Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John__wick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2023
I picked up this iPad Pro about two weeks ago. And today while I was writing in Goodnotes I realised that there was a 'rippling' effect that was happening in the bottom centre of the screen (portrait mode with Face ID module facing up, slightly above and to the left of charging port). It didn't require much pressure to see the issue happening, I just write how I would normally write on a piece of paper, and just to let you guys know, I am not a heavy writer by any means. In fact, the same issue can be replicated just by applying pressure with your fingers, it does require a bit of pressure (about the same amount of pressure you'd press for a 3D Touch on some older iPhones), but definitely not anything excessive. What worries me is that this does not happen anywhere else on the screen except that one spot, and I'm not even pressing on the spot, it's around the region. I do have a glass screen protector on. I have attached a video demonstrating the issue, the first half is the issue with just pressing and the second half is me writing.Please let me know if this is a hardware defect, and is this happening to any of you guys?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Go into a store that sells iPads and see if it happens on theirs, but the fact that it only happens in one spot means it is a defect. You're going to have to remove the screen protector to prove to apple that the issue is with the screen itself.

Last edited:

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I picked up this iPad Pro about two weeks ago. And today while I was writing in Goodnotes I realised that there was a 'rippling' effect that was happening in the bottom centre of the screen (portrait mode with Face ID module facing up, slightly above and to the left of charging port). It didn't require much pressure to see the issue happening, I just write how I would normally write on a piece of paper, and just to let you guys know, I am not a heavy writer by any means. In fact, the same issue can be replicated just by applying pressure with your fingers, it does require a bit of pressure (about the same amount of pressure you'd press for a 3D Touch on some older iPhones), but definitely not anything excessive. What worries me is that this does not happen anywhere else on the screen except that one spot, and I'm not even pressing on the spot, it's around the region. I do have a glass screen protector on. I have attached a video demonstrating the issue, the first half is the issue with just pressing and the second half is me writing.Please let me know if this is a hardware defect, and is this happening to any of you guys?
I saw your post on Reddit as well. Someone says it happens on 2018 model as well, but I disagree. I have an M1 iPad pro 11 inch AND 12.9 and I couldn’t replicate what is shown in your video. I applied more pressure than what you did with the Apple Pencil and my fingers on both my M1 iPads and could NOT duplicate that ripple. I have screen protectors on both but I doubt that would factor in considering the amount of pressure I applied. I WOULD have it checked out at the LEAST. Expensive gadgets, ya know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.