Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
Bought my 2018 iPad Pro last Nov. to continue producing music with all the fantastic iOS apps available.
The problem was finding compatible interfaces, specifically audio interfaces.
The stock Apple USB-A to USB-C adapters (cam kit, etc..) do not work with most of the audio devices/interfaces that were on the market.

Example: I bought a Shure MV51 mic (USB-A) last week on sale only to find it was not compatible with the iPad Pro via a A-C adapter because the adapter does not pass the audio signal both directions. This is a problem b/c the way you monitor your input audio is via a headphone jack on the body of the mic.
(Of course Shure does not offer this info anywhere on their site.)

A couple of Mac focused hw/sw makers, like Apogee, released updated hardware with USB-C compatibility but also made it clear that most of their products would not work with USB-C.
So you could upgrade from the Jam96k guitar input converter to the JamPlus to be able to record guitar directly w/o any USB dongle.

TL;DR
do you know of any audio interfaces/hardware that are fully compatible with the 2018 iPad Pro?
If so, please share!
Thank you.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Is a dongle out of the question? I just use the iRig HD2 with a USB-A to USB-C dongle or my hub, works great.

You could also just buy a micro-USB to USB-C cable and use no dongle for the iRig...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.