Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pappl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
Currently i'm using a Macbook Air M1 connected to a Monitor over a single USB-C cable (65W Power Delivery and DP Alt-Mode Video)

I'm planning to use my 12" iPad Pro M1 device and Magic Keyboard as desktop system and replace the MBA.

Today i connected the iPad Pro to the USB-C cable from my external monitor:
iPad Pro Desktop.jpg

iPad Pro <-> USB-C-cable (TB4) <-> Monitor (USB-C PD & DP Alt mode) <-> Monitor (USB-A) -> Cable Mouse

What works:
:)
- Charging works at full speed
- Video out over USB-C (DP Alt Mode) works well, no flickering, immediate connection.
- Monitor turns off when iPad Magic Keyboard is closed (hello MBA)
- Monitor turns on when iPad Magic Keyboard is opened
- My monitor has 3 USB-A ports on the back: A cable mouse connected to the monitor works.
- After tinkering i was able to remove the sidebar in Stage Manager to get TWO almost full screen windows on the external monitor.
- After tinkering i was able to stay with full screen window on iPad screen to not lose screen "real estate" on this small screen.

What not: :confused:
- AUDIO is a mess. As soon as i connect the USB-C cable from the monitor the audio is locked to the monitor speakers:
1. No volume control possible on iPad (not in Control Center, nor with hardware buttons). Only 100% volume out.
2. My monitor has bad speakers, so i am locked to bad speakers.
Else my monitor isn't equipped with Audio Out (3.5mm Jack), so no routing to another Audio System possible. (major problem for me)
Side note: Other users report their monitor have no speakers and then there is no audio. WTF, what was Apple thinking.
3. Audio over Bluetooth is possible, but there is a delay -> Video / Audio always a little out of sync. Very bad.
4. Tried to connect a USB-A to 3.5mm Audio Adapter on the back of the monitor to get Audio out to external speakers.
This works when video is off, but as soon as the Stage Manager kicks in it's locked again to the monitor speakers.
Don't know why Apple does this in iPadOS.
5. I doubt a USB-C Hub with Audio Out in between would allow to route Audio to the Hubs 3.5m Jack.
- The monitor USB-A ports stay awake (power on), even if the iPad is off. Mouse lights stay on. (minor problem)

A single USB-C cable solution would be a:
- Monitor with second USB-C port to route Audio to another device (maybe?) or
- USB4 or Thunderbolt Hub with USB-C Power Delivery AND DP-Alt Mode and no external power brick (because power comes already from the monitor).
But this Hub doesn't exist. :(All Hubs support USB-C Power Delivery only and HDMI-Video or USB-C DP-Alt Mode but no Power Delivery on the same cable.
Other Hubs need more than a single daisy chained USB-C cable (extra HDMI, extra power brick, extra ...)

Anybody running an iPad Desktop with a clean USB-C cable setup and having solutions for Audio Out to external speakers?

Thanks

pappl

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
there is no solution (other than getting a monitor with a jack or better speakers) until Apple changes how iPadOS works. I have tested this with different monitors, you need to go through a hub with multiple cables there is no single cable solution with you monitor.

Reactions: secretk and pappl

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I saw a video of someone with a similar set up. It was one of those “showing off my ipad set up” tours and his solution to your audio mess was to get a couple airplay speakers. He got two homepod minis and connected them and boom. Great sound. Fairly hassle free. I might do something similar this year. Been ipad only for a few years so may as well!

Here’s his set up

Reactions: pappl

pappl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
In the video he is using iPadOS 16, seems prior 16.2 and Stage Manager.
I guess with Stage Manager this option to switch to Airplay Speakers is gone:

1685039732470.png

Image: Screenshot from above video

Tried to switch to my Airplay speakers (non homepods) and they don't show up globally, only as Airplay devices inside apps. So i can stream Apple Music, but nothing else. Seems half baked now.

pappl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
Not worth it. Use your iPad Pro as an extra screen (via Sidecar) to your MBA instead.
Will do until Apple finishes the transition to a real Pro device.

M1. M2, Stage Manager and FCP for iPad are the beginning, but still in early stage (for me).

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I use the Thunderbolt port on my Apple Studio Display and the speakers are pretty good so i never tried using external speakers.

But I’m pretty sure external speakers will work with an external DAC + amplifier connected to the Apple Studio Display, as it also works if I connect directly to the iPad.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Will do until Apple finishes the transition to a real Pro device.

