Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
So let me preface this by saying I am a first time Apple Product buyer. I have worked on and owned older Apple products (tech guru) but never actually bought a NEW APPLE PRODUCT until now.

On December 27th I bought the new iPad Pro 11" 256GB LTE model from AT&T (my first mistake)! AT&T took it out of the box and immediately put it into the Type-Cover so I didn't immediately notice the bend. In fact I didn't notice the bend until the 29th.

What I did immediately notice was there where numerous software issues that while working with Chat Support resulted in me having to Erase all Content and Settings multiple times to finally resolve. Then the real problems started. While working with Chat support they had me remove the device from the keyboard case and that is when I first noticed the bend.

Initially the bend was rather minor, but I noticed that when they iPad was under heavy load it would get worse, a lot worse. In mine it was bending from around the middle of the Pencil connector diagonally to the USB-C connector with the corner of the screen bending forward (towards you as you are looking at it) but when it cooled off it would return to a more or less normal shape. (To be honest the bend virtually disappears when iPad is at normal temps).

Well that sounds like good news right? Wrong!

Because the extreme bending when under load it has caused a few hardware issues to arise (already). When I first power on the device with it in the keyboard case sitting in a fixed position I have 4 bars of LTE. Within 30 seconds that drops to 3 bars. Within about a minute that drops to 2 bars and in about 5 minutes that drops to 1 bar and Speedtest of 0.15mb/s if the Speedtest will even run. A reboot and it works perfectly again for a few minutes.

But this isn't just limited to LTE. I have noticed WiFi doing the same thing but less extreme. When I first boot up and connect to a strong WiFi it will be blazing fast for about 5 minutes then slowly start dropping in speed over a half hour or so before it just outright is unusable and has to be restarted.

One additional note I have now noticed. When I lose LTE or WiFi if I move the device (indoors) and return it to it's original location I lose LTE altogether and drop to 4G. If I move the device (outdoors) and return to it's original location I gain LTE signal back but it drops even faster than it does under a reboot.

I have, so far, spent 3 hours with Chat Support (3 different sessions), 5 visits to the local Apple Store, 3 hours on with Phone Support (talked to 3 different people) and was finally told by Phone Support 2 days ago that my local Apple Store would replace it for free. However, they claimed "they didn't have any in stock" and said they would "order one" and it would be here on January 2nd or 3rd.

Now here is where things get really interested! Yesterday (January 2nd) I went to the Apple Store (Woodfield Mall - Schaumburg, IL) and waited near the store until I saw the Fedex delivery of new iPads enter the store. A few minutes later I went and checked in and was told to wait. After about 10 minutes someone came and told me that my iPad hadn't come in yet but to they just received a shipment and it might be in there so hang out in the mall for a few hours. So I did, with most of the time I was hanging out being in the Apple Store.

Now I should note that on December 31st this store told me NO APPLE STORES IN THE AREA HAVE ANY IPAD PRO'S RIGHT NOW. They again told me on January 2nd they had no ipad pro's when I checked to see if mine had come in.

So as I am "hanging out" waiting to see if mine was in the shipment I watched a brand new ipad pro 11" 256gb (same as mine) be brought out and sold to an elderly lady that was sitting (literally) 2 foot from me. I got so freaking mad I just got up and left the store and mall. I was thinking, okay they will call me soon and tell me mine has arrived....NOPE....that call never came.

So today I am going back to the store, will be there when it opens, and finding a manager and raising hell until they not only replace my ipad but give me something extra for the lies, headache and ******** they have put me through!

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I understand your fustration but they have specifically ordered you one. And it’s probably not a brand new one in box.

When I preordered my iPhone they were selling phones left and right to people but not mine even though I was there and they had plenty of boxes on the shelf. I had to wait until the UPS driver delivered my exact one that was ordered.

Anyhow ****** situation. Hope you get it resolved.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
So let me preface this by saying I am a first time Apple Product buyer. I have worked on and owned older Apple products (tech guru) but never actually bought a NEW APPLE PRODUCT until now.

On December 27th I bought the new iPad Pro 11" 256GB LTE model from AT&T (my first mistake)! AT&T took it out of the box and immediately put it into the Type-Cover so I didn't immediately notice the bend. In fact I didn't notice the bend until the 29th.

What I did immediately notice was there where numerous software issues that while working with Chat Support resulted in me having to Erase all Content and Settings multiple times to finally resolve. Then the real problems started. While working with Chat support they had me remove the device from the keyboard case and that is when I first noticed the bend.

Initially the bend was rather minor, but I noticed that when they iPad was under heavy load it would get worse, a lot worse. In mine it was bending from around the middle of the Pencil connector diagonally to the USB-C connector with the corner of the screen bending forward (towards you as you are looking at it) but when it cooled off it would return to a more or less normal shape. (To be honest the bend virtually disappears when iPad is at normal temps).

Well that sounds like good news right? Wrong!

