Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cerberus1846

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
iPad Pro 12.9 4th Gen Screen Replacement:

Thought you guys would appreciate this! - I just recently picked up an iPad Pro 12.9 4th Get (2020) from eBay for a BARGAIN £215 as it had a cracked screen... to be fair it was pretty badly cracked!!.. I then managed to bag myself a brand new replacement screen and installed this a couple of weeks ago (along with a screen protector!) - I've fully tested it now and all functions work as expected - Face ID, cameras, wifi, bluetooth etc! - I use it in sidecar and universal control (depending on what I'm doing) with my 27" iMac - which gives me a little more real estate when working from home.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

appleshopify

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2022
Nice, is the new screen original? LCD or OLED? How much did it cost? I am aware that apple replacement can be pricy sometimes. Was the process difficult?

cerberus1846

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2021
Nice, is the new screen original? LCD or OLED? How much did it cost? I am aware that apple replacement can be pricy sometimes. Was the process difficult?

The screen is OEM/OEM quality - it was £150 (but I paid £135 as I had a discount). In terms of difficulty, I guess it's all relative. The hardest part is removing the old screen (especially when it's split and cracked like my one) - I used clear Gorilla tape to bind it all down and to try and prevent splintering. I then used a heat gun and started at a corner and worked one side at a time with a thin plastic card, isopropyl alcohol and picks. Once the screen was free of the body - you need to lift it up slightly and move it to the side at an angle to access the two wiring harnesses that need to be removed - you can then remove the screen from the iPad. You then remove the Face ID harness from the old screen (you need heat and alcohol again for this) and need to be very careful. You then transfer the Face ID harness onto the new screen and glue it in place. Fitting the new screen is then pretty much a reveal of these steps.

For info - the 4th Gen iPad Pro Screen is EXACTLY the same as the 3rd Gen iPad Pro screen - so fitting is exactly the same.. there are a few good YouTube videos covering this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.