Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Hello there!

I wanted to get some opinions…

I am considering an iPad Pro 11 3rd generation new/open box from someone who is willing to sell for $400.

I think that’s a pretty good deal.

Biggest difference I can tell with the gen 4 is Apple Pencil hover and M2 processor.

OR I can get a gen 4 new for 600 from Best Buy…. No tax on either.

Is the M2 and pencil hover worth $200???

Also. I have an 11 inch iPad Pro gen 1 I can sell or give to my parents.

Big reason I am looking to upgrade is the battery drain has lead to a pretty good slow down of functionality.

I do use it professionally most week days, and I use it for filming away basketball games for my team.

I don’t think I want to/can wait until 2024… but should I try to hold on and wait?

I wonder if it is an absolute stunner the 3rd gen would be better now so that it will not be throwing more money away when the new one comes out.

Thoughts ???

Last edited:

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
I also had 11" 1st gen iPad Pro and upgraded to 3rd gen 11" M1 model a few months ago. IMO, unless you really need pencil hover feature, go for M1, it is a great device, has nice camera (that seems important for filming games) and supports external display (my main reason for upgrading from 1st gen that could just mirror content).

Honestly, I did not feel much performance improvement going from 1st gen to 3rd gen but if open-box do check battery status on that M1 iPad Pro. Comparing to the old 1st gen, I have a feeling it does not last as long even when new so if it has a lot of cycles it would be even worse. While I had to recharge 1st gen once every 3-4 days, I have to do it every 2-3 days using pretty much the same workflow and apps.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I also had 11" 1st gen iPad Pro and upgraded to 3rd gen 11" M1 model a few months ago. IMO, unless you really need pencil hover feature, go for M1, it is a great device, has nice camera (that seems important for filming games) and supports external display (my main reason for upgrading from 1st gen that could just mirror content).

Honestly, I did not feel much performance improvement going from 1st gen to 3rd gen but if open-box do check battery status on that M1 iPad Pro. Comparing to the old 1st gen, I have a feeling it does not last as long even when new so if it has a lot of cycles it would be even worse. While I had to recharge 1st gen once every 3-4 days, I have to do it every 2-3 days using pretty much the same workflow and apps.
Good insights. Thanks!

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I went for the M1 (gen3) over the z12(Gen2) mainly for the Thunderbolt/USB-C and ability to dock the device and use a second screen. Have the 16gb/2tb cellular version and it has been fantastic to be honest. But, stage manager and using a second screen isn't as good as using a Mac or PC with a second Screen but its slowly getting there and I do use it a lot. I went for a logitech detachable keyboard with mine to get a stand and rubberised protection, workes very well.

I have been running 17.1 and now 17.1.1 and it is working perfectly with the device, they have corrected some bugs in iOS 17 that annoyed me such as being able to choose what speaker output you wanna have if you hook it up to an external source.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSENNY25

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Thanks for the advice.
I am now either going M1 or waiting…..but leaning towards M1
I realize I wrote the wrong name of the port, I wrote lightning but of course I meant Thunderbolt/USB-C, I edited the post above. You prob knew this already, but just to make sure.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I realize I wrote the wrong name of the port, I wrote lightning but of course I meant Thunderbolt/USB-C, I edited the post above. You prob knew this already, but just to make sure.
All good!

Yes, I did. But I understood the sentiment

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.