Because the extreme bending when under load it has caused a few hardware issues to arise (already). When I first power on the device with it in the keyboard case sitting in a fixed position I have 4 bars of LTE. Within 30 seconds that drops to 3 bars. Within about a minute that drops to 2 bars and in about 5 minutes that drops to 1 bar and Speedtest of 0.15mb/s if the Speedtest will even run. A reboot and it works perfectly again for a few minutes.

But this isn't just limited to LTE. I have noticed WiFi doing the same thing but less extreme. When I first boot up and connect to a strong WiFi it will be blazing fast for about 5 minutes then slowly start dropping in speed over a half hour or so before it just outright is unusable and has to be restarted.

One additional note I have now noticed. When I lose LTE or WiFi if I move the device (indoors) and return it to it's original location I lose LTE altogether and drop to 4G. If I move the device (outdoors) and return to it's original location I gain LTE signal back but it drops even faster than it does under a reboot.

I have, so far, spent 3 hours with Chat Support (3 different sessions), 5 visits to the local Apple Store, 3 hours on with Phone Support (talked to 3 different people) and was finally told by Phone Support 2 days ago that my local Apple Store would replace it for free. However, they claimed "they didn't have any in stock" and said they would "order one" and it would be here on January 2nd or 3rd.

Now here is where things get really interested! Yesterday (January 2nd) I went to the Apple Store (Woodfield Mall - Schaumburg, IL) and waited near the store until I saw the Fedex delivery of new iPads enter the store. A few minutes later I went and checked in and was told to wait. After about 10 minutes someone came and told me that my iPad hadn't come in yet but to they just received a shipment and it might be in there so hang out in the mall for a few hours. So I did, with most of the time I was hanging out being in the Apple Store.

Now I should note that on December 31st this store told me NO APPLE STORES IN THE AREA HAVE ANY IPAD PRO'S RIGHT NOW. They again told me on January 2nd they had no ipad pro's when I checked to see if mine had come in.

So as I am "hanging out" waiting to see if mine was in the shipment I watched a brand new ipad pro 11" 256gb (same as mine) be brought out and sold to an elderly lady that was sitting (literally) 2 foot from me. I got so freaking mad I just got up and left the store and mall. I was thinking, okay they will call me soon and tell me mine has arrived....NOPE....that call never came.

So today I am going back to the store, will be there when it opens, and finding a manager and raising hell until they not only replace my ipad but give me something extra for the lies, headache and ******** they have put me through!
Could you post a video about this "extreme bending" under heavy load. Curious to see how it looks like.:eek:

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
Could you post a video about this "extreme bending" under heavy load. Curious to see how it looks like.:eek:

I do not have the capabilities to film such a video or trust me one would already be up on Youtube.

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
qWjBkThYPTR2REJj9
Like an idiot I didn't take a picture when it was bent really bad....it is almost normal right now as I haven't been doing any "heavy use" due to the LTE/WiFi issues that have arisen.

I tried taking a picture of the bend (minor at the moment due to not being able to use it) and even though I can see it with my eyes getting a pic to show it isn't as easy....here are the ones I took though!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qWjBkThYPTR2REJj9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jUs9pYPJzFAah1Ww6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yhpQmHjLCvrF5Zr1A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1LsziCdoHetVCkfv9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/x5RReMaWBJY2yL7BA

Last edited:

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I understand your fustration but they have specifically ordered you one. And it’s probably not a brand new one in box.

When I preordered my iPhone they were selling phones left and right to people but not mine even though I was there and they had plenty of boxes on the shelf. I had to wait until the UPS driver delivered my exact one that was ordered.

Anyhow ****** situation. Hope you get it resolved.
It probably will be a new 11" IPP as it's a new device and it does have LTE, that's not a common configuration. And if Apple is smart they aren't repackaging defective iPad's with a notable bend now that word is out about the bend.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I generally give people the benefit of the doubt on things like this... but "Horny Trucker" who is a self-described "tech guru", knowing that this type of thing (iPad Pro bending) is an issue...didn't take any photos/videos? I'm not saying that the OP is being dishonest, but I think it is reasonable to have a bit of doubt.

Video would've put any doubt to rest. I'm finding it a bit difficult to picture an iPad Pro heating up under load enough to cause any expansion of the internals to cause temporary warping.

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
I generally give people the benefit of the doubt on things like this... but "Horny Trucker" who is a self-described "tech guru", knowing that this type of thing (iPad Pro bending) is an issue...didn't take any photos/videos? I'm not saying that the OP is being dishonest, but I think it is reasonable to have a bit of doubt.

Video would've put any doubt to rest. I'm finding it a bit difficult to picture an iPad Pro heating up under load enough to cause any expansion of the internals to cause temporary warping.

In all honesty I owned a computer repair business for nearly 20 years.....but for the last 15 years I have been a truck driver and even though I am a geek and own a metric ton of tech gadgets I no longer "think like a geek" most of the time....it never occured to me to shoot video when it was really really bent.

