Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leatherstrip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
Hey!

I am currently studying concept art and I need a drawing tablet. I tried multiple options, but the iPad is by far the best drawing experience. Most people say, if you want to take it serious on your artworks, you need the iPad Pro. The 4GB RAM and the big laminated screen makes it the perfect choice. Most people suggest the 2nd or 3rd gen. Sadly I am on a very tight budget right now and my best bet would be a used 1st gen for around 300$ if I get a lucky deal.

I saw the newest Standard iPad and while I think it is OK for the job, the small screen of 10.2" and the loss of 1GB RAM in comparison to the Pro seems not optimal. Also the price in my country at Amazon is still at 360$. It seems to me that the Pro 1. Gen would be the better bang for the buck deal.

But I heard things that are holding me back:
- Apparently no Apple Support anymore? What does this mean? No security updates?
- iPads tend to get slower over time. In generel; what lifespan does those devices have? How long can I use it if I buy one now?

If I spend 300$ on this it would be great if it still lasts a few years. I know the 1st Gen only got the Pencil v1, but honestly I don't care if it does the job as great as the iPad I tried.

Thank you!!!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
There are rumors that the 1st gen Pros won't get iOS 15. It'll probably still get some security updates for really bad vulnerabilities, though. My devices with iOS 12 have still gotten firmware updates recently.

For me, the main issue when Apple drops iOS support is that some new apps are not available for the older iOS versions. Most existing apps will still work fine, though.

On the upside, no more iOS-related slowdowns when you're no longer receiving iOS updates.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
iPads like most computers from Apple don’t really slow down much anymore in my experience. The first generation is however rather old and outside of the warranty repairs are likely as expensive as the device you buy.

I would aim for at least 6GB RAM, Apple Pencil 2, and not older than a year.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
What iPad did you try? Have you considered a Wacom tablet instead of iPad?

How do you plan to use it?

I am not sure if the first gen iPad Pro would work for you in the long run to be honest. If I am not wrong the first gen came out 2015. You would buy 6 years old device. Apple devices are good but I am not sure that they are that good. Basically I am not sure that the price is worth for this kind of device. I am not even sure that you would find it new. I assume that you will purchase second hand 6 years old device for 300 $. I am not sure how much you can repair it further down the line.

For me it is a risk. I do understand your price constraint, I am just not sure that I would choose to spend that money on a second hand old device and not on a new but rather restricted device.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Hey!

I am currently studying concept art and I need a drawing tablet. I tried multiple options, but the iPad is by far the best drawing experience. Most people say, if you want to take it serious on your artworks, you need the iPad Pro. The 4GB RAM and the big laminated screen makes it the perfect choice. Most people suggest the 2nd or 3rd gen. Sadly I am on a very tight budget right now and my best bet would be a used 1st gen for around 300$ if I get a lucky deal.

I saw the newest Standard iPad and while I think it is OK for the job, the small screen of 10.2" and the loss of 1GB RAM in comparison to the Pro seems not optimal. Also the price in my country at Amazon is still at 360$. It seems to me that the Pro 1. Gen would be the better bang for the buck deal.

But I heard things that are holding me back:
- Apparently no Apple Support anymore? What does this mean? No security updates?
- iPads tend to get slower over time. In generel; what lifespan does those devices have? How long can I use it if I buy one now?

If I spend 300$ on this it would be great if it still lasts a few years. I know the 1st Gen only got the Pencil v1, but honestly I don't care if it does the job as great as the iPad I tried.

Thank you!!!
I have many iPads including the 2015 pro...
It's still a great device and I don't believe it won't get iPadOS 15, I think it will and it's as likely to get 16 as well, which should be a more minor upgrade. It may stop there though. Having said that security on iPad is a almost a non issue... Those that are scared about security tend to be because they think of iPadOS as a desktop OS like MacOS, instead of the totally sandboxed system that it is...
Concerning "iPads tend to get slower over time..." this is mainly due to too little RAM, which the 2015 pro has plenty. It's just as fast as new... I plan to keep using mine for many years to come.... And if your main use is drawing it makes more sense than the iPad 8...
One last point. Battery. If it's bad, you have until next year (March or June, I am not 100% sure) to have it replaced by Apple for $99. They will actually not replace it, but give it a new one for that price. But it has to be in decent hardware condition, so don't get a poor condition one. And it has to be under 80% of full capacity based on Apple measurements, which means around 60-70% based on apps like imazing or coconut....

