Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtcameron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
Cheltenham
Hello all,

Really need some of your advice again!

So I've recently changed job/school where I plan to be using my iPad a lot more than before. I've had my 2015 12.9" iPad Pro now for 4 years and it has barely been used. I bought it used in nearly new condition. I have also just irrationally bought myself the 2022 10.9" iPad Air in Blue. Sounds sad but I like the design better and thought it would be easier to hold.

I'm a teacher so it will mainly be used to AirPlay PowerPoints on the board, draw on it too with my pencil and sometimes use it to read music from or for GarageBand. All my files will be saved to OneDrive.

My question is, which one do I keep? I haven't opened to Air yet as part of me thinks I'm being silly but is now a good time to upgrade and move on? The 2015 Pro also has a white spot on the screen which I believe is a common fault with that model.

Any thoughts is appreciated! Need to decide soon ahhhh...

Thanks,
Jam

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I had the 2015 since 2015, bought for $1000 back then.... was pretty good and instead of selling it, in January 2021 I had the battery service (they replace the entire tablet). Mine had never had the white spot in 6 years, but the replacement unit started developing one in 2022. So I decided to sell it before it was too visible (sold it for $400 with the smart keyboard). The white spot was common on 2017 models, much less on 2015 ones, but apparently replacement units have the issue more often.
I don't know why you would keep a 2015 device, which is much slower and has a white spot when you have a much more capable device.
If you want the bigger size (that's my preference, but most people probably prefer the smaller size), get a 12.9 (even a 2018 one is much better than the 2015), otherwise just sell the 2015 and keep your air 5.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yeah, I think you will enjoy the Air, too, especially if your 12.9-inch 1st gen iPad Pro has a white spot. I’d keep the Air.

For whatever it’s worth, I upgraded from the 9.7-inch iPad Pro (1st gen, yours’ little brother, which I still have and runs flawlessly, even if battery life isn’t good after Apple forced it to iOS 12) to the Air 5 and I absolutely love it.

Reactions: jtcameron
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.