Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pantet88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2021
We bought an iPad Pro 2020 (11") a few months back. At first, it constantly killed off our Wi-fi and we had to restart our router (TP Link TD-W9980). I turned off all the automatic uploads to iCloud and background app refresh. It was stable for some time, but now if I watch youtube on it for too long and someone else is also on the internet, the Wi-Fi dies again and we have to restart the router. As far as we can tell, I can watch a movie on my (Windows) computer and my (Android) phone and others do the same with their computer and phones. Its only when I watched a video on the iPad that it breaks down.

This is our first Apple product in the house, and other then this one issue, the iPad has been wonderful.

As there any ideas on how I can fix this?
Would using an ethernet connection with my iPad solve this, or would it still kill our home network in some way?

Thank you very much for any help!

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
As there any ideas on how I can fix this?
Open Settings on your iPad. Select your network in the Wi-Fi settings. Open the Info about your network by tapping the blue circled “i“ on the right to the name. Deselect “Private Address”. Click on “Renew Lease”. Close settings.

ckoerner

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Open Settings on your iPad. Select your network in the Wi-Fi settings. Open the Info about your network by tapping the blue circled “i“ on the right to the name. Deselect “Private Address”. Click on “Renew Lease”. Close settings.
Could you clarify why this would help?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I would encourage getting a new wifi router. The advances in signal strength and ability to handle multiple signals at once alone will be worth the investment, not to mention security advances...

My household has a lot of apple devices. I had an 8 year old router that died out when 3 people in my house were actively consuming content on their devices. Switched to a high end Linksys and couldn't be happier - My wife can be on a zoom call watching YouTube, I can be streaming 60mbps Shadow Cloud instances, and my mother in law can be watching YouTube while talking to her friends on video chat with no problems.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.