Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arfung

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2015
Hi All,

I've been experimenting with the new external monitor support + stage manager. It is pretty impressive so far - iPad Pro connected to Apple Studio display really increases screen real estate.

I notice that when my iPad dims internal screen, the external screen goes black but the external screen never goes to sleep. It looks like the monitor is still on, the backlight is on, but the pixels are all set to black. Are other folks getting this same result? It's minor, but it would be nice if the iPad allowed the external monitor to sleep.

Reactions: boston04and07

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hi All,

I've been experimenting with the new external monitor support + stage manager. It is pretty impressive so far - iPad Pro connected to Apple Studio display really increases screen real estate.

I notice that when my iPad dims internal screen, the external screen goes black but the external screen never goes to sleep. It looks like the monitor is still on, the backlight is on, but the pixels are all set to black. Are other folks getting this same result? It's minor, but it would be nice if the iPad allowed the external monitor to sleep.

I saw a similar post somewhere else and the consensus was that the monitor would not go to sleep - a shortcoming in the iPad's interface.

arfung

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2015
Thanks for your reply. Hopefully, they will fix this in a future release. Doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to fix…

player_one1987

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2021
Yeah this was a glaring error to me as soon as I started using it. I reported it as a bug to Apple, hopefully others have too. This and the fact that I cannot use my Studio Display webcam with the iPad are a couple of the reasons I can’t fully switch to using it yet!

Reactions: boston04and07

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Yeah this was a glaring error to me as soon as I started using it. I reported it as a bug to Apple, hopefully others have too. This and the fact that I cannot use my Studio Display webcam with the iPad are a couple of the reasons I can’t fully switch to using it yet!

Those are my biggest issues as well! I reported feedback to Apple. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

OlesyaPetrova

Suspended
Mar 20, 2023
I have no such thing, everything darkens evenly and at the same time. At least it seems that way to me.
Hi All,

arfung

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2015
Works now for me as well. External screen sleeps when IPad Pro does.

migoelo

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2023
Greetings from Germany! I'm new here on the forum, and unfortunately have to ask some questions now, as I'm now using a new iPad with an external monitor for home use, and have encountered some problems where this forum may be able to help me.

I would like to revisit this thread as I would have an extended question here. I am using a DELL u2720q monitor (27" 4K) on my iPad Pro 11" (2022) via Thunderbolt cable (Cable Matters but also tested DELL original cable). I had the same problems, but they were (almost) fixed with an update. I noticed the following, if I set in the monitor that in standby via the USB-C output connected devices (eg the iPad) should not be charged, it is done so. However, I noticed that even though it is not charging (battery is full), the monitor and the iPad are in standby, the monitor or the connected iPad consistently consumes 10 watts. I am absolutely unclear why this is so, since a connected Windows computer in standby does not require power (consumption then about 0.5 watts). Can anyone explain this? Thanks for your help.

migoelo

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2023
I used an energy meter like this one Basetech right at the wall plug, and connected the monitor to it. I know that the meter is not calibrated, but still the deviation is very large, and indicates an additional consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.