Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hi,

I’ve seen the big improvements of iPadOS 17 recently when plugged into a monitor. I have an Apple Studio Display and an M2 iPad Pro and have seen it works great however my main question is how does this work with a usb-c dongle? Does the dongle need to have thunderbolt or will a normal usb-c dongle with 10gbps be enough for 5k?

Does anyone know of a good dongle they use?

Thanks

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
It sort of depends on the display you're trying to use with USB-C (resolution, interface, etc.) - are you talking about the Studio Display itself? In other words, what are you trying to do that the Studio Display can't be plugged in directly?

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Yeah so I want to use the Apple Studio Display. Now I would normally just plug the Thunderbolt cable directly into the iPad but if I want to use a dock to add SD card reader, USB ports etc. Am I right in thinking I’d have to plug in the dock or dongle into the iPad and then the thunderbolt cable would have to plug in the dock or dongle and pass through that? Thanks

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Yeah so I want to use the Apple Studio Display. Now I would normally just plug the Thunderbolt cable directly into the iPad but if I want to use a dock to add SD card reader, USB ports etc. Am I right in thinking I’d have to plug in the dock or dongle into the iPad and then the thunderbolt cable would have to plug in the dock or dongle and pass through that? Thanks
Oh! Got it. Skip all of that, and just plug the USB-C dock/dongle into the ports on the display itself rather than into the iPad, and keep the Thunderbolt single cable to the iPad. Should work fine!

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Oh! Got it. Skip all of that, and just plug the USB-C dock/dongle into the ports on the display itself rather than into the iPad, and keep the Thunderbolt single cable to the iPad. Should work fine!
Ah brill. So would all the ports work as intended on the iPad this way? Almost using a dock (within the display) within another dock? If I added an sd card reader or headphones etc into the dongle. Thanks again!

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Ah brill. So would all the ports work as intended on the iPad this way? Almost using a dock (within the display) within another dock? If I added an sd card reader or headphones etc into the dongle. Thanks again!
I would say they *should* with the caveat that I haven't tried it, but it should function just like a USB-C hub attached to your iPad (because functionally, that's exactly what it is). I have had very good luck with almost every USB device that works on my Mac also working on my iPad!

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
Using an 11 inch IPP as a desktop replacement, the OWC thunderbolt hub functions well with an iFi & IKKO audio DACs

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0244.jpeg
    IMG_0244.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.