Reactions: Leatherstrip

Leatherstrip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
There are rumors that the 1st gen Pros won't get iOS 15. It'll probably still get some security updates for really bad vulnerabilities, though. My devices with iOS 12 have still gotten firmware updates recently.
Ok, I googled iOS15 regarding the Pro 2015 and I've only read about iPhones which get no upgrade.
Most existing apps will still work fine, though.
That's the most important, as I only use drawing Apps exclusively.
The first generation is however rather old and outside of the warranty repairs are likely as expensive as the device you buy.
At least the battery change seems to be cheap - if anything other breaks, well that would be quite bad. It is a risk that's for sure... But I can't afford any better. Alternative would be the iPad 8, which is even more far away from what I need. So maybe I will take the risk then.
What iPad did you try? Have you considered a Wacom tablet instead of iPad?
(...)
For me it is a risk. I do understand your price constraint, I am just not sure that I would choose to spend that money on a second hand old device and not on a new but rather restricted device.
iPad Pro 2. I considered a Wacom and tried a Cintiq 16, I also tried a Huion. Both feel not nearly as fluid and natural as the iPad. And both got screens that can't compete even with the cheapest Tablet in terms of contrast, color and clarity. I also tend to draw a lot more if I have somehting that is easy to pick up (source: Samsung Galaxy Tablet I used for scribbles some years ago. The newer Samsung devices are not as good, and the old model isn't available anymore)

I know it is a risk... But it seems like the biggest problem is the battery. and that one can be replaced relatively cheap as someone wrote. So maybe it is worth the risk...
I have many iPads including the 2015 pro...
It's still a great device and I don't believe it won't get iPadOS 15, I think it will and it's as likely to get 16 as well, which should be a more minor upgrade. It may stop there though.
Concerning "iPads tend to get slower over time..." this is mainly due to too little RAM, which the 2015 pro has plenty. It's just as fast as new...
One last point. Battery. If it's bad, you have until next year (March or June, I am not 100% sure) to have it replaced by Apple for $99. They will actually not replace it, but give it a new one for that price. But it has to be in decent hardware condition, so don't get a poor condition one.
Oh ok cool, thx for your detailed answer. You gave me some positive thoughts on that. I just don't want to get the iPad 8 because it seems rather lackluster, even compared to the Pro 2015.

I hope, that it doesn't stop working in 2 months. And I hope that yours also stays alive. The thing with the battery is a gamechanger. Good condition... well that is lottery right? Do you know if scraps or bumps in the backside are contributing to this condition% ?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Ok, I googled iOS15 regarding the Pro 2015 and I've only read about iPhones which get no upgrade.

That's the most important, as I only use drawing Apps exclusively.

At least the battery change seems to be cheap - if anything other breaks, well that would be quite bad. It is a risk that's for sure... But I can't afford any better. Alternative would be the iPad 8, which is even more far away from what I need. So maybe I will take the risk then.

iPad Pro 2. I considered a Wacom and tried a Cintiq 16, I also tried a Huion. Both feel not nearly as fluid and natural as the iPad. And both got screens that can't compete even with the cheapest Tablet in terms of contrast, color and clarity. I also tend to draw a lot more if I have somehting that is easy to pick up (source: Samsung Galaxy Tablet I used for scribbles some years ago. The newer Samsung devices are not as good, and the old model isn't available anymore)

I know it is a risk... But it seems like the biggest problem is the battery. and that one can be replaced relatively cheap as someone wrote. So maybe it is worth the risk...

Oh ok cool, thx for your detailed answer. You gave me some positive thoughts on that. I just don't want to get the iPad 8 because it seems rather lackluster, even compared to the Pro 2015.

