Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Livvie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
Hi, I bought a new iPad Pro on Saturday with the white magic keyboard.

Love it - easy and soft typing and trackpad feel, and backlit keys.

But I have issue that there’s no function buttons. My previous iPad keyboard had shortcut buttons for home, escape, copy, paste, skip, pause, volume, and my favourite - brightness - & +. I think its bad how basic this £279 keyboard is.

When the light in the room is not too dark but dark enough for the backlight to come on, the white light makes it hard to read the characters on the white keys. (Don’t know why they didn’t use a different backlight colour?)

My question is, is there one out there which contains the function keys, lights up, and has a trackpad, and adjustable angle? (I.e. not a folio style).

I have found some on eBay but my issue is that none of them are hinged, but are a folio type case - so wont have the same angle adjustment and have a larger footprint. Otherwise they are perfect.

This one would be great as has the laptop style hinged opening, but is not compatible with iPad Pro:
2b81a92ba2b6f9cff601dc7361dfedb4.png

And this one would be perfect and even has pencil holder, but it is folio style and I worry about sturdiness, angle adjustability, and larger footprint for my lap:
9757693b31b69ff2921290eebc948cdc.jpg

Please read and help me. Thank you.

Livvie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
Honestly the main drawback for me is the lack of function/media buttons. I dont get why they couldn’t have put them in, or at least give us the option for a shortcut like maybe control -+ or something.

Livvie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
5bf6c23a6aa829f4a95f625801b94196.jpg

The magic keyboard lacks the top row of buttons which most other keyboards have

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
The magic keyboard lacks the top row of buttons which most other keyboards have
You responded below my suggestion about the Logitech Combo Touch, which has those features. Naturally I assumed you didn’t realize that. What are you thoughts about the Combo Touch?

Reactions: Retrostarscream

Livvie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
You responded below my suggestion about the Logitech Combo Touch, which has those features. Naturally I assumed you didn’t realize that. What are you thoughts about the Combo Touch?

Oh shoot yeah sorry. Looks really good tbf, although i dont think it would hold up on my lap or in bed. Great suggestion though, thanks

Reactions: 0128672

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
My only issues with the magic keyboard are:
When typing numbers, I tend to use my index fingers and my middle finger tends to brush against the screen, messing up whatever form I was typing in.

Also,

The mouse works great, until it doesn't. I thought it would emulate touch gestures, but many apps I try do not recognize it as well as some websites - MR is one of them - as the toolbar above this edit window simply does not work with it, but touch does. SplashTop has the same issue. Trackpad is useless for it.

Reactions: Livvie

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I feel it’s wiser to go with known companies whose products have been used and tested by MR members, especially when paying greater than $100 for a case. You have a better idea about what you’re getting, and how the company handles support, returns and warranties.

I avoid companies that aren’t professional enough to proofread their product descriptions, like the company mentioned above: “Without a doubt, the best looking iPad case ever to seen …” 😏

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Livvie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
Have you seen this?

That’s exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for! Tempted to order one and send back the mkb if its good enough. Although I don’t know ill prob just want to keep both

I avoid companies that aren’t professional enough to proofread their product descriptions, like the company mentioned above: “Without a doubt, the best looking iPad case ever to seen …”

I feel like it might actually be a Chinese company hence the poor English? Just seems like its been translated.

Livvie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
Have you seen this?
Hey guys an update…
So I bought one the same as one on the website posted above… but got it cheaper on amazon. Arrived today/yesterday (it’s midnight here lol).
276a571d68c2d6b1385193df6ebbc68c.jpg

Gotta say its good so far.

- The typing feels nice - not quite as soft and flat as the MKB but better than my previous non branded one.
- The multicoloured backlights are pretty awesome and fun. - You can adjust the colour, brightness, off or on, or breathing mode where the light pulses and changes colour at an adjustable rate.
- Function keys yaaaaayyyyy!!!
- The trackpad is not as smooth as the apple one - it’s a bit jerky when scrolling, but of course it didn’t cost £280 ha
- Because it’s Bluetooth and turns off when idle it can have a second or so delay as it wakes up after pressing a key. Had this with my previous bt off-brand keyboard, dunno if common with all bt keyboards?

SO, I don’t think I’ll be returning my magic keyboard but its going to be hard to choose which one to use. I was thinking the ‘cheap’ one for college and work in case it gets marked/scuffed up etc. although i have apple care on the MKB so maybe that should be the one i use out and about more?? What would you do?

To sum up, I think if i had bought this one before the MKB i dont think i would have bought the MKB, especially since I’ve never had an apple brand keyboard and this one is so similar to my old one I’m used to. But, since I’ve been using the MKB for the past week, i think I’ve gotten too used to the luxury feel of the apple product (because lets be honest, it may be expensive but it certainly feels superior in tactile and user experience) and am now reluctant to consider a return.

Thanks a LOT guys’ll, you’ve been greatly

• Love
Reactions: Retrostarscream

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
This has just been released

A known company
Does this have a functions keys?

Will a regular bluetooth apple keyboard have function keys?

Asking for a friend who needs to use f2 keys for work and has an apple Genius Bar appointment lol to figure out this issue. Figure I'd beat Apple Genius Bar with the macrumors hive mind.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I have the Magic Keyboard attached to my 11" iPad Pro and have become used to it despite the weight and bulk.

It was (and is) expensive but it is terrific, I appreciate how I can plug in the USB from either side now, and the keyboard is very comfortable to use.

I'm sure there are plenty of other good choices as well. I didn't really shop around, had tried this keyboard in the Apple Store when we first tried out the Pro and Air, and when I finally made the decision to purchase the Pro then I decided to get the 'whole package' (including Pencil).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.