Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TerryX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2023
Hi, sorry to bother you all, but this problem has been bothering me for a while.

My setup:

Mac Pro 6,1 (Monterey 12.7.2) + CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock, via Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable and Apple Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

Currently, there is only one DisplayPort cable connected to the dock, and the dock is connected to its own power supply.

The problem:

When I connect my iPad Pro 12,9 M1 to any USB C port in the dock, tried the cable of Apple and CalDigit, it only shows charging, but cannot be displayed in the "Finder". With the help of CalDigit officials, I updated the dock driver, but the problem remains. I'm guessing it's a Thunderbolt 2 bandwidth issue, because I have no problem connecting the dock to my Macbook Pro 2019.

So I would like to know if anyone has encountered the same problem and if there is a solution? If it doesn't work, I will have to give up on this setup.

Much appreciated with all of your reply.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Hi, sorry to bother you all, but this problem has been bothering me for a while.

My setup:

Mac Pro 6,1 (Monterey 12.7.2) + CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 Dock, via Apple Thunderbolt 2 cable and Apple Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

Currently, there is only one DisplayPort cable connected to the dock, and the dock is connected to its own power supply.

The problem:

When I connect my iPad Pro 12,9 M1 to any USB C port in the dock, tried the cable of Apple and CalDigit, it only shows charging, but cannot be displayed in the "Finder". With the help of CalDigit officials, I updated the dock driver, but the problem remains. I'm guessing it's a Thunderbolt 2 bandwidth issue, because I have no problem connecting the dock to my Macbook Pro 2019.

So I would like to know if anyone has encountered the same problem and if there is a solution? If it doesn't work, I will have to give up on this setup.

It's not going to be bandwidth, because the iPad can connect over a standard USB2 connection. If the iPad is the only device that fails to get a connection happening (tried testing an iPhone?), more likely it's an authentication handshake failure.

What happens if you plug it in to a usb port directly on the Mac?

You've tried all the USB A ports on the dock?

TerryX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2023
It's not going to be bandwidth, because the iPad can connect over a standard USB2 connection. If the iPad is the only device that fails to get a connection happening (tried testing an iPhone?), more likely it's an authentication handshake failure.

What happens if you plug it in to a usb port directly on the Mac?

You've tried all the USB A ports on the dock?
Thanks for your reply. Only my iPad Pro M1 has this problem, my iPad 10,5 works well. When I plug in directly on the Mac, no problem. The USB A same with the USB C.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Thanks for your reply. Only my iPad Pro M1 has this problem, my iPad 10,5 works well. When I plug in directly on the Mac, no problem. The USB A same with the USB C.
What happens if you plug a usb hub into the TB3 dock, and then plug the ipad pro into that? Or into a downstream usb port on the monitor, if it has a separate downstream usb cable.

TerryX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2023
What happens if you plug a usb hub into the TB3 dock, and then plug the ipad pro into that? Or into a downstream usb port on the monitor, if it has a separate downstream usb cable.
Sorry, I can't complete this test because I don't have the conditions.

TerryX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2023

My setup:

The problem:

Edit: Problem solved! After added un adapter (usb c to usb a) on the thunderbolt 3 port, then connect iPad Pro with a usb a to usb c cable. Really ridiculous!

Capture d’écran 2024-02-02 à 17.54.02.png

Reactions: mattspace
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.