Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you use it to colour grade Apple Log on the iPad Pro?

• Yes, I would

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No, I would not

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I would combine it with work on the mac

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I would only use it on the mac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am not interested

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Will buy/upgrade to iPad Pro for this ability

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I mean, this seems like a pretty interesting product, but is the iMac Pro screen up to the task? Is there some kind of color calibrator for the imac pro? Maybe once the OLED iPads come out?

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I find the Blackmagic range a tad frustrating, as they are 101% focused on movies and -110% on tv news video editing, this device is going to be used by who exactly? If you are grading in the wild, that is just not a great place to grade, you really should be grading in the color space room, that has the right lighting, wall paint to aid, on a grade capable monitor..

I would love to have seen a focus on tv news video editing, with a jog wheel, something like this, that was in the same
orientation as the blackmagic color for ipad, and wanted $1200, buying no questions....this is what I think a controller for Resolve should be, a couple of buttons re-programmed, but overall the design worked....
This is DVCPRO HD, for tv news video editing, this would take seconds what takes minutes to do..
Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 06.49.06.png

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
This is DVCPRO HD, for tv news video editing, this would take seconds what takes minutes to do..
So use that if you prefer.
Create a new discussion in the forum since you are in a different market than the Micro Color Panel is targeting.
AND I'm pretty sure you are not using iPhones to record video in your production either. Which was my point in this discussion.

BlackMagic Design has a professional range, that reaches far beyond what most of us need

Last edited:

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
No, I am not, I am questioning the reason for using an ipad to grade, that is all, really it is such a confusing product, if you are grading, then use something like you suggest,to grade using an ipad, I think is a bit confusing, but your views are vaild, as are mine.. If you have a problem with my post, please comment to the mod, and not on forum.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Perhaps the newest models. I have a 2020 model, and I wouldn’t trust the screen for any kind of critical grading.
The iMac Pro is a 2017 27" 5k desktop model.

Are you talking about the iPad Pro 2020 model with A12Z Bionic chip?
If so, I would agree it is not right for critical grading.

Only iPad Pro 12.9" with M1 and M2 chips have a Liquid Retina XDR Mini LED display.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Gosh, quite confused by the reaction, had to ignore one user, but really, I think that controller, with a minor tweak here and there, and yes for $1500-$2000, I would seriously buy for video editing, as it could be so useful, change a few buttons. I could see huge potential in this design, and DVCPRO had so many great controllers, for certain formats of editing, ie tv news, for which BMD created the cut page, a controller like this, OMG, delish.. But oh well.. I guess not..

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Gosh, quite confused by the reaction, had to ignore one user, but really, I think that controller, with a minor tweak here and there, and yes for $1500-$2000, I would seriously buy for video editing, as it could be so useful, change a few buttons. I could see huge potential in this design, and DVCPRO had so many great controllers, for certain formats of editing, ie tv news, for which BMD created the cut page, a controller like this, OMG, delish.. But oh well.. I guess not..
Yeah I thought that response was rather odd and unnecessarily belligerent, but whatever, it’s the internet. When did ENG folks stop using DVCPro HD? I imagine it was some time ago, as real full HD and 4K systems became available, but maybe I’m wrong. I know when news outlets invest so much in equipment, they’re loathe to make a quick jump to whatever’s new, hence the use of 3/4 SP into the 80s, Betacam up to the 2000s, etc. There was also MPEG IMX and BetaSX but I imagine they’ve moved on from all of these some time ago. What is the standard now for EFP/ENG?

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
We use Panasonic P2 cameras, and Final Cut Pro 7, for the very reason, it still works, and as long as there are ways to overcome issues, we will still stay, maybe in the future migrate to something a bit more modern...

I showed what I thought would be the ideal tool for tv news video editing, that controller has every aspect of tv news video editing covered, and no, I will not be discussing that idea over on the blackmagic forum, I did once and was abused to the point of being banned, only for posting an idea, really brutal abuse, so no..

I have worked in broadcast since the mid 1990's, U matic, to Betacam, to SP, through DVCPRO, then FCP 7 and P2 cards... Having grown up using controllers, no keyboards, I have a deep love of controllers, and if someone started selling that controller for FCP, for $2000, I would fund, no question, as I think it would take minutes off each edit, I could get through the edit faster using a controller.. I miss having the controller, the jog/shuttle, press a button, pressing the auto edit, it helps focus when you don't have the option of a redo...I miss the tape editing so much it hurts..

• Wow
Reactions: profcutter

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I started this post so people who purchased an iPhone 15 Pro will know that they can colour grade video recorded in Apple ProRes Log.

The new Micro Panel is much cheaper ($509), than the old one. And it can just as easily be used with a mac, on macOS.
It is not limited to the iPad. The iPad Pro 12.9" M-series have a better screen than the iMac and the Studio Display, for colouring. And it also capable of showing HDR content. And I believe several of the MacBook versions also has great displays. I just never read about those.

I thought this was great news for amateur video creators. And never expected it to turn into a discussion about professional needs.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 10.51.36.png

Last edited:

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I do not why you even bothered posting an answer then. You could have ticked the box I am not interested
Hmm... Yeah I was bored
On the other hand comments do boost up threads, so that people interested in DaVinci Resolve for iPad Pro could reach this
(And yes i think that Blackmagic's desicion to release it not just for the 12.9" but the 11" was stupid, editing in iPad is far from optimal.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
We use Panasonic P2 cameras, and Final Cut Pro 7, for the very reason, it still works, and as long as there are ways to overcome issues, we will still stay, maybe in the future migrate to something a bit more modern...

I showed what I thought would be the ideal tool for tv news video editing, that controller has every aspect of tv news video editing covered, and no, I will not be discussing that idea over on the blackmagic forum, I did once and was abused to the point of being banned, only for posting an idea, really brutal abuse, so no..

I have worked in broadcast since the mid 1990's, U matic, to Betacam, to SP, through DVCPRO, then FCP 7 and P2 cards... Having grown up using controllers, no keyboards, I have a deep love of controllers, and if someone started selling that controller for FCP, for $2000, I would fund, no question, as I think it would take minutes off each edit, I could get through the edit faster using a controller.. I miss having the controller, the jog/shuttle, press a button, pressing the auto edit, it helps focus when you don't have the option of a redo...I miss the tape editing so much it hurts..
Wow, really? P2 and FCP7? That’s amazing. I had an HVX200 that I was using in 2006, with P2 cards. I realize your machines are going to be higher end, but wow. I always found P2 frustrating because it was soooo expensive, needed a reader, and wasn’t more reliable than CF or SD. I started on 16mm, so I understand the tactile experience that editing can be, and how controllers might be more of what you’re used to.

I remember those 3/4SP decks. Whrrrrrrrrrr. CLUNK! <reversed audio in slow motion> CLUNK! Whirrrrrrr. CLUNK! Playback starts on program deck. CLUNK! I do NOT miss tape dropouts. I actually always wanted an editor to somehow mimic that feel of strips of film taped to the wall, maybe someone can make one for apple vision.

As far as the OP’s controller idea. Yep, seems good there’s a new one and it’s cheaper.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I have ordered the panel today. But I still haven't decided what to purchase to capture video.
I am considering either a Blackmagic 6k Pro or an iPhone 15 Pro model. Most likely, I will go for an iPhone 15 Pro (Max). As it has other capabilities that I would want as well. Like LIDAR scanning.
But the Blackmagic camera is able to use my Canon EF lenses.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I just called the company in Sweden that is an Authorized Reseller. The panel is supposed to arrive this week, and they will ship it to me next week :)
They explained that it was because they had so many orders for this particular panel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.