I hope, that it doesn't stop working in 2 months. And I hope that yours also stays alive. The thing with the battery is a gamechanger. Good condition... well that is lottery right? Do you know if scraps or bumps in the backside are contributing to this condition% ?
Mine is new since I replaced my 2015 one mid-January as I explained to you, so battery is currently 104%....
I don't know to what point it has to be in good condition, but they will inspect it and they told me, don't damage it while you wait for the new one.... (it takes some days for the new one to arrive as they generally have to order one).
My guess is a couple of bumps and minor scratches are fine, but the glass has to be very good. Also mind you, don't count on the replacement, because if the battery is good and you get one with a scratched screen, even if they accept it, it won't pass the battery wear test....
My suggestion buy a good screen protector, it will also make the pencil feel much nicer. I use one from AtFoliX, it's the best brand I have tried, and I have tried many...
Compared to the 8th gen the 2015 pro has laminated display, and above all a much larger one, plus things you might not need like much better speakers and USB 3.0.

Leatherstrip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
Compared to the 8th gen the 2015 pro has laminated display, and above all a much larger one, plus things you might not need like much better speakers and USB 3.0.
The Pro seems to be out of reach, even a used one, 6 year old tablet is still 600$, few ones 800$. Hell, even broken ones, looking like they were treated like **** and kicked through the room (how people treat their devices?) go away for 350$. This is ridiculous.

2nd and 3rd gen is even harder. I saw multiple third gens with totally shattered screen, going away for ~700$. Wtf. I don't get this. I mean, it is kind of funny, but seems rather dumb to me.

Maybe I stay at paper for the moment. If you want to do digital comfortable, fluid and with good screen quality, you have to dig really deep in the pocket.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The Pro seems to be out of reach, even a used one, 6 year old tablet is still 600$, few ones 800$. Hell, even broken ones, looking like they were treated like **** and kicked through the room (how people treat their devices?) go away for 350$. This is ridiculous.

2nd and 3rd gen is even harder. I saw multiple third gens with totally shattered screen, going away for ~700$. Wtf. I don't get this. I mean, it is kind of funny, but seems rather dumb to me.

Maybe I stay at paper for the moment. If you want to do digital comfortable, fluid and with good screen quality, you have to dig really deep in the pocket.
Strange, I have seen the 12.9 for 350 in great condition locally, but I don't know in your country....
As for your original message (edited in the meantime...) avoid the 10.5, I have it and I would like to sell it. Many develop a white spot over time and it's annoying... (mine did too). Avoid anything 10.5, including the air 3... they all seem to tend risk to get the white spot....

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020

One of the main reasons to buy apple products. Even if they are beat beyond all recognition some idiot will still pay top dollar for it. As for the original question, I think you would be better off saving up some more money and buying a new Air with pencil. Great device for what you are looking at doing.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Only because some other idiot (you or I) paid even "topper" dollar for it in the first place.
At least when I pay topper dollar it's new and works. Rather that than cracked screens dents and scratches everywhere. I wanted to buy a used Macbook pro and everything out there is beat like they used it as a hammer. But at least when someone buys a used device off me it's in like new condition. My iPad 2 is upstairs now being used as a clock and it still looks exactly as if I took it out of the box yesterday.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The same thing would apply to iPads that have the exact same chipset.
A9X is iPad only, my guess is that it will be treated like A10 so as long as A10 sticks around it will stick too.
The most IOS15 can discontinue IMO is A8, A8X and A9... A9X and A10 should stick around a couple more years

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I’ve not noticed any performance issues with my 2015 iPad Pro, though it is mostly used by my son and his best friend for their digital drawing needs nowadays. I’ve had it since day 1 of release.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

I had a look on ebay and you can find some 128GB devices in decent condition for under $450, which I know it's still expensive, especially with shipment and duties if you are not in the US, but it's still less than $600 and again, I have seen it at under $400 locally but strangely it seems prices have gone slightly up instead of down... but it also shows how the first pro is still a very decent device, contrary to many other old iPads...

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Which is all nothing but speculation at this point because Apple hasn’t even introduced the beta yet. With a growing services sector hardware might stick around longer.
Rumors have suggested so. Why complain about "speculation" or rumors on a site that is largely focused on rumors? That seems very counterproductive.
A9X is iPad only, my guess is that it will be treated like A10 so as long as A10 sticks around it will stick too.
The most IOS15 can discontinue IMO is A8, A8X and A9... A9X and A10 should stick around a couple more years
There is very little difference between the A9 and the A9X other than increased graphical capabilities with the A9X. Otherwise, general performance is identical. Just take a look at the clock speed of both chips.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Rumors have suggested so. Why complain about "speculation" or rumors on a site that is largely focused on rumors? That seems very counterproductive.

