Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Anyone else noticing their battery draining a lot quicker while using the magic keyboard?

Full charge this morning, 35-40% brightness, backlit keyboard is turned off.

61% battery remaining 2h56m usage 🥺

1D2B31EF-6691-4436-BA35-B1914D9F5405.jpeg

Reactions: Neonblue

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
Not really noticing it although i have had the keybord from the get go, i have the keyboard brightness set at about 25%, the screen is that bright lights it up anyway.
Tell me this does your iPad get warm on the back apple logo when using this forum for awhile, happens to mine but only while on here ?‍♂️

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Not really noticing it although i have had the keybord from the get go, i have the keyboard brightness set at about 25%, the screen is that bright lights it up anyway.
Tell me this does your iPad get warm on the back apple logo when using this forum for awhile, happens to mine but only while on here ?‍♂️

I‘ve got my backlit keyboard turned off, agree on the screen brightness it’s amazing at even low brightness.

I’ve had mine in the folio case and now the magic keyboard, can’t give you a honest answer since it’s been in a case most of the time, my 12 pro max was getting warm when using the forum.

Down to 50% for 3h50m usage ?‍♂️ Battery is draining very quick, love everything about the keyboard, but not sure if i can put up with this battery drain, i‘ll test it out for a week, if it stays like this, might have to return it. ?

What battery life have you been getting while using the magic keyboard?

FBFF2E17-FDCC-4E25-8F32-EF7D3AB15A5F.jpeg

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
What battery life have you been getting while using the magic keyboard?
To be honest having really tested it, when on my desk it’s plugged in all the time, and haven’t had it off long enough to know, it is what it is i need it, can’t return it anyway bought from JB lol.
I read on here somewhere someone did and didn’t really make much difference, if i can find it i will show you.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
To be honest having really tested it, when on my desk it’s plugged in all the time, and haven’t had it off long enough to know, it is what it is i need it, can’t return it anyway bought from JB lol.
I read on here somewhere someone did and didn’t really make much difference, if i can find it i will show you.
Draining really quickly now, 42% for 5h3m usage. ? i‘ve lost 18% in 1h25m

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Think you might be right about this forum, realising my battery is draining faster on here than other websites.

other people have noticed some funky stuff going on here as well, hopefully the support team or mods can look into it.

Also the safari loading animation wheel seems to stay around more often on this site.

Just lost another 4% typing this post.

265FC720-ED3E-4D3F-AA8E-15316BBD6D35.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Retrostarscream

Surfman

Suspended
May 24, 2021
Think you might be right about this forum, realising my battery is draining faster on here than other websites.

other people have noticed some funky stuff going on here as well, hopefully the support team or mods can look into it.

Also the safari loading animation wheel seems to stay around more often on this site.

Just lost another 4% typing this post.

View attachment 1786190

Yes have noticed that with the safari wheel, as soon as you start browsing here the apple logo gets warm.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Yes have noticed that with the safari wheel, as soon as you start browsing here the apple logo gets warm.

Could be something ? or maybe nothing, will do some testing tomorrow, will browse this awesome forum on my phone and will use my iPad without browsing these forums for a bit and see how battery life ends up.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Took iPad off the charger at 100% battery dropped 2% in the first 6 minutes ? so far I'm at 88% for 1h11m usage, seems to go down hill pretty quickly after the first hour, I'll keep a eye on it through out the day.

Also realised when you come back to use your iPad after a few hours, as soon as you open the magic keyboard case and start using your iPad, battery life will drop by 2% instantly.

Finished yesterday with 5h30m usage, used 80% battery, not impressed so far with the battery drain, if it stays like this, I'll be sending the magic keyboard back to apple. ?

Can't fault anything else with this keyboard, great to use, but for $500 it shouldn't drain your iPad battery like this.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Looks like you were right, my battery drainage on my iPad is due to these forums and not my magic keyboard.

Yesterday at 50% battery I had 3h50m usage, haven’t browsed these forums on my iPad today, currently at 60% battery for 3h50m usage, so I’ve got 10% extra battery life with the same usage as yesterday.

Good to see one of the support staff is looking into the battery drainage on these forums.

Reactions: Surfman

MrEcted

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
I can’t quite tell if the battery is draining extra fast because of the keyboard or if it’s the 12.9 in general. Even when I don’t have it on the MK it still seems to be draining quite fast, especially compared to the 11.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
I can’t quite tell if the battery is draining extra fast because of the keyboard or if it’s the 12.9 in general. Even when I don’t have it on the MK it still seems to be draining quite fast, especially compared to the 11.
I've realised if you're typing a lot on the magic keyboard, the battery tends to drain faster.

Reactions: MrEcted

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I noticed my battery was draining very fast when I had mine, but I didn’t have it long enough to see what the problem was. The 2018/2020 iPP didn’t do this, but the 2021 drains fast. I thought I could use my 2m cable I bought to plug in the iPP through the Magic Keyboard and keep it at 100% charge all the time like I did with my Air 4, but that didn’t happen. Just kept draining even when plugged into a power source.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
This website drains too much of battery. I guess things issue is not the iPhone/iPad battery but this website.
Yep, it’s the ads on the website, they’re working on a fix, until they fix the issue, download Mozilla Firefox focus from the App Store, it’s a safari content blocker, blocks ads, awesome app. Enable the feature in safari settings content blockers, turn on Firefox focus.

Then use safari on here without any battery drain or heat 😃👌

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
I noticed my battery was draining very fast when I had mine, but I didn’t have it long enough to see what the problem was. The 2018/2020 iPP didn’t do this, but the 2021 drains fast. I thought I could use my 2m cable I bought to plug in the iPP through the Magic Keyboard and keep it at 100% charge all the time like I did with my Air 4, but that didn’t happen. Just kept draining even when plugged into a power source.
Battery drain is more to do with this site than the keyboard, here’s a fix. 👌😃

Post 36 👇

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well I noticed if I turned off my cellular service, and just used Wifi, the battery life improved. I have no way of knowing for sure, but my 2018 iPP 12.9" with cellular on all of the time seemed to have less battery drain, than my 2021 12.9". I don't have 5G in my area/state yet. I'm wondering if the 5G capability drains more power, even just using LTE?

Golden373

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2021
I have a 2020/21 ipad pro 11" with a magic keyboard and have significantly faster battery drain when the keyboard is attached. So much so that I thought there was something wrong with the ipad pro. Taking off the keyboard and using the folio cover gives me battery life much closer to my expectations.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Anyone find A fix for this. I have a 12.9 pro with the case and i charged to 100% few days ago, unplugged but never used it and came on it tonight to find it completely dead without even being used.. very dissapointing

Reactions: jazz1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.