Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asuran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I bought a new iPad Pro a few weeks ago and during use I can hear a buzzing sound coming from the screen. It usually happens when I am playing a game or doing something that I think utilizes the graphics. Sometimes even scrolling on web pages I can hear the noise. It is more prominent when playing games like boom beach or something. So I returned the first one and got another one, but this second one is still making that buzzing sound.

Does anyone else notice this sound when scrolling through web pages or doing anything else? Did I happen to just get two iPads that just have that problem?

I noticed this because I am usually in a quiet area, my old iPad 3 never did this and none of my other Apple devices do this. I am thinking of returning this one also and trying another one.

Asuran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
So since people seem to be talking about the new iPhone 7 making the buzzing sounds, which sounds similar to my original post problem. I wanted to see if anyone else has tried to listen to their iPad. I find it funny how I mentioned this issue well before the new iPhone's were released but didn't get any real feedback. Now there are a lot of people complaining about the same issue I had but with the iPhone 7.

Can someone test their 9.7" iPad Pro in a quiet room and have the sound off and load a game that's graphic intensive or some web page that also requires a lot of processor power and scroll through the page to see if you can hear the buzzing noises. Some news websites with a lot of pictures and such usually causes the problem for me.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2013
I bought a new iPad Pro a few weeks ago and during use I can hear a buzzing sound coming from the screen. It usually happens when I am playing a game or doing something that I think utilizes the graphics. Sometimes even scrolling on web pages I can hear the noise. It is more prominent when playing games like boom beach or something. So I returned the first one and got another one, but this second one is still making that buzzing sound.

Does anyone else notice this sound when scrolling through web pages or doing anything else? Did I happen to just get two iPads that just have that problem?

I noticed this because I am usually in a quiet area, my old iPad 3 never did this and none of my other Apple devices do this. I am thinking of returning this one also and trying another one.

Are you using a UAG case for ipad pro? If so, your ipad is COMPLETELY normal and it's the case's magnet that's interfering with the iPad somehow and causing that noise. Try removing the case and see if it makes the noise when scrolling. I had to return my UAG case because it was causing that ridiculous buzzing noise.

Asuran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Are you using a UAG case for ipad pro? If so, your ipad is COMPLETELY normal and it's the case's magnet that's interfering with the iPad somehow and causing that noise. Try removing the case and see if it makes the noise when scrolling. I had to return my UAG case because it was causing that ridiculous buzzing noise.

Wow, thanks a lot for your help! I think that is the issue. I took it out of the case and it stopped making the buzzing sounds. I tried it with different web sites too.

What case did you end up going with?

I contacted UAG to try and return the item or get a replacement that does not cause this issue, let's see what they say.

** Warning to anyone else who plans to buy UAG case for their iPad, stay away from them or you may end up getting that buzzing sound. **

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3J0YZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2013
Wow, thanks a lot for your help! I think that is the issue. I took it out of the case and it stopped making the buzzing sounds. I tried it with different web sites too.

What case did you end up going with?

I contacted UAG to try and return the item or get a replacement that does not cause this issue, let's see what they say.

** Warning to anyone else who plans to buy UAG case for their iPad, stay away from them or you may end up getting that buzzing sound. **

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B3J0YZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm glad you were able to figure out the problem! I ended up getting a smart case & cover from Apple. I still like the UAG case better but I didn't want to risk causing other problems.

Reactions: jyhash

Gwaihirf22

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2016
Definitely go get a new one. I just checked mine as well and it was completely silent

I have the same issue. I love my case though. It's it going to cause a problem?
[doublepost=1483170787][/doublepost]Did anyone get UAG to send them a case that doesn't interfere with whatever it is?
I have been using my case for over 7 months without an issue.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
I have this issue on my iPad Pro 9.7" model. If you are ina room that is very quiet and scroll up and down you will hear a weird screeching like noise which is pretty irritating. You have to be in a quiet room though to hear it.

Mikorka

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
Hungary
I have an UAG case with the same problem.
I will try it in a quiet room.
I dont know, is the UAG case the source of the problem or only makes the noise lauder?
How dou you think, this is harmfull for the Ipad?
I tried to use the IPad without the UAG, and maybe the battery lasts longer (placebo?).