There is very little difference between the A9 and the A9X other than increased graphical capabilities with the A9X. Otherwise, general performance is identical. Just take a look at the clock speed of both chips.
They are far from identical. A9X is 25% faster than A9, including in terms of clock speed (2250 vs 1800), while only around 10% slower than A10, which while technically quadcore, is essentially just a dual core chip too since it has only 2 performance cores (while A10X has 3).
In terms of RAM A9 on iPad has only 2GB RAM with A9X can have 4, more than A10 with 2 or 3....
So I think it's reasonable to say that A9X is (much) closer to A10 than it is to A9...

DoghouseMike

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2011
UK
Worth bearing in mind is that lack of software updates =/= stops working. Even if iOS 15 does drop support, whatever you buy will continue to do everything it did the day before 15 is announced/released/whatever. Possibly even more for apps that continue to run on 14.
Also, with new pros rumoured to be imminent, that’ll probably knock the price of all the older models down a notch.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I am simply pointing out that it’s guessing and that anything can happen. Tech has plateaued, services are important and nothing ever stays the same in tech.

But as an owner of the device, as stated, I wouldn’t get it again at this point in time.

Leatherstrip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2021
I had a look on ebay and you can find some 128GB devices in decent condition for under $450, which I know it's still expensive, especially with shipment and duties if you are not in the US, but it's still less than $600 and again, I have seen it at under $400 locally but strangely it seems prices have gone slightly up instead of down... but it also shows how the first pro is still a very decent device, contrary to many other old iPads...
Yeah I am from Europe and because I want to avoid unnecessary shipment costs, I try not to buy anything outside my country. Even ordering from France can lead to serious surcharge... US I don't even know what could happen.

The cheapest one which "seems" to be in good condition (bad fotos) currently starts at 430 bucks. But if I have to buy the pencil afterwards, it gets too expensive for me. More trustworthy ones start at 500-550. Without the pencil.

Nonetheless, thanks for your answers. I am sure, other people also will find this helpfull. I am convinced, that the iPad is the perfect tool. But with my budget, maybe it isn't the appropriate choice atm.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah I am from Europe and because I want to avoid unnecessary shipment costs, I try not to buy anything outside my country. Even ordering from France can lead to serious surcharge... US I don't even know what could happen.

The cheapest one which "seems" to be in good condition (bad fotos) currently starts at 430 bucks. But if I have to buy the pencil afterwards, it gets too expensive for me. More trustworthy ones start at 500-550. Without the pencil.

Nonetheless, thanks for your answers. I am sure, other people also will find this helpfull. I am convinced, that the iPad is the perfect tool. But with my budget, maybe it isn't the appropriate choice atm.
I see, I am from French Switzerland, so I totally see your point... Hope you'll manage to find a good unit at a decent price soon...

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
They are far from identical. A9X is 25% faster than A9, including in terms of clock speed (2250 vs 1800), while only around 10% slower than A10, which while technically quadcore, is essentially just a dual core chip too since it has only 2 performance cores (while A10X has 3).
In terms of RAM A9 on iPad has only 2GB RAM with A9X can have 4, more than A10 with 2 or 3....
So I think it's reasonable to say that A9X is (much) closer to A10 than it is to A9...
The A9 and A9X chips are the only exceptions. What I said still applies to the A8/A8X, A10/A10X, A12/A12X, etc. They all have very similar clock speeds.
I am simply pointing out that it’s guessing and that anything can happen. Tech has plateaued, services are important and nothing ever stays the same in tech.

But as an owner of the device, as stated, I wouldn’t get it again at this point in time.
It's a highly educated guess with thought put into it.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The A9 and A9X chips are the only exceptions. What I said still applies to the A8/A8X, A10/A10X, A12/A12X, etc. They all have very similar clock speeds.

It's a highly educated guess with thought put into it.

Its a guess regarding iPhones. Then you guess iPads are following suit. May happen may not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.