Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

says_stuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
I know i won’t be getting external monitor resolution support for the non m1/m2 ipad pro i have, but why would my ipad pro 11, not at least try to fit the most of my new 24 inch monitor 1080p monitor? I would understand black bars on the sides due to ratio differences, but i get bars on the top and the bottom too. The ipad surely has a larger resolution than my external screen.. Has this always been an issue or is this a ios 16.1 thing? Hoping this is a setting i could just change, or maybe it’s my external dock connection to hdmi causing it?

I thought at least apps like procreate would go full-ef screen on an external monitor, but nope, it just won’t.

Thank you for any help.

says_stuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Could somebody tell me
What is the expected behavior of an ipad pro non-m1 when connected to an external screen in regards to fitting the screen?

I am only trying to figure out if its a setting or a dock i need to change.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Could somebody tell me
What is the expected behavior of an ipad pro non-m1 when connected to an external screen in regards to fitting the screen?

I am only trying to figure out if its a setting or a dock i need to change.
I'm not sure what are you hoping to achieve because pillar box as seen below is the expected behavior.

postage-stamp1.jpg

And you mention you are getting 4:3 with bars on top and bottom, that could be an issue with a certain setting on your monitor. Because normally pillar box is what shows when connected to an external monitor.

says_stuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
I am getting the third look from what you are showing from my monitor, while i thought i would get the second one, at least using the most screen estate as possible. I tried every option on my monitor so i hoped that maybe it had something to do with a setting on my ipad or the dock itself. Thank you so much for answering though.

says_stuff

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
yeap, that was it! a displayport adapter and a cable did the trick. So reporting about this, hdmi wouldnt work for a fuller screen but displayport did. Only have black bars on the sides now.

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
I can also confirm using DP enabled my iPad Pro 2022 (M2) to work with my 3840x1080 (32:9) monitor properly. Previously using HDMI would max out at 21:9.

My new problem though is my Macbook Pro 14" refuses to work in clamshell mode when the monitor is connected by DP to the dock. It needs the HDMI cable plugged in (which if it's plugged in, will cause the iPad to go back to 21:9).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.