Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Apple introduced the iPad Pro as a device that could get away with being larger and heavier because it wasn't trying to be quite as mobile as the other iPads, yet was still more mobile than a full-fledged computer. The trouble is that many of us who have been using iPads professionally have been doing so for the portability, and yet Apple introduced some killer features (a stylus - finally! - and what isn't yet confirmed to be 4 GB of RAM, which is double that of the rest of the latest i-devices) that are only available in that larger form.

In my case, I'm a medical professional based primarily in the hospital, rather than the office setting. I use my iPad mini as a paper replacement (bearing with the fat-tipped styluses up to this point), to tie into the hospital's electronic record system, and to carry the majority of my text references with me. My white coat pockets are large enough to fit a full-sized standard iPad (the version before the Air, which was 7.31 inches wide), but that's it; the iPad Pro, with its width of 8.68 inches (two inches wider than an iPad Air) is probably not going to be able to fit.

Short of going to the tailor to have larger, reinforced pockets, I've been trying to find another solution. There are all sorts of briefcases and slings designed for MacBooks that the iPad Pro would probably fit... or is there something better?

So I put it to the community - for those of you who find yourselves wishing for a smaller form factor, but who are willing to endure the larger size in order to attain the offered features, how are you planning on coping with the larger size while maintaining your mobility?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
iPad Pro is going to be, IMHO, too big for rounds or pocket reference. An iPad mini 4 with a Bluetooth stylus is a better option. That said, I usually use my iPad either seated at a desk or on the couch, so I'm most interested in one.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
To use it at the workplace, you might want to go for something like this

rusi_concepts_the_handle_ipad_2_3_bumper_parts.jpg

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
I suggest you waiting for spring to see what air 3 will carry.... Probably stylus support and better screen body ratio
Other than that add a larger pocket to your clothes...
Only a question how do you walk with such a big device in your pocket? I cannot see myself with this device inserted in a gigantic pocket while walking and working in hospital....
Mini 4 is probably the way to go

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Ha, I can't imagine carrying this in a pocket...perhaps a slim saddle bag type thing. Or like the picture above, inside a reinforced hardcase. I'm sure there will be plenty of options from third party by the time this thing launches in a few months.

Mystro

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Smart Cover then carried in a neoprene sleeve. There will be lots of carry option cases once it's been released.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
A small messenger or muzetto bag? I don't see the iPad Pro as being able to easily fit into an article of clothing? It will be interesting to see what some of the bag makers come up with.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I suggest you waiting for spring to see what air 3 will carry....

I don't recall them saying something is coming in the Spring so I wouldn't count on it. the iPad Air size will likely pick up the newer screen etc next year in the fall. The Mini might also get these features but I won't be shocked if the smaller size makes this less than a good idea and it doesn't.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
I have a slot for the iPad Pro built into my camera bag already. It's going to be a MacBook Air replacement. I'm also going to try to put it in my SEV products but I have a feeling it may not fit. I probably need to see if Scott Jordan has anything lined up for the iPad pro.

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
I don't recall them saying something is coming in the Spring so I wouldn't count on it. the iPad Air size will likely pick up the newer screen etc next year in the fall. The Mini might also get these features but I won't be shocked if the smaller size makes this less than a good idea and it doesn't.
Of corse, but a month or two never killed anyone... He already has a mini
If some rumors about air 3 will emerged he could wait for the upgrade... Last year we know pretty much everything about the new MacBook...
I'm trying to suggest the best solution, since a pro in a large pouch, from my experience is not very practical.... But this is my opinion
Probably apple would upgrade the air 3 in autumn but who knows?
In my opinion the rumors that the mini 4 would be the last one suggest that the air and the mini faith would merge: if the air would receive a full screen option without bezels ( maybe with Touch ID embedded into the screen) we could easily have a device with a similar footprint of the mini and the screen of the air

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
image.jpeg
I've got a man bag for my mini and a matching one for my 13" air that I sold a while back so it'll come out of retirement.

Darker brown than pictured.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
It's made by fossil
Thanks. That looks to be the Fossil Estate NS City Bag. Fossil has a few nice-looking messenger bags in that style, actually... I'm used to messenger bags being fairly long, but these ones look nice as they're a bit more vertical, which would work nicely for the iPad. I'll look at their other styles and will be giving these strong consideration.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks. That looks to be the Fossil Estate NS City Bag. Fossil has a few nice-looking messenger bags in that style, actually... I'm used to messenger bags being fairly long, but these ones look nice as they're a bit more vertical, which would work nicely for the iPad. I'll look at their other styles and will be giving these strong consideration.
Yep I prefer the portrate orientation messenger bags hence my choice. Both of mine are a couple of years old but still look like new and fossil still sell them so they must be good lol

Reactions: Ledgem
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.