Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Over the last few days my iOS has started freezing and restarting about once a day. First time the screen froze on and after a random amount of time it rebooted.

No button combinations would let me unfreeze the screen and power it off manually.

Today, I pushed the main button to put the screen to sleep but when I went back to turn it on, it was powered off. It wouldn’t immediately power on so I had to wait again.

Anything I could check before I go to apple? Part of me knows they’re going to say I should just erase and set it up as a new iPad to see if that fixes it. Which frankly is a pain in the proverbial for a machine which is under a month old.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It might as well be done at home for the convenience of it, to be honest. Make sure you have a backup and then set it up as new without restoring right away.

But if the machine randomly freezes I’m not sure what else you could try. Try to eliminate external factors. Do you have devices connected to the iPad via USB-C? Case attached?

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
It is very random unfortunately - doesn’t seem to make a difference if its plugged-in; has the keyboard attached; devices attached; or what I’m doing at the time. I’ll do a reset and see what happens, then restore the backup if it’s stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.