Mikorka

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
Hungary
Hello everybody!
Yesterday evening I found the source of the noise. (Sorry for my English)

It is NOT the noise of the screen, it's come BEHIND the Screen, maybe te noise of the CHIP?

Yesterday evening I couldn't sleep, i was in a very quiet room, i tried to find the source.
Follow these steps:
- Take off every case, you need just the Ipad
- Start an app needed high resources (a game, or a Benchmark program, Antutu etc.)
- Turn back your Ipad
- Put the back of the Ipad directly to your ear (if you wear glasses, take them off)

And you Will hear the noises.

In these pictures you can see the source of the noises:
Ipad0.jpg

Ipad0.jpg

Ipad2.jpg

Ipad2.jpg

BUT!
I have tired the AIR2 of my wife, and has similar (not same ) noises. So these are the noises of the CHIp, ram, rom?

If the Item is in the UAG noises are louder. WHY?
a, Maybe the noises of the chip are the same, but the special form, materials of the case overtone it (green) (I have taken off the cover, noises are the same)
or
b, There is a strong magnet in the case (i have tried it) Maybe this magnet influences the chip? (red)

Ipad3.jpg
Ipad3.jpg

I'm looking for your ideas, tips and tests :)
Thank you

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Hello everybody!
Yesterday evening I found the source of the noise. (Sorry for my English)

It is NOT the noise of the screen, it's come BEHIND the Screen, maybe te noise of the CHIP?

Yesterday evening I couldn't sleep, i was in a very quiet room, i tried to find the source.
Follow these steps:
- Take off every case, you need just the Ipad
- Start an app needed high resources (a game, or a Benchmark program, Antutu etc.)
- Turn back your Ipad
- Put the back of the Ipad directly to your ear (if you wear glasses, take them off)

And you Will hear the noises.

In these pictures you can see the source of the noises:
View attachment 682615

View attachment 682615

View attachment 682616

View attachment 682616

BUT!
I have tired the AIR2 of my wife, and has similar (not same ) noises. So these are the noises of the CHIp, ram, rom?

If the Item is in the UAG noises are louder. WHY?
a, Maybe the noises of the chip are the same, but the special form, materials of the case overtone it (green) (I have taken off the cover, noises are the same)
or
b, There is a strong magnet in the case (i have tried it) Maybe this magnet influences the chip? (red)

View attachment 682617
View attachment 682617

I'm looking for your ideas, tips and tests :)
Thank you
Yes, this is where the noises come from
But even if you take off the case it still makes noises, right?

Mikorka

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017
Hungary

Yes, there is a noise but not so loud
(The Air2 has a noise too)
[doublepost=1483981532][/doublepost]

But the position of the strong magnet of the case and the position of the Chip worries me. o_O

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Yes, there is a noise but not so loud
(The Air2 has a noise too)
[doublepost=1483981532][/doublepost]

But the position of the strong magnet of the case and the position of the Chip worries me. o_O
This morning I found the nois to bug me while in bed. I took off the UAG cas and noise was pretty much gone. So yes the side that they designed their case to have the magnet on is what creates this noise. Perhaps they should have designed magnet to be on other side. Seems like magnet was designed to be on the wrong side.

pat90

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2017
I have the same exact case I took my iPad Pro 9.7 inch out the buzzing stop. Put my iPad back in the case the buzzing came back. So I examined the case to see were that magnet was found it and took the magnet out and it solved the problem.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
IMG_4386.JPG
I have the same exact case I took my iPad Pro 9.7 inch out the buzzing stop. Put my iPad back in the case the buzzing came back. So I examined the case to see were that magnet was found it and took the magnet out and it solved the problem.
Makes you wonder how the smartphones work with magnetic smartphone holders. I will do some testing

7homas_

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017

[doublepost=1496669712][/doublepost]Same here with the iPad Air 2 it drives insane especially when quiet I have never dropped it or damaged it done it for the whole year I have owned it going to apple asap

Reactions: stylinexpat

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I thought this was diagnosed as Coil Whine late last year? That should be independent of any case over the device.

StevO914

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2017
I have the same problem (popping or cracking noise) it’s the second replacement that I have. It is a physical problem very subtle and it is still present when the iPad
Pro 2017 is turned off.

milli moo

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2018

I am using a UAG case and I’ve got this noise. But are you aware of any way this would damage my iPad in the long run?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.