Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
So finally someone did a fairly decent comparison of the iPad Pro vs. the Cintiq, and it's quite interesting.

He mentions price, clutter, and responsiveness and it does seem like the iPad does a better job than the Wacom.

A few things I've noticed that may be important:

• iPad pro has a resolution of 2732 x 2048 (264 ppi) while the Cintiq is 1920 x 1080 (165 ppi), which is a huge difference.
  • iPad pro screen is made of glass while I think (not sure) the Cintiq is made of plastic.
  • Also iPad is glossy while Cintiq is matt, which makes for a different drawing feeling (matt being easier to control but glossy being smoother and more effortless).
  • iPad can be used wirelessly or wired with AstroPad, and a single cable handles power, display and data, while the Cintiq can only be used with three big wires, a power adapter and a display adapter.
  • Apple pencil doesn't have any buttons, so when using Photoshop that may be an issue (I find myself right clicking and panning/zooming with the Wacom pen very often).
  • Wacom needs a bunch of drivers and control software, as well as setting up a dual-monitor setup, while AstroPad is far more simple to use.
  • Wacom only comes with 6 buttons and they're unlabeled, which makes you rely a lot more on your keyboard and the buttons on the pen.
  • Wacom can "hover" - it knows the position of the pen even if it's not touching the screen, while the Pencil can only report its position when touching the screen. This isn't huge but in Photoshop there are a bunch of cursors that tell you about brush size, tool type, transform controls, etc... that you won't get with the Pencil.
  • Apple Pencil needs to be charged, Wacom Pen does not.
  • Apple Pencil is much thinner, which may be more ergonomic and precise than Wacom's thick pens.
  • While he doesn't say it, it seemed like the iPad was a bit laggy, but he was using it wirelessly. I would guess there would be less lag when connected via USB?
  • The price is almost the same, and the iPad seems to be much better value for money as it's also an iPad.
So anyway looks like Wacom finally no longer holds the graphics tablet monopoly! I'm glad the iPad can compare or even outperform the Cintiq, as there was nothing comparable to it until now.

Reactions: artfossil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.