M1. M2, Stage Manager and FCP for iPad are the beginning, but still in early stage (for me).

Why?

Just connect an external DAC + amplifier to your monitor and it should work. It works connected directly to the iPad and I don’t see a reason why it should not work if the monitor acts as a Thunderbolt hub.

pappl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
External DAC requires a monitor with two USB-C Ports, or will it work with 1x USB-C (to iPad) and 3 USB-A (one to DAC)?

If yes, any iPad compatible recommendation for USB DAC?

Last edited:

Global_traveler

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2020
I got a 27” Samsung M80A which is 4K, though my iPad Pro is a 2017 model. The sound and brightness are adjustable, and it has an earphone jack. It has Display Port, USB-C, and HDMI to connect to the iPad. I use HDMI as my old iPad has a Lightning connector. The main problem I have is that my Apple magic mouse loses its screen marker frequently, so I have to fumble around to get it back. I’ve read somewhere that this is a Bluetooth issue when using the keyboard & mouse. I’ll check to see if it’s a problem with the M2 iPad before buying one. Anyone know a work-around?

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I do use my iPad PRO as a desktop replacement with no regrets. Mine is hooked to this Saitech hub. It has an audio jack. In the first day I was wondering why they choose an audio output jack, but I quickly realized why.

iPad PRO as a working computer is not flawless, it has its own demons. But it can handle may needs as an advertisement agency owner.

Global_traveler

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2020
I do use my iPad PRO as a desktop replacement with no regrets. Mine is hooked to this Saitech hub. It has an audio jack. In the first day I was wondering why they choose an audio output jack, but I quickly realized why.

iPad PRO as a working computer is not flawless, it has its own demons. But it can handle may needs as an advertisement agency owner.
It’s not totally bad. The mouse cursor issue is an annoyance, but I’m more annoyed at Apple for not addressing the issue. It occurs with Macs as well. They should be ashamed. There is certainly a learning curve when using an external monitor.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
External DAC requires a monitor with two USB-C Ports, or will it work with 1x USB-C (to iPad) and 3 USB-A (one to DAC)?

If yes, any iPad compatible recommendation for USB DAC?

Mines are a bit expensive ($4000), but I will check if my cheaper old Apogee audio interface works with my M1 12.9 iPad Pro and let you know.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I have my Pebble V3 speakers connected to the USB port in the back of my monitor. The iPad (connected to the USB-C port on the monitor) will automatically default to those when I turn them on. Otherwise, uses the built in monitor speakers. The volume buttons on the iPad control the levels out of the Pebble speakers (and I’d assume any other USB speakers).

goldpin

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2021
I used a 12.9” M2 iPad Pro and Dell U2723QE as my primary computer for a few months. I never tried to get audio working, so can’t help in that regard. Mostly, I think it’s workable, depending on your software needs. For me, the biggest limitation was the iOS version of Excel, both from missing features and not being able to have many files open at once. Made running my home business and accounting too cumbersome. I added a Mac mini as the driver of the Dell display and found that the Universal Control features work so well the iPad functions as a second monitor without needing more cables on the desktop.

Reactions: mr_jomo

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I used a 12.9” M2 iPad Pro and Dell U2723QE as my primary computer for a few months. I never tried to get audio working, so can’t help in that regard. Mostly, I think it’s workable, depending on your software needs. For me, the biggest limitation was the iOS version of Excel, both from missing features and not being able to have many files open at once. Made running my home business and accounting too cumbersome. I added a Mac mini as the driver of the Dell display and found that the Universal Control features work so well the iPad functions as a second monitor without needing more cables on the desktop.

Yep, two open spreadsheets is the limit.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...=Touch, hold, and drag a,open it side-by-side

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
This is something that I really wan't to see in iPadOS soon: Opening two windows of the same app.

I would accomplish so many tasks faster!
You mean like this?

1685930940841.png

Sure, has to be supported by the app, but works pretty sweet for my studying workflow with Goodnotes and PDF Expert.

Attachments

• 1685930853120.png
    1685930853120.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 48

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Sure, has to be supported by the app, but works pretty sweet for my studying workflow with Goodnotes and PDF Expert.

Yes, some apps allow you to have two windows opened in the same view. What would really impact my workflow would be the possibility of two open documents in Affinity Designer. To copy some elements from one window to another one.
That cannot be done in iPadOS.

Well, sort of. As Affinity's files are compatible with the entire suite, I can open a Designer's file in Publisher and copy between them. 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.