Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
I’m trying…. I’m really trying… but the iPad Pro (4th Gen, 11”) is clearly inferior in many ways.

I’m about to travel, and I want to backup 30 to 50 GB of digital photos daily. I bought an Anker USB 3.0 hub so that I can attach my CFExpress memory card reader and also my SSD drive.

I attached them all together, plugged the power cord into the hub and plugged it into the iPad… and the SSD drive wasn’t recognized. So I unplugged and plugged it in again… recognized. I copied a folder holding 30 GB of photos from the CFExpress card to the SSD drive. About 2/3 of the way into the process, the copy stopped — my SSD drive had dropped off. I re-tried several times without any luck.

I then attached the hub, with all attached peripherals, to my MacBook Pro. Both drives appeared instantly, and the 30 GB file copy took less than one minute. So there’s no problem with the USB hub. I re-attached it all to my iPad Pro, this time, attaching the USB-C power cable to my Magic Keyboard instead of plugging it into the USB hub, and I completed the copy in 3 minutes, 35 seconds. That’s about 1.14 Gbps, compared to the Mac copying at 4 Gbps. The hub says it’s only a 5 Gbit/s hub.

There you have it: Despite its “lightning fast” M2 processor, compared to the M1 CPU in my MacBook, the iPad Pro takes three and a half times as long to copy files. And that’s only if it manages to recognize the same peripherals that my Mac has no difficulty recognizing. Thoughts?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iPadOS is utterly and completely incompetent in terms of USB device support. I’d like to accuse Apple of malicious compliance again but this time it’s the response from customers feedback.
I am still floored by how hard it is to create a copy of a file without moving around or launching other apps. Truly a nightmare to use if file operation is needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.