My 2nd and 3rd choices are the Elecom film protectors. They are both anti-glare and come in smooth and rough options for the paper feel preference. The Elecom shows what appear to be tiny surface scratches from using the Pencil but aren’t scratches as they wipe right off.

Power Support film protectors are pricey but so worth it in my opinion.
agree, but i wnt to try apple care + for my new m1 so first time going naked , finger crossed ?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Reflections - why I removed the glass screen protector from my 12.9 Pro and tossed it. The kicker was when I held an iPP without a protector over part of the display and could the huge difference. I found it really distracting when watching videos and could see my reflection in dark scenes and in the black bars above and below the videos.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
agree, but i wnt to try apple care + for my new m1 so first time going naked , finger crossed ?
That’s great. I’m pretty careful with my devices but every single time that I don’t put on a screen protector I get scratches. I use my pencil a lot and have experienced drag but thankfully had a protector on the iPad.

I can usually get a great installation but I do change the protectors frequently as I absolutely hate when the oleophobic coating starts to wear off and it becomes smudgeville. I love the silky feeling of a new protector.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Reflections - why I removed the glass screen protector from my 12.9 Pro and tossed it. The kicker was when I held an iPP without a protector over part of the display and could the huge difference. I found it really distracting when watching videos and could see my reflection in dark scenes and in the black bars above and below the videos.
You can see the huge difference because the one I got has the cut out around the front camera and it’s night and day difference

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.