Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Considering my needs, should I get the 12.9 IPAD pro (4GB Ram) or the 9.7 IPAD pro (2GB Ram)

• IPAD Pro 9.7 (2GB RAM)

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • IPAD Pro 12.9 (4GB RAM)

Votes: 23 62.2%

• Total voters

jomsjoms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
I was set to get the IPAD Pro 9.7 even with 2GB ram but my plan got halted after watching this youtube video showing how much better the IPAD Pro 12.9 with 4GB ram was against the Air2 with 2GB ram.

I use my IPAD for Email, youtube, facebook but mainly for browsing and I open a LOT of tabs (25+). I know that a simple solution for this is to just close the tabs but I DON'T want to. Please let's not argue this point anymore and take it as a given.

Anyway, I've read somewhere that 2GB could still perform good with 25+ tabs if I used something like a popup blocker? Has anybody tried this?

I love the size of the 9.7 Pro but I really hate for my tabs to keep reloading.

I love the 4GB ram of the 12.9 Pro but Im not to keen on the weight and size.

Question now is, should I go for the 9.7 IPAD pro (2GB) and hope that the 2GB Ram could handle my Safari tabs or should I just get the big IPAD pro with 4GB to ensure that my Tabs would not refresh and just make do with the added size/weight.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks.

(Again, please don't suggest for me to just close tabs. I don't want to get into this discussion anymore. Thanks)

Reactions: bchreng

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I was set to get the IPAD Pro 9.7 even with 2GB ram but my plan got halted after watching this youtube video showing how much better the IPAD Pro 12.9 with 4GB ram was against the Air2 with 2GB ram.

I use my IPAD for Email, youtube, facebook but mainly for browsing and I open a LOT of tabs (25+). I know that a simple solution for this is to just close the tabs but I DON'T want to. Please let's not argue this point anymore and take it as a given.

Anyway, I've read somewhere that 2GB could still perform good with 25+ tabs if I used something like a popup blocker? Has anybody tried this?

Question now is, should I go for the 9.7 IPAD pro (2GB) and hope that the 2GB Ram could handle my Safari tabs or should I just get the big IPAD pro with 4GB to ensure that my Tabs would not refresh and just make do with the added size/weight.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks.

(Again, please don't suggest for me to just close tabs. I don't want to get into this discussion anymore. Thanks)
Its much better because the larger ipad pro actually has 3.8 GB of usable ram which is quite a large amount for a iOS device (proven by a friend who jailbroke his device). The rest of the ram is being utilized by the OS and screen. If you enjoy opening tons of tabs, get the larger device. If you can settle with less tabs and a less future proof device, go for the smaller device.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I've seen that test, but whether to get the 12.9 Pro over the 9.7" should rest more on if this iPad will go outside the home and if you are really fine with having a larger screen device.

Are you near a store to test-drive them?

jomsjoms

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2016
Get the 12.9 inch iPad. Its just gonna get worse over the years as software updates consume more and more resources and websites get more intense thus using more ram. Yes an ad-blocker can help, but thats just a bandaid solution.

What would be the best add-blocker available? It's ok for me to pay for the software. I would like to test it on my friend's ipad air 2 and see how many tabs I could open before it refreshes. Thanks

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I'm just wondering but would small ipad pro owners be more satisfied with 3 GB ram? I think this is what Apple should have given it. The best of both worlds since large pro owners would still not feel disenfranchised and small pro owners would at least have more ram than an iPhone SE.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm just wondering but would small ipad pro owners be more satisfied with 3 GB ram? I think this is what Apple should have given it. The best of both worlds since large pro owners would still not feel disenfranchised and small pro owners would at least have more ram than an iPhone SE.

Who can say?

Yeah, 3gb would be better, but really no point in answering what-if scenarios...

Reactions: rui no onna

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Get the giant one.

I only did 15 tabs on my Mini 4 and Pro 9.7 and none refreshed, but I got tired and quit there. Guess I'll have to live with that.
neutral_zpsgeb9ndcq.png

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Because the average person isn't trying to open and leave open 25 tabs on a tablet; let alone a desktop. I can't say I've EVER even had 15 tabs left open at once; it slows down even a PC with 8gb of RAM. At most I will have 3 pinned in chrome and 5-8 tabs; so 10-11 max ever.

Even my gen 4 i5 8gb RAM Lenovo laptop slows down with too many tabs open.

You can only ask so much from a mobile device if you refuse to change your usage habits.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
RAM tends to come in powers of 2. Also, it's quite likely that unlike the big Pro, the small Pro only has space for one RAM module so it's either going to be 2GB or 4GB.

Another thing, given Apple's economies of scale, they're probably better off buying more 2GB LPDDR4 rather than make a small order of 1GB LPDDR4 just so they can put 3GB on the small Pro.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

Your thoughts please.

Thanks.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks.

I have the 12.9 and I'm going to return it for the 9.7. The 12.9 is just too big and I hate the humongous keyboard and not being able to split it. I will say that I did have safari reloading tabs on my iPad Air 2 which is what this video is comparing it to.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

I probably would have bought it had it had 3GB of ram.

Because the average person isn't trying to open and leave open 25 tabs on a tablet; let alone a desktop. I can't say I've EVER even had 15 tabs left open at once; it slows down even a PC with 8gb of RAM. At most I will have 3 pinned in chrome and 5-8 tabs; so 10-11 max ever.

And your statistics on that are?

I'll easily have 20 tabs open doing an Essay for uni. I know plenty of people who keep heaps of tabs open. I'll often have 60 open on my Mac.

Whats that got to do with anything though?? The OP merely asked if based on their browsing habits, which iPad they'd be better off with, and the answer is obviously if nothing else is taken into account, the one with more RAM.

This is why we're all different, we use our devices differently.
[doublepost=1459647197][/doublepost]
What's with you people and tabs? What the hell are you doing with so many tabs open? I use 1 tab, sometimes 2.

Everyone is different. If you're doing certain types of work, especially research work, you will often need many many tabs open.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
Have you used a 12.9 in person? If you like the experience of a big screen, see 4gb as a bonus. If you hate large screen, go ahead and get 9.7.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
What would be the best add-blocker available? It's ok for me to pay for the software. I would like to test it on my friend's ipad air 2 and see how many tabs I could open before it refreshes. Thanks

I honestly have no idea what ad blockers are good as I use an iPad 2 which can't use ad blockers sadly.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
I'm a 2 gig hater, but an iPad Pro 9.7 owner, and I think whether or not tabs reload really depend on what other program you're running. Sometimes I'll have a bunch and I'm good, but if I'm watching HD YouTube or something just having 2 will reload.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
2GB or 4GB the nature of iOS is that tabs might be reloaded at any time. More ram helps, but it's no guarantee.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

1Blocker, I've tried most of them and it's far and away the best one so far.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ram helps or it doesn't. And having more ram is demonstrably better.

The point is that without the benefit of virtual ram on disk, there is no guarantee that you won't see reloading no matter how much ram you have. I acknowledged it helps.

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.