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
I took photos of mine.

190102-iPad.jpg
Dayum that is hella bent....basically what mine looked like under heavy load but right now looks almost normal!

I am actually running a benchmark on mine right now trying to get it to bend again!

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I'm not a Metallurgists but I would imagine the iPad Pro would have to get very hot in order to bend under load. I've been working with computer since the late 1970s with a certification in Computer Repairs and I have never seen a computer's cpu/gpu get that hot. While I have been out of the loop hardware wise for the last 10 years from what I have read and seen modern CPUs will cycle down or even shut itself down if they get too hot. I imagine it's the same iPad and has the same failsafe. I have been in digital photography for awhile now and some of the Sony have had heating problems, but they would shutdown when they got to hot. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that you're lying, but there has to be some other underlying problem with your iPad other than bending under load.

Reactions: RevTEG

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
I'm not a Metallurgists but I would imagine the iPad Pro would have to get very hot in order to bend under load. I've been working with computer since the late 1970s with a certification in Computer Repairs and I have never seen a computer's cpu/gpu get that hot. While I have been out of the loop hardware wise for the last 10 years from what I have read and seen modern CPUs will cycle down or even shut itself down if they get too hot. I imagine it's the same iPad is the same failsafe. I have been in digital photography for awhile now and some of the Sony have heating problems, but they would shutdown in when they got to hot. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that you're lying, but there has to be some other underlying problem with your iPad other than bending under load.

I have never understood why people say "I am not saying that you're lying" when that is exactly what you are saying.

Now for my response - The new ipad pro is ridiculously thing with an aluminum frame that is only like 1 cm wide and a about 2 mm thick. It doesn't take much heat to affect something that thin. Now with that said there is a back and a screen on either side of that really thin frame that does strengthen it some but not enough apparently.

Now for something weird!

I ran multiple different benchmarks and now when I lay it screen down on a table it is perfectly flat (for the first time since I bought it on December 27th. Apparently the heat/stress has made it bend back the other way and straighten out now. Very freaking weird.

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
Pic before multiple Benchmarks showing slight bend in the corner closest to me!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SewSTEkNZcVZdvfZA

Pic after multiple Benchmarks with no bend left!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NpaijaRohiJsNJKYA
[doublepost=1546519528][/doublepost]Oh and I shot this Panorama yesterday while waiting for my replacement (that I haven't got yet) in the Apple Store @ Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jUisWwZAvbLepJy96
[doublepost=1546520484][/doublepost]Just ran even more benchmarks and guess what - it bent again and even worse that I expected!

Attachments

• 20190103_065422_HDR.jpg
    20190103_065422_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 737

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
I think you are the first person to say their device bends when under heavy load and goes back to normal afterward. That seems... hard to believe to be honest.

Well the pictures above do not lie....It was bent, ran benchmarks and it straightened out then ran more benchmarks and it bent again (the opposite direction).

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
It would’ve been helpful to have the bent iPad lying on something flat (e.g. table) for the photo, to allow for better recognition of the bend. Shooting the slim side with the iPad standing on a side makes it difficult (at least for me) to really recognize the proportions.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I’ve had an iPad Pro for 5-6 weeks? When I got it, I was so freaking scared about it bending that I didn’t use it until I got a case for it. Now, several weeks later, I just use it. Is it bent? No; and although it got slightly warm when playing Civilization 6 for 5 hours - no bending. Didn’t bother hooking it up to a micrometer (what’s the point?).

Worst thing that happened was my Golden Lab started licking it because of cat wallpaper (sitting on coffee table).

OP; if your iPad really bends (and I honest;y can’t see it in any of your photo’s) under heavy load, it’s not going to magically stop - so it would be simple for you to demonstrate this to any product manager, no?.

Tom

HrnyTrckr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2019
Well all you haters that thought I was lying or delusional are wrong! The Apple Store in Woodfield Mall (Schaumburg, IL) replaced it today due to the bending and the LTE/WiFi issues. The new one they gave me was getting 100mb/s on LTE in the store where as my old one got maybe 15mb/s in their store after a reboot.

Sadly the new one doesn't work at all on LTE in my motel where as the old one did! WTH am I cursed?

Oh and this screen capture of the email they sent after they replaced it clearly states the old one was "slightly bent". They never even tested the LTE/WiFi in store.
[doublepost=1546546971][/doublepost]So apparently the Replacement iPad Pro that I got from Apple Store this morning has been reported STOLEN to AT&T and is BLOCKED on the AT&T Network.....you have got to be freaking kidding me! On 3 way with AT&T Support and Apple Support right now trying to fix this crap!
[doublepost=1546548141][/doublepost]

AT&T's Insurance Department Black Listed the wrong device (typed in the IMEI of a stolen iPad incorrectly) and blocked my ipad by mistake....all is fixed now thanks to the help of Apple Support helping figure it out!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.