Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Hello guys,

I need your help to see if I can do the following: I want to connect my iPad Pro to my MacBook Pro via USB-C to send audio from the iPad to the Mac. Is there any way of doing this? In theory USB-C is capable on sending audio, but I don't seem to find the way to send it to the Mac by connecting them together.
When I connect them, the iPad keeps sounding and the Mac only seems to be charging the iPad...

Im a music student and basically I have to use the console app (Universal Audio) so that I can play/record guitars and use headphones. There are a few apps that I use daily to practice (iReal, Harmonomics, Metronomics) and making this work would save me good money, so that I don't have to buy apps twice.

Thanks!!

PS: not sure if this belong to the iPad forum of the macbook forum...

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The iPad doesn’t necessarily work that way. Each app holds its own data/files, you don’t have the file system available for copy/paste access and apart from photos and videos the iPad doesn’t function as an external storage device.

Many apps though use airdrop to share files. If that doesn’t work, check what the developers of your apps recommend for cross-platform work.

Best success!

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
The iPad doesn’t necessarily work that way. Each app holds its own data/files, you don’t have the file system available for copy/paste access and apart from photos and videos the iPad doesn’t function as an external storage device.

Many apps though use airdrop to share files. If that doesn’t work, check what the developers of your apps recommend for cross-platform work.

Best success!

Thanks for the answer!

What I mean is that I want to stream the audio from the iPad to the Mac. Imagine, I want to play over the audio that I have on my music apps in the iPad but I want to hear it through the Macbook. This is what I mean!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.